(Fiction)Neutralizing the Ooze

EM EchoEM Echo Posts: 165Event Moderator

Brother Andrew looked up from his work bench as Taryn Sullivan entered the small lab at the back of the Abbey. He picked up a cloth from the table where he’d laid it earlier and mopped his brow.

“Taryn, my dear,” he said quietly, “This was quite a puzzle your brought me. I think I have solved it, at least enough to stop any further damage. I’ve tested this against the sample you brought me and it seems to neutralize the destructive elements.”

He handed Taryn a small vial of liquid that shimmered a luminescent green in the candlelight, “If you pour two drops onto the puddles of ooze, it should cover and disperse the toxicity. Unfortunately, the plants that were affected cannot be saved. The land should be healed, however, and no further damage should occur. Perhaps when spring comes the normal growing season will take over and put things to rights.”

Taryn examined the small vial before slipping it into her pocket carefully.

“I’m sure the citizens will be relieved to have this blight stopped. I’ll go now and treat the spots I can find,” Taryn said as she walked to the door. “Hopefully Spring will take care of the rest as you said.”

Brother Andrew walked to the sideboard and poured himself a hot cup of tea. Walking over to his leather chair, he sat down tiredly and stared into the fire. As he began to doze off, he thought to himself that he couldn’t wait for Spring.