Serving Suggestion

MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
edited October 2018 in General Discussions
I think UO.com should provide services to host servers for UOCartographer (and UOAM)

Currently we have to rely on a third party to provide a server service which is necessary to play the game. We already pay subscriptions, why must we arrange our own servers also?  
When a guild’s map server goes down, that’s it we all can’t PvP.

Cos the players wanna play play play play play
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• TimTim Posts: 796
    Mervyn said:
    I think UO.com should provide services to host servers for UOCartographer (and UOAM)

Currently we have to rely on a third party to provide a server service which is necessary to play the game. We already pay subscriptions, why must we arrange our own servers also?  

Really necessary? I haven't used either for 10-15 years.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited October 2018
    What map does your guild use to pvp with then? 

(Also, it’s not necessary to quote my comment when it’s the sole comment in the thread)
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

• GidgeGidge Posts: 426
    Because those programs are not made by UO? *ponders*

Our guild when we used UOAM , a guild mate was kind enough to let us eat his bandwidths to keep a server up for us 24/7.

One day, if there is a need for our guild, I would most likely foot the bill, but have you considered moving into the EC realm and having a party? You can see each other on the map in party mode yes?

Imagine seeing as well..... Mervyn was killed by Gidge!!!!

That might also prove helpful as well? *ponders some more*
    edited October 2018
    We have both EC users and CC users it’s why we use UOCartographer.

Thanks for the info @Tim

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I wish they would update the EC map to include guild/alliance, and then I suppose after the whinefest, they could port it over to the CC too.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Sorry if it appeared I was attacking you but I haven't used an external mapper since long before I gave up on CC. The insinuation that everybody need it to play the game is over the top and a little insulting to everybody that doesn't play your way.

But back to topic yes we pay subscriptions for the services provided. Are you suggesting they should up the fees to pay for the extra servers or just cut back on something else? Before you answer please remember not everybody else has or likes you play style.
    edited October 2018
    Tim,

no. and no.

So what is this magical program your guild uses to pvp with?

edited October 2018
    Who said I PVP ?

The point I was trying to make is there is no such thing as a fee lunch. 
    I wouldn't use the service you wanted and objected to the suggestion I shoulder some of the cost as I don't think its "necessary to play the game"
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,339
    edited October 2018
    Mervyn said:

Sorry, very unlikely to happen. Currently you are relying on a 3rd party to provide service for a 3rd party program. EA/Broadsword have never provided support for 3rd party programs, they can't without opening a whole vast can of worms. Hosting a server would most certainly come under the heading of providing support.

They not only won't do it, they can't do it.