Placement Blocking items for Castles

SlayviteSlayvite Posts: 113
edited August 2018 in General Discussions
This is a serious question or 2 so lets all try not to de-rail it before we get an official answer...

-The new castle tool is for a customisable plot, does this mean that the winning castles will all have (raised) footprint levels like houses do now?

-What about the many castles on live shards that have placement blocking items in their forecourts?

-What is the height restrictions for new castles? Is it 4 storey like the tool shows or is it 3 storey and a roof? No point spending time designing a castle that wont meet restrictions.

-What are the restrictions you briefly mention?

-What about if new castle designs block the views of houses behind them (after decorating winning designs on live shards? Many items are not "see-thru"

@Mesanna @Bleak @Kyronix ;

«13

Comments

  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,094
    I'd like to add to this....
    If I don't place tiles where the "dirt" is on the first floor, can that space be open like the current castle is? 
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 477
    I'd like to add to this....
    If I don't place tiles where the "dirt" is on the first floor, can that space be open like the current castle is? 
    I think that's how it is intended to work....would make sense anyway. This seems to be the easiest way for them to allow us to do this so just pretend that the dirt floor is the actual ground and create the custom castle/keep in the space provided.

    Hopefully we'll get an official answer soon!

  • Dot_WarnerDot_Warner Posts: 233
    Last I heard, castles with trees in the courtyards are SOL. :/
  • SlayviteSlayvite Posts: 113
    edited August 2018
    yeah, that's like every castle owner apart from Minoc or Ice isle has placement blocking items in the courtyards.
    Some owners are not even aware as they bought their castles and not placed them.

    Really could do with some answers here from an official source... @Mesanna ;

    Also too add to others, the tool crashes the game "ALOT".
    Nb, odd that only Bleak now shows as having an account? Mesanna and Kyronix are no more???
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,660
    Slayvite said:
    yeah, that's like every castle owner apart from Minoc or Ice isle has placement blocking items in the courtyards.
    Some owners are not even aware as they bought their castles and not placed them.

    Really could do with some answers here from an official source... @ Mesanna 

    Also too add to others, the tool crashes the game "ALOT".
    Nb, odd that only Bleak now shows as having an account? Mesanna and Kyronix are no more???
    https://forum.uo.com/profile/Kyronix
    https://forum.uo.com/profile/Mesanna

    looks like they are both still here
  • SlayviteSlayvite Posts: 113
    weird...if you click on their @names it shows User not found, I wonder if any posts actually get pinged to their attention anymore?
  • Oh dear, I have a tree in my courtyard. Boo!!! I was very much looking forward to using this option. I hope there may be a fix...pretty please Bleak and posse!
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    Don't worry maybe they will hire a GM tree surgeon otherwise the usefulness of the new designs is somewhat limited! I didn't realise so many castles had trees. I checked my keep and I don't think there is anything in there, but it can be hard to tell if you don't know which items are a problem..
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 675
    once again i wonder if spending Dev time energy on something that benefits or affects such a small percentage of player base a wise thing
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,660
    Slayvite said:
    weird...if you click on their @ names it shows User not found, I wonder if any posts actually get pinged to their attention anymore?
    I click on them and it goes right to their page, strange.  @Mariah
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,660
    McDougle said:
    once again i wonder if spending Dev time energy on something that benefits or affects such a small percentage of player base a wise thing
    There are more Castle/Keep owners then PvPers/PKers and we cater to them all the time.
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    @Bilbo hahahaha that was quite funny, or it would have been funny if it wasn't also true!  :/
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,094
    if they would allow the dirt patches to remain empty, then the floor above it would also have to be clear. Hubby has raised pavers there to be the same level as the floor & deeded trees poke through.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,660
    jaytin said:
    @ Bilbo hahahaha that was quite funny, or it would have been funny if it wasn't also true!  :/
    The sad part is that for 13 years we have been asking for more choices with Castles and Keeps and now the DEVs are trying to do it and alls we hear is it is a waste of DEV time and I bet all of them are the we want it all crowd.  
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,660
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I enjoyed making my design, it was actually quite fun, let's hope we get some really good ideas and not just shoe boxes with a couple of windows!
  • I'd really like to see someone use the gothic tiles, gargoyles, and stained glass and make a cathedral, abbey, or monastery.

    I'm terrible at house stuff, but I'll toss the idea out there.

    -Arroth
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 894Dev

    I'd really like to see someone use the gothic tiles, gargoyles, and stained glass and make a cathedral, abbey, or monastery.

    I'm terrible at house stuff, but I'll toss the idea out there.

    Check out the house at 1985 2270 - probably exactly what you are looking for!

    Once voting starts, you will be able to teleport to each castle using the castle stone.
  • SlayviteSlayvite Posts: 113
    edited August 2018
    Seriously? we get a dev response and its to tell us about a design?

    Didn't bother to answer any of the questions in the OP which people are wanting to know about??
    …..where's that Picard emote....
  • MariahMariah Posts: 1,581Moderator
    for those unfamiliar with the devs co-ords that's 56.04s 46.24E northern side of Trinsic swamp
  • I just want to say that this is a terrible idea to be able to customize castle and keeps,  the stone tiles was a horrid idea and this is just going cause more lag and issues with the game that no one that plays wants to deal with.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 894Dev
    Slayvite said:
    Seriously? we get a dev response and its to tell us about a design?

    Didn't bother to answer any of the questions in the OP which people are wanting to know about??
    …..where's that Picard emote....
    Houses must be properly placed in order to convert them.

    If the customization tool allows you to commit, your design is technically allowed, just remember we do have to approve final entries.

    There will be a foundation.

    As far as blocking the view of other houses, the current policy will apply as of now but we will potentially review this as we move through this process for the first time.
  • SlayviteSlayvite Posts: 113
    edited August 2018
    But all Castles at the moment ARE properly placed, the trees, rocks and flowers blockers are in the courtyards?
    There is probably only the ones on Ice Isle and part of Minoc that's are clear of blockers, meaning about 60% of all Castles wont be able to use these new designs then?
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 894Dev
    edited August 2018
    Slayvite said:
    But all Castles at the moment ARE properly placed, the trees, rocks and flowers blockers are in the courtyards?
    There is probably only the ones on Ice Isle and part of Minoc that's are clear of blockers, meaning about 60% of all Castles wont be able to use these new designs then?
    Do you own a properly placed castle with trees or rocks in the courtyard?  Please PM the shard and location. 
  • jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    So the new designs will all have a foundation like custom housing, not like the castles and keeps we have now?
  • Kyronix said:
    Slayvite said:
    But all Castles at the moment ARE properly placed, the trees, rocks and flowers blockers are in the courtyards?
    There is probably only the ones on Ice Isle and part of Minoc that's are clear of blockers, meaning about 60% of all Castles wont be able to use these new designs then?
    Do you own a properly placed castle with trees or rocks in the courtyard?  Please PM the shard and location. 

    id say 40 percent of all castles/keeps (not north minoc or ice island)  have something in the courtyard areas that would block a normal foundation.  the easy ones to see are trees. there is a keep spot south of ice dungeon that you can still place a keep in but has a tree in the west and east grass areas...  The one that is going to get people into trouble is the slight change in the z coordinate in their courtyard that they dont see. 

    If there is going to be a foundation for these houses i would recommend making the transition very safe to go from castle/keep to custom plot. I would not let people try to resize and place it. It should be like taking a classic house to a custom plot currently with an added check to make sure its properly placed. 
     

    pics incoming. 
  • Side note, Thanks for finally doing this.  If done right it will be a great addition to the game long over due. Also it was important enough for me to finally make a post over here. :)
  • @Kyronix

    these three castles are all fel side, ATl Shard in the North britain crossroads area just north of swamps.  location is in the map cords. 






  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 477
    jaytin said:
    So the new designs will all have a foundation like custom housing, not like the castles and keeps we have now?
    This really upsets me...I was hoping that while we have to use a foundation to design the castles/keeps, that they would remove the foundation and just use the shape and style of the structure placed on it.

    Example:

    I build this....but we get the second image...minus the foundation/outer stairs so we can actually have open courtyards....you're saying this isn't the case Kyronix?? That's a BAD BAD thing....



  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,660
    What about all the castles/keeps in Trinisc swamp or the ones near jungles.  I truely thought this was going to be one of those remove some walls and stairs from the inside and be done with it.
Sign In or Register to comment.