How do you organize your BOD books?

2»

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,074
    Ya I made the mistake of putting 500 in a book.  I was dragging it around and it went under the house and poofed later.  Was Carpentry.  Those dont work anyway.

Most people put them on a vendor and hit escape.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    @Pawain, are you saying there is a danger if locking them to floor?  I'd like to just make a stack of them on floor, but not if they are going to fall thru and become inaccessible.

Also, what do you mean by Carpentry books "don't work anyway"?
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,074
    I like them better on a vendor. They use lockdowns on the floor.  Im sure mine was a fluke, I was dragging it to a vendor.

None of the furniture BODs bribe up.  The only high one that works is the weapons that require gems and stuff.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    @Pawain, thank you for the explanation.

An Inconvenient Inconvenience

Ah heck.  Managing BOD books is getting to be a hassle.  On Baja it is not too bad.  Except for Inscription, where I have two characters gathering deeds, only one character is gathering BODs for each profession.  Some characters have more than one profession, but there is no overlap with other characters except Inscription.  And I only have one Inscription BOD book.

Origin has become the messy shard.  I have 4 books each for the professions of Blacksmith, Carpenter, Tailor, and Tinker, and there are two characters on two different accounts gathering BODs for three of those.  The box that was holding all those books became full due to the number of BODs in a BOD book contributing to item count.  Sixteen BOD books in one container was untenable.  So I made a couple of tables and set this up:
    I see this as an accident waiting to happen.  All I need is to forget to lock a book down, and it will be gone next time I log in.  Additional problems include:
    1. Books cannot be manipulated unless held.  That means they must be retrieved, added to or BODs removed, then replaced on table and locked down.
    2. If the home owner account is the one locking down a book, he must remember to set security to co-owner, or the other BOD gatherer for that profession won't be able to access it.
    3. It is awkward retrieving one or two books from a stack.  The stacks are Blacksmith, Carpenter, Tailor, and Tinker.
    The house is already public, so storing the books on a vendor is possible.  However, would a character from each of my two accounts be able to manipulate the books on a vendor?  I guess I could gather all the daily BODs first, then manipulate the books afterward with the "right character".  Is there a more straight-forward way to do this than either stacks on tables or vendors?

Suggestion

Currently each 5 BODs in a book count as one item, plus the book itself is another item.  Thus a full book of 500 BODs counts as 101 items.  Secure containers (normally the most convenient storage) hold 125 items, basically meaning 1 full BOD book per secure container. If the ratio in a book were changed from 5:1 to 20:1, then a full BOD book would count as 26 items.  This would allow four full books per secure container.  I suggest doing that.

I know the item limit is barely a problem, if at all, when the BOD books are stored on vendors.  Also, storing them on vendors, but not actually offering them for sale, is specifically allowed.  However, this translates to frustration for players hunting for certain BODs.  They find what they seek, but it may not be for sale. I would prefer not to contribute to another player's frustration by putting not-for-sale items on a vendor.  Thus my preference is to store them in secure containers rather than vendors.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    I have vendors set up for bods.  100 Bods per book, each vendor can hold 5 books that way.  Plus the lower count means I don't have to worry about emptying my pack to get one off the vendor

@Uriah_Heep, oh, so vendors only hold 125 items too?  Bummer.  For some reason I thought they could hold a lot more than that.  This just adds to the benefit of changing deed/item ratio from 5:1 to 20:1.
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    @Rock yes thats all they hold.  Doing it this way also allows me to toss random for sale items on the vendors as well, so it works well for me.  My advice to anyone with bods, find the system that works for you, and do it.  Whatever you are comfortable with
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,796
    I would like to see them do away with the deed / item ratio and treat a BOD book as a single item no mater how many deeds are in it.  But that may encourage people to just horde deeds and never complete and turn them in.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,683
    if you put BODs on a vendor & don't want to sell them, you can opt out of search (that way people can't find it, in case you accidently don't hit escape when you add it).

I believe it was stated that if you put them on a vendor for storage that you must put on them that they are not for sale ( I name the vendor Elf names cause I live at the North Pole & name the shop NOT FOR SALE) & that you can only do one or the other with a vendor. Either you have the vendor to sale the BODs or they are for storage.

I do put them on vendors cause I can put one full book (500) & another book (115) for storage. When these additional BODs first came out I went overboard collecting them & had them spread out amongst all my houses. I just recently found 7 of my vendors in the house moving crate (which I had been checking everyday cause I had a ship in the water). the home-owner had to get it out cause the one who put it there couldn't get it out. And the crazy thing is that the exact amount of vendors that were in there is the same number of stewards I had in the place.

===========================================
    people keep asking if they would change the item count or change how you interact with them. As much as I think this is a priority for crafters, I am looking forward to the fall content that they are working on. wondering if they will have the bone containers this year. wish I could get one with a governor title but I'm thinking personal titles are off limits
    Rock said:
    So I made a couple of tables and set this up:
    I see this as an accident waiting to happen.  All I need is to forget to lock a book down, and it will be gone next time I log in.  ...
    Well, it happened.  I've lost two BOD books. :(  They were for Alchemy and Cooking, each holding about 120 BODs.  Just in case, I did try to check the house's moving crate, but the option is ghosted. I think that must mean it is empty.

I may just stop collecting those.  The only BOD rewards I really need are the 120-skill scrolls for Blacksmith and Tailor. <sigh>
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited July 2018
    @Cinderella I have 72 BOD Storage Vendors and none of my BODs are for sell and none of my vendors were renamed NOT FOR SALE.  These vendors have been up for at least 4 years now.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,683
    @Bilbo I'm assuming that your BODs are for your own personal use and you don't sell them. If you do sell them, then they can't be on a vendor with ones you are storing. Its either one or the other. I put NOT FOR SALE on them, so someone can see right away that they are storage vendors. I guess I do it so they don't waste their time looing for ones to buy.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited July 2018
    @ Bilbo I'm assuming that your BODs are for your own personal use and you don't sell them. If you do sell them, then they can't be on a vendor with ones you are storing. Its either one or the other. I put NOT FOR SALE on them, so someone can see right away that they are storage vendors. I guess I do it so they don't waste their time looing for ones to buy.
    Sorry to tell you but you are wrong because I have seen many, many ,many bod books that have some for sale with others not for sale.  Where are you getting all this info from, please provide a link or better yet place a mixed BOD Book on your vendor for yourself and see what happens.  And like I said before there is no requirement to have NOT FOR SALE on the vendor that is your choice to do so.  All my Castle vendors are in Fel and they are not for sale but my vendor in Luna has books with filled/unfilled for sale and not for sale all on 1 vendor or are you going to tell me my vendor is bugged.