Wonky Inscription Difficulties for Necromancy Scrolls

RockRock Posts: 567
edited June 2018 in General Discussions
I recently trained my scribe on Baja to GM and am now working my scribe on Origin.  Her current Inscription skill is 71.4.  My Baja scribe didn't make reference books in Mysticism and Necromancy until he was already GM.  But I decided to get an earlier start on my Origin scribe, knowing that she would net yet be able to make the full sets of scrolls.

Mysticism worked as expected.  The spells therein are disciplined in design and follow the Magery example of 8 circles.  Except with Mysticism there are only 2 spells per circle instead of 8.  As expected, She had no problem making a set of scrolls for the first 7 circles and has no chance yet of making the 2 eighth circle scrolls.

Necromancy spell and inscription difficulties seem to have a slightly chaotic design. One element is ordered; unlike most other spellbooks, Necromancy spells are listed in alphabetical order, not difficulty order. (I think Chivalry spells are also listed alphabetically.)
Spell             Castable  Inscriptable
Animated Dead 40 39.6
Blood Oath 20 19.6
Corpse Skin 20 19.6
Curse Weapon 0 19.6
Evil Omen 20 19.6
Horrific Beast 40 39.6
Lich Form 70 69.6
Mind Rot 30 29.6
Pain Spike 20 19.6
Poison Strike 50 49.6
Strangle 65 64.6
Summon Familiar 30 29.6
Vampiric Embrace 99 98.6
Vengeful Spirit 80 79.6
Wither 60 59.6
Wraith Form 20 79.6
eXorcism 80 79.6
The normal relationship between castability and inscribability is that the latter is 0.4 less than the former. The two exceptions are Curse Weapon (CW) and Wraith Form (WF).  CW sort of makes sense; since it is castable at 0, it had to be inscribable at 0 or above.  I guess the designers chose 19.6 because that is the same level as so many other scrolls.  WF, however, is weird, perhaps bugged.  At 71.4 Inscription, my scribe is unable to make a 20-difficulty spell scroll.

At a guess, the original castability level for WF was 80, which would spread the HB, Lich, WF, and VE forms evenly from 40 to 99.  Players would have begged the devs to lower the casting level of WF so that they could Recall at low levels.  In this scenario the devs would have done so, but forgot to also lower the scribing difficulty of WF scrolls.  (The original forms order would have had another nice feature; HB has the negative effect of blocking the ability to cast spells in most builds, Lich has the negative effect of a -HPR.  The negative side effects of WF and VE are relatively minor by comparison. Aesthetically, I find that to be pleasing.)

Another unusual feature of scribing Necromancy scrolls is that their success chance is binary, or close to it.  My 71.4-level scribe had a 100% chance of scribing all scrolls within her difficulty range.  If out of range, she couldn't make them.  This makes these sets of items a poor choice to use for skill gain, but it is sort of a moot point with so many other things a scribe can make that follow a more linear difficulty curve,   The devs may have chosen a binary approach here to make the scribing of VE scrolls to seem reasonable.  If, say, they only had a 7% success chance at 100 inscription, players would have complained.  IIRC, Necromancy came long before talismans existed, so a solution would have been to make the difficulty of this set to be binary.
Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)

Comments

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Good work
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002