too old to survive the imbuing process ??

RockRock Posts: 567
edited June 2018 in Skills and Stats
My GM tinker just made some Gargish earrings out of agapite and then turned them over to my 60-something imbuer.  When he started to imbue them, he got a message that the special materials used in this item were to old to survive the imbuing process.  WTH?  The agapite was mined within the last month, and the earrings were not even an hour old.  Typically in a case like this, there is a problem, but the error message is wonky.  Does anyone know what the problem is?

Also, I don't think the earrings received the 15 extra resistance points which agapite is supposed to provide.  They are rated 5/8/8/4/5, or 30 total resistance.  The earrings are of excellent quality, and the tinker has GM Arms Lore, so that is 20 random resistances in just the crafting.  Base gargish earrings are rated at 1/2/2/2/3 for 10 more.  The 15 fixed resistances from agapite are nowhere to be found.
Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)

Comments

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    You may only imbue IRON and then enhance with colored, same with all material.

IMHO there should be a warning on all the imbuing how tos about this.
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    @Bilbo, I agree, this should be better documented.  And the error message needs to be rewritten.  As it stands, it is completely meaningless and has no bearing on the actual problem.  "Ore too old"??

I'm not sure what you mean by, "Same with all material."  I have had no problem imbuing items made of colored leathers and boards.  This restriction appears to apply only to metal items.

In the given case of the gargish earrings, I don't think it will do any good to enhance them after imbuing.  Since the agapite's resistances were not applied when the agapite earrings were made, can I really expect them to activate if iron earrings are enhanced with agapite after imbuing?  My guess as of now is that the devs forgot to add tinkered armor (all 2 types of it) to the list of things that are improved when made of something other than iron.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,983Moderator
    edited June 2018
    I believe this has been reported as a bug https://forums.uo.com/discussion/883/bug-trying-to-imbue/p1

Norm leather is the only leather that can be imbued then you enhance it with spine, horned or barbed not sure about wood.
    edited June 2018
    @Bilbo, check again concerning colored leather and wood.  I've been imbuing them for a couple months now.  Maybe there was a change some time back that enabled this, but they are definitely imbuible now.  These were made just now directly from the stated materials, not enhanced:
    (imbued with HPR)
    (imbued with HML)
    I half remember from a thread several weeks ago, someone advised enhancing afterward.  IIRC he was saying that you can sometimes sneak in a 6th property via enhancing, which you could not do if the piece started out of the colored material.  Perhaps that is why you remember this the way you do; over time your mind has changed a "should" to a "must".  The fact that items from colored ingots must be enhanced after imbuing could well have reinforced your memory.
    TY  Will try it again.
    Well phooey.  I've got the opposite problem now.  I started out making an exceptional skinning knife out of iron.  This gave it 40% Damage Increase.  It was then imbued with 15% Hit Life Leech.  Finally I was going to enhance it with shadow iron to give it 20 Cold Damage and 50% Durability.  Upon attempting the enhancement, it didn't happen.  Instead, this message appeared:
    You cannot enhance this type of item with the properties of the selected special material.

My guess is tinkered items, be they armor or weapon, won't accept enhancement.  This was true for the Gargish earrings above (which could be crafted as agapite, but ignored agapite's properties) and now it is true for the skinning knife.  Are tinkered items so awesome the devs are afraid augmenting them with special materials will unbalance the game?  Or did someone forget to set a flag somewhere in the tinkering code?

• BasaraBasara Posts: 163
    Reforging is what requires base materials. 

But you don't want to imbue colored material items because the material bonuses count against total intensity.

Also, that garg earrings don't get material bonuses has been an issue going back to the launch of SA - but no one's been able to get an acknowledgement of the issue from the Devs.