missing info from official Wiki concerning Lumberjacking

RockRock Posts: 567
edited June 2018 in General Discussions
@Mariah, et al, Neither the Melee Fighting page nor the Lumberjacking page mention the relationship between Lumberjacking and fighting with an axe.  I wanted to verify the info at uoguide.com which states that lumberjacking provides an axe damage increase of lumberjacking/5, with a 10% bonus at GM Lumberjacking.  So at 60 skill, you would do 12% more axe damage, and at 100 you would do 30% more damage.

Also, a Lumberjacking skill check is done while fighting with an axe, which means you can raise your Lumberjacking ability just by fighting.
Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)

Comments

• MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited June 2018
    probably because it doesn't apply to mace fighting war axes? only swordsmanship axes?

and it is there:
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/weapons/#axe
    says
    *Axes receive a damage bonus from the Lumberjacking skill.

I haven't audited those pages yet, still working on magery related ones. will get them to stick some stats in, when i get to it though.

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

• RockRock Posts: 567
    Thank you for feedback @Mervyn.  I should really have specifically tied the OP to Swordsmanship, but I didn't even think about the War Axe being considered a mace.  It sure looks like an axe, though!
    Out of curiosity I took 7xUseless out for some wood chopping, and sure enough it worked and his Lumberjacking skill went up.  If that's the case, the War Axe, and the Lumberjacking skill should probably have the same relationship with Mace Fighting as the other axes do with Swordsmanship.  They may have intentionally chosen not to do that on top of Mace Fighting's stamina drain, though.

(BTW, we probably should not have enhanced the Lesser Artifact with gold.  I was just curious if it were even possible, knowing there was a likelihood it would disintegrate.  Seems a good match for 7xUseless though -- Peacemaker, Paladin Macer, Cook, Herdsman, and Beggar. He has neither Tactics nor Focus, and originally had TasteID instead of Chivalry. But then I broke down and made him a little useful, and able to Sacred Journey.)
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    ok, found the reference in publish 69
    GM Lumberjacking players will have a 10% chance for a Lumberjacking damage bonus of 100% from base weapon damage.
    @Mariah, thank you.  Are you sure that Pub.69 info is still current?  If I understand what you are saying, 10% of axe hits will result in double base damage.  I have never noticed such damage spikes.  Rereading the UOGiuide info, it agrees with what you say, though, and begins with a more steady damage gain mechanic as well.
    Lumberjacks receive a Damage Increase when they wield certain weapons. The formula is Lumberjack skill ÷ 5 (plus 10% if Lumberjacking is equal to or greater than 100). At GM Lumberjacking, there is a 10% chance for a Lumberjacking damage bonus of 100% from base weapon damage.
    (Wow.  Copy&Paste captured the link and bolding.  Nice.)
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    I've located the relevant information in the old uoherald archives. You will find the lumberjack and melee pages have been updated shortly - without waiting for instructions from Mervyn's unofficial, self-imposed audit.
    Think you’ll find it does only apply to swordsmanship axes though.
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

edited June 2018
    I could’ve swore blind that arms lore also had like a 5% damage increase at gm, but I can’t find it written anywhere. Perhaps I originally misinterpreted, and it just gives 5% damage increase onto the actual weapon that is crafted..

#Mandelaeffect

@Mervyn, I think you probably misremembered or the DI from Arms Lore was changed.  As far as I remember, once Arms Lore was made a useful skill which buffs crafting, it has always added up to 5% to exceptionally crafter armor (random resists) and weapons (damage increase).  The formula is each 20 points of Arms Lore is an additional percentage gain on exceptionally crafted kit.
  • cobbcobb Posts: 172
    The damage bonus from lumberjack is ridiculously bad and probably should be buffed.
    @cobb, Why do you call the damage bonus "ridiculously bad"?  So far as I can tell, it is 30% at GM level, just as documented.  So if the average base damage of a given axe is 14, the Lumberjacking skill is adding 4.2 damage to every swing.  This is on top of other boosts such as that from Tactics, Anatomy, and any DI (Damage Increase) on the axe itself. A player's strength, Bushido's perfection, various special moves, and a Gargoyle's berserk mode might also be significant factors increasing the damage of a given swing.

In addition to all that, @Mariah has pointed out there is an additional 100% damage (14 in this case) on 10% of the swings from GM lumberjacks using an axe.

Foes of course have damage resistance just as players do.  If your axe is 100% physical damage, and a foe has 60% physical resist, then a 30-damage swing will only do 12 damage (40% of 30).  A power such as Chivalry's Consecrate Weapon helps compensate for this, by turning the damage to the foe's weakest type.  For example, they might only have 20% cold resistance, meaning 80% of the 30 points gets thru (24 in this case).

Please don't feel like I am attacking you.  I'm just trying to explain the math as I understand it.