Can't train with guild masters Magery at all

I even tried Sir Helper in New haven to train magery, as well as any guild masters that teach it, and I can drop the gold on them, but it just goes back in my pack.
Things I have tried...
Circle of transparency on and off
I'm not on any quest.
I have magery set to go up with total skill at 268/720
I have a subscription to UO
I killed myself to be sure I was not bugged somehow.

Pretty sure its something I am not doing, but I am out of ideas

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,096
    Eliminate the obvious first:

Did you click train magery first?

Also you can sometimes give more gold than they request and get higher skill. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TamhraTamhra Posts: 24
    forgot to mention that one, and yes I did click train magery to see how much they wanted.
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    It is very buggy but does work. Took me a couple of tries. I'm using enhanced client.
    I was able to initially train the skill with a regular mage npc. So that is why it is baffling as to why I can't with any GM mage npc
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited June 2018
    Do you have any training quests active?
    Nothing under quest journal at all
    ok, I went around to all the gm mage trainers and sir helper in new haven.
    The one that finally worked was named Kaelynna at the magery school.
    Thanks for the help all, and I still have no idea why the other gm mage trainers would not work  :)
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    edited June 2018
    You can't train magery on Mage Guild Master Npcs because of a bug with the Convert Mage Armor option, other mage NPC's in new Haven can train you to 40.0 though with a quest to accelerate skill gains until 50.0

It's listed in publish 100 fixes.
    • NPC mage guildmasters will always accept gold for training.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • RockRock Posts: 567
    Some of the New Haven NPC trainers are very picky about you being close when dropping gold on them.  The trainers in the mage building of New Haven are especially picky.  Get close (like right next to him), choose what you want him to train, then drop the gold.
    Rock (formerly Imperterritus VXt, Baja)