Ultima Online Classic Client Upgrade!

9/25/2024

The feedback we have received since Ultima Online: New Legacy entered into beta testing has been incredible!  Players current, former, and new are excited about a fresh start in this new world.  It has been important to us throughout beta testing to listen to what the community is saying and acting on that feedback to bring the best version of New Legacy to full release.

There is no mistaking the iconic aesthetics of the Ultima Online Classic Client are irreplaceable.  Since its release in 1997, players have come to appreciate the performance and quality of life upgrades that are now a cornerstone of an enjoyable gameplay experience.

As such, we are extremely excited to announce that we are working with the developers of the third-party client “ClassicUO” with the goal of making available an officially sanctioned version for use on all shards!

We also want to make sure that the official Ultima Online Classic Client meets the expectations of our players from a performance standpoint.  To deliver this performance we will be upgrading the Classic Client renderer to support higher frame rates and a larger play window.

We will be releasing more information about these updates in the leadup to the launch of Ultima Online: New Legacy!

See you in Britannia,

UO Team

Ultima Online Twitter/X - https://twitter.com/UOTownCryer
Ultima Online Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/uotowncryer/
Ultima Online Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/uofenneko
E-mail: uo.fenneko@gmail.com

Tagged:

Comments

• Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 260
    edited September 25

YES.

FINALLY.

HOLY CRAP.

edited September 25
    For everyone who doesn't know, ClassicUO has every quality-of-life feature you guys have begged the developers for in the last ten-plus years. This is a big fat deal.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,942
    Incredible!!
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,942
    Will it have map like EC
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • poppspopps Posts: 4,002
    Does anyone know how ClassicUO compares with the Enhanced Client, including with Pinco's UI as far as features offered ?

That is, will it be possible using ClassicUO to do all that can be done, for example, with Pinco's UI but using the Classic Client graphics rather then the Enhanced Client graphics ?
  • mismis Posts: 95

9/25/2024

The feedback we have received since Ultima Online: New Legacy entered into beta testing has been incredible!  Players current, former, and new are excited about a fresh start in this new world.  It has been important to us throughout beta testing to listen to what the community is saying and acting on that feedback to bring the best version of New Legacy to full release.

There is no mistaking the iconic aesthetics of the Ultima Online Classic Client are irreplaceable.  Since its release in 1997, players have come to appreciate the performance and quality of life upgrades that are now a cornerstone of an enjoyable gameplay experience.

As such, we are extremely excited to announce that we are working with the developers of the third-party client “ClassicUO” with the goal of making available an officially sanctioned version for use on all shards!

We also want to make sure that the official Ultima Online Classic Client meets the expectations of our players from a performance standpoint.  To deliver this performance we will be upgrading the Classic Client renderer to support higher frame rates and a larger play window.

We will be releasing more information about these updates in the leadup to the launch of Ultima Online: New Legacy!

See you in Britannia,

UO Team

Excellent news for the community, ovation 

:)

• I haven't the foggiest what this entails: " iconic aesthetics of the Ultima Online Classic Client". Can some clarification be given of what the iconic aesthetics are? Serious question.
    Thank you.
    AW
  • For people who aren't familiar, it can do everything you want it to do. It's nice that they also plan to clean up the classic client, but realistically speaking, CUO makes the CC and the EC both obsolete.
  • mismis Posts: 95

I know that in the community there have been many personal requests, some focused on the graphical part and others one the accessibility as I commented in the past.

Please, I beg emphasis on telling the developers of third party clients, to include an agent system to be able to pick up the objects set by type (gems, armor, etc...), as happens in the 3D version, the button to pick up everything, and the ease of adding macros, because in the 2D version I have to hold down the button to scroll down and look for what I want to add, that those of us who have problems in the arms like tendons need it and it is important for us.

Thank you for your work and try as much as possible to make this community better and accessible to all.
  • I hope they endorse the web client version too, then you can play UO on anything with a browser.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,424
    edited September 25
    This is incredible news, and long overdue.

Thank you to the Devs for listening. :)

I think you have just made UO a very credible game now, a serious contender to anything.
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 379
    edited September 25
    nice!
  • Super embarrassing after declaring war on 3rd party clients but 100% the right decision to just use the far superior client developed by hobbyist developers and widely used on free shards 
    edited September 25
    Super embarrassing after declaring war on 3rd party clients but 100% the right decision to just use the far superior client developed by hobbyist developers and widely used on free shards 

Scuttlebutt is that the "war" cost them too many subscriptions, but there's no point to farting in their mouth for making a good decision, however belated it may be.
  • I would like to list my proposals:

1. Fixed Paperdoll Screen and Simplification of Gumps One of the first areas that could be improved is the management of the paperdoll and gumps. I propose a solution that allows for the paperdoll screen to be in a fixed and standardized position, locked in the game's layout, without the need to constantly resize or move it. This would prevent players from wasting time adjusting the window and allow for smoother navigation.

Additionally, it would be useful to simplify the gumps, particularly the larger ones that currently fill the entire screen. These could be made more compact, optimizing the space occupied to provide greater visibility of the game field, without overcrowding the screen with too many open windows.

2. Wider Backpack and Additional Buyable Slots Another proposal concerns the management of the backpack. Currently, items inside the backpack can easily become disorganized, and I believe that a wider backpack with an improved layout could make item management much simpler and more intuitive.

Furthermore, it could be beneficial to introduce purchasable add-on slots through the store, allowing for the organized management of specific items. For example, a runebook could have a dedicated and locked slot within the backpack, making it always easily accessible without having to search for it among other items. This "fixed slots" feature could also be extended to other key items, such as runes or crafting tools, making gameplay more practical and organized.

3. Durability Control Panel
      I propose adding a durability control panel to help players keep track of their items' durability. This panel would provide clear and easy-to-read information about the current condition of equipment, allowing for better management and planning during gameplay.

4. More Attractive Graphics
      I suggest enhancing the graphics to be more visually appealing, while maintaining the native style of the game. A more modern aesthetic could attract new players and enhance the overall gaming experience without losing the essence of the original art.

5. New Literature
      Many of the beautiful stories in Ultima deserve a continuation. For example, the resurrection and redemption of Garamon could be explored with an event in the Underworld. The introduction of new characters or the intertwining of existing stories would also enrich the narrative landscape.

6. Revitalization of Maps like Eodon
      Maps such as Eodon need to be revitalized. There are too many deserted and unused valleys, and the same applies to the Lost Lands. Enhancing these areas could provide more exploration opportunities and engage players in new adventures.

These are some feasible ideas that would definitely appeal to the entire community. I would be available to collaborate and discuss with the staff.

Thank you for your attention, best regards.

1.png 948.8K
    Super embarrassing after declaring war on 3rd party clients but 100% the right decision to just use the far superior client developed by hobbyist developers and widely used on free shards 
    Yeah, be grateful you :)
  • sibblesibble Posts: 177
    popps said:
    Does anyone know how ClassicUO compares with the Enhanced Client, including with Pinco's UI as far as features offered ?

That is, will it be possible using ClassicUO to do all that can be done, for example, with Pinco's UI but using the Classic Client graphics rather then the Enhanced Client graphics ?

@Kyronix PLEASE incorporate some kind of legal LUA library of functions for 3rd party development so we can stop addressing these inequality concerns.

@popps You do realize Pinco has been working on that project for over a decade right?  Longer than the ClassicUO project, longer than most 3rd party projects.  To hope or assume everything Pinco has ever done will be tied up in some neat little ClassicUO package is wishful thinking.  The best thing you can hope for is that they incorporate the same tools EC has for 3rd party UI development in ClassicUO so that the 3rd party community can craft custom UIs without breaking TOS.
    "everything looks stupid" UO feedback 2024
  • Just found the answer to my question....

ClassicUO is an open source implementation of the Ultima Online Classic Client.

• The world's last EC fanboy in shambles now that his pet client is obsolete.
  • Wow!!! I didn't see this coming!

I'm truly impressed and got goosebumps reading the original post!
    Wow!!! I didn't see this coming!

I'm truly impressed and got goosebumps reading the original post!
    It is so cool isn't it, no more barking at the moon for you :)
  • sibblesibble Posts: 177
    edited September 25
    The world's last EC fanboy in shambles now that his pet client is obsolete.
    Yikes, months later still holding a grudge?  Don't take it personally and try not to hold grudges :)
    "everything looks stupid" UO feedback 2024
  • looploop Posts: 376
    Great news. As a begrudging EC user, I’m looking forward to not using the EC and hope an official fork of ClassicUO improves the team’s ability make any number of updates in the name of modernization and quality of life.
  • So, @Community Manager , can we start using it now? Legally?
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,453
    McDougle said:
    Will it have map like EC
    This please 
  • This is good and now that we will have a viable option to use, can you ban players that want to use unapproved programs now?
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 988
    This is good and now that we will have a viable option to use, can you ban players that want to use unapproved programs now?
      Indeed.

I've never tried using ClassicUO, but I have heard of it.   the vast majority of players today are using Or**n client & UOSt**lth to pvp & bot/multibox respectively.

However, the "War on Third-Party Programs" has turned into a surrender to them, based on the announcement that's sure as hell what it looks like to me. but whatever I guess...

I will say, if CUO is anything close to Or**n client, I would fully expect the portions that allow for most or full automation to be excluded from the 'official' version as well as punishments to be handed out to anyone who has or continues to violate the rules by using other unapproved programs.   otherwise, what's the point?     

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • It’s an open source client so anything you want to build into it you can .. if you don’t like anything about the client then get learning c# and fix it yourself .. it’s the uo your way era .. maybe need to get away from the word ‘illegal’ as they just announced their war with 3rd party clients has ended with the 3rd party clients scoring a decisive victory 
  • DerajDeraj Posts: 87
    This is incredible news. Major kudos to the devs for pushing for this. Probably one of the most significant things to happen to this game in awhile. I am looking forward to seeing the result.
  • CovenantX said:

I will say, if CUO is anything close to Or**n client, I would fully expect the portions that allow for most or full automation to be excluded from the 'official' version as well as punishments to be handed out to anyone who has or continues to violate the rules by using other unapproved programs.   otherwise, what's the point?     

I think the one you're thinking of has a scripting engine built in directly, but CUO does not.