Long term strategy for prodo shards vis-a-vis NL?

looploop Posts: 374
edited August 31 in General Discussions
I haven't been able to make it to any M&G. I have a few questions I've been meaning to ask. Maybe other folks know the answer to these?

1. Will there be human resources dedicated to NL and resources dedicated to prodo shards, or will they be shared?
  2. The team mentioned systems will be ported over to prodo shards where those systems are well received or where it makes sense to do. What does that look like mechanically? Will systems be ported over yearly with the end of NL seasons, or just ad hoc depending on the system? Does the team have any specific ones in mind right now that might be good candidates?
  3. With NL, characters and some items will transfer over upon completion of a season. What sort of items? Will they be transferable to non-NL characters or viable for Vendor Search? Do you need a free character slot for the transfer to occur?
  4. Consider the following personas. How do each of these play out in the long term?
- Player has no interest in NL and never plays.
- Player plays NL for a little bit but doesn't take to it. Stays with prodo shards.
- Player likes only NL. Doesn't care for prodo shards.

Comments

• DragoDrago Posts: 303
    i dont think NL will be insanely popular... theres no one on the server... even tho its open beta

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,894
    Well @Kyronix posted in NL section but this is ignored?  Can you address the issues with the divergent path as well 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,633
    edited August 31
    D]0]rago said:
    i dont think NL will be insanely popular... theres no one on the server... even tho its open beta

I've done 3 bosses today.  I sure can't do them alone.

Not everyone talks in chat.  Are you watching every tree, mountain, and sheep to know who is there.

I didn't see you while I was mining today. Then using a shadow ele to skill my pet.

This is a holiday weekend,  all servers will have fewer players.

Some have seen NL and don't want to play on a server that isn't real.  Just like how many people are on test center.

I'll change my answer. Everyone is in this line for the post office in front of me.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • OreoglOreogl Posts: 372
    Pawain said:
    D]0]rago said:

Not everyone talks in chat.  Are you watching every tree, mountain, and sheep to know who is there.

I didn't see you while I was mining today. Then using a shadow ele to skill my pet.

Some have seen NL and don't want to play on a server that isn't real.  Just like how many people are on test center.

I'll change my answer. Everyone is in this line for the post office in front of me.
    Have they clarified what the end game is for the server?

Im trying to understand the seasonal part and the takeaways.
  • KroDuKKroDuK Posts: 163
    Drago said:

You should be worried if it's the case, BoardSword 100% gonna bribe players to play it/ boost their numbers with solid items to extract from NL to your main shard.

Personally i'm expecting NL to have a couple good fresh start.. but by the end of every season the fast food UO gonna be empty without solid events or worse.. a solid bribe to extract.
    So rather than recognise the effort the botters went to, to set all that up - for the benefit of the players, to help get certain items, something you could never be bothered to do, you would rather drag people backwards to your neanderthal world?
    -UO official forums, brought to you by BoardSword studio
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,633
    Oreogl said:
    Pawain said:
    D]0]rago said:

Have they clarified what the end game is for the server?

Im trying to understand the seasonal part and the takeaways.
    Nope, They have not decided on how many things we can bring back.  All of use fill our houses and banks with our junk.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_NythraxLord_Nythrax Posts: 242
    edited September 1
    KroDuK said:
    Drago said:

You should be worried if it's the case, BoardSword 100% gonna bribe players to play it/ boost their numbers with solid items to extract from NL to your main shard.

Personally i'm expecting NL to have a couple good fresh start.. but by the end of every season the fast food UO gonna be empty without solid events or worse.. a solid bribe to extract.

Yeah I figured public interest wasn't what they were hoping for when they started out by having us apply for beta access, then changed their mind and just let anyone log on for it, even freebie accounts. Nobody on the UO subreddit gives a crap about it.

Nobody is going to want to build up a whole existence on a new shard, build a house, decorate it and so forth, just to have it all deleted when the season ends. Why, so their character can be shipped back to a prodo shard where they'll just be some ill-equipped lowbie? Even if they have an empty character slot waiting on their home shard, they probably don't have two, so why go back?

The devs can try bribes but god knows what kind of items it would take to make someone play a different shard for a year or whatever just to get them. They won't give the goodies out just for rolling a character there or that would defeat the purpose. They're going to expect people to do stuff.
  • looploop Posts: 374
    McDougle said:
    Well @ Kyronix posted in NL section but this is ignored?  Can you address the issues with the divergent path as well 
    My bad for posting on a holiday weekend :)

Some of these questions may speak to things they want to keep internal but am still curious about how the NL/prodo shard split plays out several months from now after the rush of NL’s release and people settle on whether or not they like it. I’m sure others share this interest and hopefully the team will respond when they’re able :)
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,894
    loop said:
    McDougle said:
    Well @ Kyronix posted in NL section but this is ignored?  Can you address the issues with the divergent path as well 
    My bad for posting on a holiday weekend :)

Some of these questions may speak to things they want to keep internal but am still curious about how the NL/prodo shard split plays out several months from now after the rush of NL’s release and people settle on whether or not they like it. I’m sure others share this interest and hopefully the team will respond when they’re able :)
    Was kind of my point as they are active on the NL side 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • looploop Posts: 374
    edited September 1
    loop said:
    I haven't been able to make it to any M&G. I have a few questions I've been meaning to ask. Maybe other folks know the answer to these?

1. Will there be human resources dedicated to NL and resources dedicated to prodo shards, or will they be shared?
    2. The team mentioned systems will be ported over to prodo shards where those systems are well received or where it makes sense to do. What does that look like mechanically? Will systems be ported over yearly with the end of NL seasons, or just ad hoc depending on the system? Does the team have any specific ones in mind right now that might be good candidates?
    3. With NL, characters and some items will transfer over upon completion of a season. What sort of items? Will they be transferable to non-NL characters or viable for Vendor Search? Do you need a free character slot for the transfer to occur?
    4. Consider the following personas. How do each of these play out in the long term?
    - Player has no interest in NL and never plays.
    - Player plays NL for a little bit but doesn't take to it. Stays with prodo shards.
    - Player likes only NL. Doesn't care for prodo shards.
    Another question which occurred to me:

How will one NL season differ from the others? Will there be fundamental mechanical differences, or will they differ more in terms of storyline, items, and tweaks? In other words, what sort of difference might cause a player not to enjoy one season of NL but look forward to another?
  • KroDuKKroDuK Posts: 163
    edited September 1
    loop said:
    Another question which occurred to me:

How will one NL season differ from the others? Will there be fundamental mechanical differences, or will they differ more in terms of storyline, items, and tweaks? In other words, what sort of difference might cause a player not to enjoy one season of NL but look forward to another?
    NL is design as a big event.. you can already answer that question if you experience 2 different events on UO in the past. This is a year long event.

Knowing they already change the fundamental mechanic and actively working on tweaking NL.. You can expect the same at every new seasons (imo it gonna downgrade good old UO cuz NL cost us dev work).. this is the point of NL.. changing the flavor.. the fuck is they also changed the protein!

NL was the perfect project to centralise UO events on a single living fresh start server; noob and casual friendly with HEAVY RP (LEGACY RP).. it's not even on the level of an illegal shard.. it's a game aim at a totally different audience (if u not jaded).. mid term the jaded players gonna come to realise that and without a SOLID bribe; killing UO even more with an extra theme park grind and less work on the official SANDBOX...

Seeing what is NL today vs my expectation..
    Offering solid content like; hunt 15 rats if your a mighty warrior and still have the flame..  :D

BS rip off EA on that one.. sandbox players gonna pay the price soon enough.. the sad part is there is so much work they could have done and do on UO instead of this new heresy aimed at no one and everyone.. a niche to a niche..

Nobody is going to want to build up a whole existence on a new shard, build a house, decorate it and so forth, just to have it all deleted when the season ends. Why..
    Personally I was imagining it would be part of the sandbox and theorycraft.. u'd build up your legacy.. ex: this season u take the path of the warrior.. your family name is Celeste.. the next year u take back your Celeste name (lineage) to start with a ex: 3HR and 5% HC.. this character u make him a mage warrior.. so the next Legacy reset u'd start with a 3MR and 5% HC (hybrid of mage and warrior buff)

Like a REBORN system hard cap to 1.

but that new season u marry another lineage/legacy character before the end of the season.. (with your friend u do an hybrid of lineage.. mixing blood line) u marry a tank warrior so next season u start with 3MR and 5% DC..

I was imagining different path or ways for different lineage with a legacy part ex.. u were mayor of skara brae in a past season and you make the LORE evolve. .so example NPC could talk about your old character in the future for his good actions and how skara was a good city under x character reign, type of stuff.

You have an old PvP guild house in ruined.. cuz during an early season there was a drama in the top 1 guild and they split up.. u ride with the LORE for the next season..; the biggest asshole could have his statue at bucs.. It was the perfect project for fun sandboxy RP content; friendly for retuning, noob and actual players as a plus.. a fun fast food plus on a living shard..

But i don't expect the bribe to be a statue of your old character (something on the new fresh start NL season)  since a while but something to extract on your actual server to avoid failure by killing UO even more.. forcing us.. burning out your sandbox players base and splitting them from the shard they really want to play for another forced grind event for shard bound heresy to extract.

Just the proof of it.. u can bot on any shard without any issues, except NL.. This speak by itself.. all that matter for boardsword is NL.. if they have to keep ruining UO for NL (with SOLID bribe).. they will.. just by their inaction on botters on the rest of the official servers and forums.
    So rather than recognise the effort the botters went to, to set all that up - for the benefit of the players, to help get certain items, something you could never be bothered to do, you would rather drag people backwards to your neanderthal world?
    -UO official forums, brought to you by BoardSword studio