Locking gameplay elements behind gates

It feels like whats happening with New Legacy is the choice has been made to lock gameplay elements behind gates, so that if a player wants to do a certain thing, they can't, they have to go do this other certain thing first.   A thing they don't want to do, this can be very frustrating.  Especially so when there is a whole bunch of steps added in between that can mess up.  

Might be me misunderstanding, but I think that's an issue too, if its easy to misunderstand or get wrong.. when you're just trying to get through the thing to do what you actually want to do.

I don't think unlocking basic game elements is fun gameplay.  Keep in mind again, this isn't "New Legacy" its "Ultima Online: New Legacy".  People are going to come in with a certain expectation of being able to do things, not have to earn the ability to do those things doing what they're not interested in.

Is the end game going to suffer because so much work has been put into the gates restricting access to it?

Like would the dev's time be better suited concentrating on what people get up to after they've built their characters?  Especially considering character building isn't supposed to be the main event more so with this server than others?

Maybe that's just my personal experience, but this whole beta I've felt absolutely bogged down in the early game... I want to go drop a house down, my bank is full.. I have to kill the orc champ.. ok.. I have to do enough damage with my dexxer?  I thought I did pretty good, guess not.. I don't want to fight the orc champ really, its fun as any champ, but I wanted to place a little house for a bit of extra storage, not fight the orc champ, especially since any loot I get, I can't fit! 

Thought Ok Ill make an alchy for explode pots, that will ramp up the damage, alchemy quest bugged, seemingly.

Comments

• MoresleyMoresley Posts: 31
    another weekend lost to bugs.. I know its a beta, guess that's a good sign, that I still want to play despite it all, but dang does it disappoint, spent all week looking forward then pfft.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,164Dev
    Is there something specific or are you referring to generalities?