Beta Week 5 Testing Feedback

PawainPawain Posts: 9,633

Beta Weekend #4 – Dev Diary

BOD Update

Additional BOD rewards have been added to the various crafting schools, including new dyetubs for customization and some rewards that were previously available in the Cleanup Britannia System

Secure Repair Crates

To better aid crafters in the process of repairing equipment for the realm, a Secure Repair Crate is available from NPC shopkeepers.

Metal Harvesting

The overall design goal of the crafting loop is to allow crafters to “get into the meat” of crafting without having a punishing grind for resources.  As such, we have updated the Ore-to-Ingot ratio so that miners will now collect 10 ingots instead of 2.  Also, pickaxes and shovels will no longer have charges associated with them.  Metal for all!

Congiarium Balance

• In a future update, contribution points for Congiarium progress will be balanced so that pure crafter templates will contribute more power to the Congiarium than those with inscription or alchemy as an accessory skill
  • A new repeatable objective will be introduced to deliver BODs to the Congiarium in exchange for Congius
  • The speed of leveling the Congiarium is artificially boosted to help with testing.  Leveling the tower will take longer when the shard goes live.

Artifact Drop Rates

Drop rates of items on NLS are artificially high to help with the testing process.  These will be reduced when the shard goes live.

Pet Balance

Tamable creatures will go through a balance pass before the shard goes live.

Ranger / Ranged Weapon Viability

Right now we recognize there is a deficiency in the ability for rangers to compete against some higher density spawn areas.  In a future update we plan to address this.  Catapults anyone? Trebuchets? (Just kidding…)

Bosses

Beta testers have proved their courage and tested their mettle against some of Britannia’s most fearsome foes.  Expect a balance pass before we go live.  We want these encounters to be challenging and fun, not punishing.  We also don’t want players to steam roll bosses either.  It’s a difficult needle to thread but feedback thus far has helped us immensely in accomplishing this goal.

Guilds & Dungeon Outpost Encounters

We’ll be reducing the number of teams required for the Dungeon Outpost from 5 to 3 teams for testing.  We will also be bumping the value of Guild Prestige Tokens awarded to aid in guild leveling testing.  Who will be the first guild to build a Keep?

Death & Durability

The durability on random loot drops has been reduced from 250 to 150.  Upon death equipment will lose some durability as well.  Finally, the loot timer for corpses killed in PvP has been removed.  Happy hunting!

Miscellaneous Fixes & Updates

• Resolved issue where small spellbook & runebook BODs would not increment the count on their respective large BODs
  • Resolved issue where whip LBODs weren’t worth more than SBODs.
Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,633
    Pet Bonding Gate at trinsic stables works.

Feed Pet, walk pet thru gate, feed again to bond.

Id Bonding process has already begun, Walk pet thru gate, feed pet to bond.
    2  BODs were plenty for the job board.  Why is it 3 BODs now?
    The resource pack overfill works.

first time repairing items removes the color and dye.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 2,024
    Pawain said:
    2  BODs were plenty for the job board.  Why is it 3 BODs now?
    It's been 2 or 3 ever since the first weekend. it seems like the first one is 2, then after that you are asked for three. and It seems to reset a couple of times a day. And I could be completely mistaken and it is random. but it has at times asked me for 3 since Beta weekend 1.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• AnukanakaAnukanaka Posts: 17
    edited August 24
    Deceit spider web spawn rate very low 
    Not entirely sure it is a bug, but I am unable to get out of The Titanweave spider lair. it acts like there is a door on it, at least until I die. Cannot retrieve my stuff now.

edited August 24
    Not entirely sure it is a bug, but I am unable to get out of The Titanweave spider lair. it acts like there is a door on it, at least until I die. Cannot retrieve my stuff now.
    Its fitting, your buck naked butt named Victim will be there welcoming adventures all day.
    edited August 24
    Pawain said:
    Its fitting, your buck naked butt named Victim will be there welcoming adventures all day.
    With you sitting there watching . . .

on a serious note, server reset and my body was still there without the Titanweave spawned. I grabbed my body and went on about my bidness. I had no issue leaving alive with the spider not spawned.

• GarretGarret Posts: 148

Dear developers i hope you will have time and passion to read my feedback.

Congiarium:

In general, the system is clear, I was glad to participate in one of the reward improvements, but there are nuances: not all bods are effective, at least that was my feeling, the easiest and fastest were the carpenter BODs, so after I completed about 150 regular ones (for the guild master to get colored ones) and passed about 60 colored ones, I was a little upset that all the BODs that I had saved up were gone and I no longer had the opportunity to do what I like.
      Maybe it’s worth making Congiarium reset the cooldown on BODs at least partially for 50-100 minutes.

Outposts:

The outposts are too big, you can run around for a long time and not find anyone.
      I think the outpost should be 3-4 vs 3-4 with a smaller map and three capture points that can be recaptured.
      It would also be very cool to make a queue with the option 1 vs 1 arena through the guild menu (with preseted rules no custom rules plz and ladder for 1 v 1 atleast for guild).

Guild quests:

We need to add quests for quadract for guilds, but not focus only on damage or healing, but let's last X amount of time or take no more than X amount of damage.
      I would also like to have guild quests for killing bosses, I understand that it is difficult, but you can try to come up with funny quests in the style of “kill the spider boss so that there is not a single cocoon left in the room with the spider".

Ranger/Archery/Ranged weapons and skills:

Perhaps I'll start with hiding and poising, it is necessary for archers to also have these skills. For more variety of builds.
      Shadowstrike should require hiding instead of stealth and require it not 80 as in retail but no more than 40-50 points.
       Add to the game an elven composite bow with a serpent shot and a second ability- shadowstrike. Arrows for serpent shot must first be poisoned with poison, one bottle for 10 arrows.
      Melee fighters have a big advantage over archers in the context of parrying and the ability to use different potions with one hand without losing much in defense, when the archer has to be completely unarmed in such a situation, I propose making the balanced property basic for all bows.
      Return the ability to hit the zone to the magic shortbow, also limit the number of targets to 2-3-4-5-6.

Crafting:

We need a little more depth in the crafting system.
      Since we can only own two characters, I propose to make the container for resources common to two characters and then all the questions about the fact that the crafter character cannot fight normally will disappear. Also return the colored leather for tailors so that we can get it with a combat character.
      To bring back the runic system, they can only be bought for the maximum number of points and all they will do is the ability to make from Accurate/of Ruin/Guarding to Exceedingly Accurate/of Power/Fortification so that you can concentrate on making an item of a specific type like a butcher knife or a certain piece of armor that I want but can’t get from monsters (vanq/invul will still be locked behind boss random drop).
       Bring back the enhancement system, for colored resources they would add +1% resist (is more then enough so ppls who willing will min/max) depending on the color or 20% or 30% or 50% elemental damage for weapons, distribute each type to a specific color of the material.

P.S. i realy hope u will read this dear devs, ty.

@Kyronix @Bleak @Mesanna @devs
  • I noticed that the Crimson Dragon drops an artifact Dragonplate Set, the "Crimson Wyrmscale" set. It'd be cool if having the full set equipped would actually bestow a Set Bonus, like 20-30% Fire Eater. Pre-AoS Red Dragonplate armor would absorb a portion of Fire Damage you took, yet made you more vulnerable to Poison Damage.

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,894
    Priced at 40k each on a shard with less than 30 days play seems like the economy already wacky? 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited August 27
    McDougle said:
    Priced at 40k each on a shard with less than 30 days play seems like the economy already wacky? 
    That's a bargain for those pieces.  Some beginning quests give you 10k.  Many give 500.  Every few hours you can get 10k for fighting a Boss.  Things were selling for 100k in the second week.

Do 4 boss fights gets you 40k and whatever drops and loot you get.  Make sure you find the NPC first.

Some players will be better than other players. 

Some players have been able to afford three tiers of the Yacht Club.

I'm sitting on 10k because I like to shop.

edited August 27
    @PlayerSkillFTW ; Show me that vendor, I want the Helmet!  40k is a bargain!

2 Fire drakes on an Arctic Ogre Lord makes gold fast.
  • Pawain said:
    @ PlayerSkillFTW  Show me that vendor, I want the Helmet!  40k is a bargain!

2 Fire drakes on an Arctic Ogre Lord makes gold fast.

It's the vendor at the first house at the Ice Island docks. G.M.O. owns it, he's constantly hunting bosses and has the largest Boss Artifact collection i've seen on NL. The Crimson Dragon definitely seems to give the best artifacts, which makes sense since he's also the strongest NL boss so far.
    Here's a couple more from the Crimson Dragon. That bow rips into the Icemancer boss pretty good, especially if a Tamer has Emberwing spamming him with Inferno.

WWs and Ice Fiends are also a good source of gold with 2 Fire Drakes or Emberwing. Balrons are good too with a WW.
  • KelKel Posts: 35
    G.M.O is kinda greed incarnate and has no interest in helping the community or players directly, but he is helping us without realizing by putting some of this cool loot on display so we can figure out what's out there and where to get it.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,427
    When my first trip to Crimson dragon netted me the lantern I was delighted, but I was a bit taken aback when the first reaction from that person was 'can I buy it?'

I said 'no, I want to keep it', but the reply I thought was far less restrained.
    Kel said:
    G.M.O is kinda greed incarnate and has no interest in helping the community or players directly, but he is helping us without realizing by putting some of this cool loot on display so we can figure out what's out there and where to get it.
    That is totally false.  I met him the first week and he has given me many things for free.  He gave me a emm acc power hammer pick because he knew I was a macer.

As things progressed he dropped the old vendor contents on the ground.

He obviously helps with bosses.

He and Ian are great assets.

Some players will be better than others.
    McDougle said:
    I was kinda adding up how much gold I have spent.

Estimates:

I have bought weapons 40k.  I have bought armor and rings 30k.  Reagents at 10 per 30k or more. Yacht club 25k. I bribed up 2 BODs to valorite.  Cost more than 50k the last bribe cost 13k. Change to mace 10k. House 36k.  I have 3 houses. Misc horses, tools, etc  10k.

I have blown through quite a bit of gold.

When you finish the quests you have made enough to buy needed supplies, yacht club. and a house, 

edited August 27
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    I was kinda adding up how much gold I have spent.

Estimates:

I have bought weapons 40k.  I have bought armor and rings 30k.  Reagents at 10 per 30k or more. Yacht club 25k. I bribed up 2 BODs to valorite.  Cost more than 50k the last bribe cost 13k. Change to mace 10k. House 36k.  I have 3 houses. Misc horses, tools, etc  10k.

I have blown through quite a bit of gold.

When you finish the quests you have made enough to buy needed supplies, yacht club. and a house, 

Agree on that. I usually have about 100k each time I finish a character. I do take time to farm gold while doing it though. I farm regs and Bandages from Mummies and the gold adds up too. Made a supremely accurate vanquishing silver cleaver just for it when that became an option. I’ll go farm for about 45 minutes or so and then go play. I’ve got about a mil in assets, not all gold though. 

edited August 27
    Well we know where the prime real estate will be.  The ones by the docks on Ice.  That will be our market place.  Anyone can get there fast 

Trinsic could be a market area if there is an obelisk near houses.

For recalling;
    Trinsic by the ant hole or mountains.

Ice closer to the dungeon.

I don't know where players from skara have houses.

• MariahMariah Posts: 3,136Moderator
    edited August 27
    There is an obelisk at Skara house area.
    Obviously I don't currently have access to the beta shard, but using the main shard felucca map, the obelisk is at the shown guard tower with the houses just below it.

That would give them a shopping area.  I found an obelisk on the second floor of a crossing. Near covetous.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,894
    It took forever in old school uo to save for even the smallest house 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    McDougle said:
    It took forever in old school uo to save for even the smallest house 
    We can't undo our knowledge and experience.  We are smarter now and know what to do and how to do it.  If you just ran around trying to figure stuff out in NL, it would take a while to get gold.

We are not going back. 
  • KelKel Posts: 35
    Pawain said:
    Well we know where the prime real estate will be.  The ones by the docks on Ice.  That will be our market place.  Anyone can get there fast

This is a really good point that can be addressed while we have time. I almost feel obligated to roll a certain way on launch just to get an ice house. Not ideal.

I hate the idea that I feel bad on launch for rolling a warrior because I get a terrible Trinsic house, and even worse if I rolled a crafter and I get a Skara house that the majority of people still don't even know exists.

The housing situation is weird and has it's own set of placement issues. But having one class location be so much better than the rest just feels kinda bad. I guess you could but rights, but that's a 10k penalty early on for picking the wrong class.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 577
    edited August 28
    Kel said:

Me and G.M.O. were partied together killing bosses on Sunday night. He was using 2 Tamer/Mages with Emberwings. I was using a Disco/Tamer/Mage and a Bard/Archer. My Tamer was swapping between Emberwing and a WW depending on the fight, and my Bard/Archer was running 3 Spellsongs at once to buff the party (hence why we were partied), and just got the 4th Spellsong before the shard went down. We were tearing through most bosses.
    I gotta say though, having to click all the different instruments to play the various Spellsongs every 30 seconds, was a pain. They need to streamline that.

PS: Fire Horns don't work on NL. They still rely on Musicianship skill to use, and that skill doesn't exist in NL. Was hoping my Bard/Archer could use Firehorns as an AoE option :/
  • StingardStingard Posts: 23
    Is there a list or wiki for the NL bosses out there yet?   I will finish up taming tomorrow and wanted to try some out.
  • RonFellowsRonFellows Posts: 124
    UO.com is down. Nobody knows!
  • UO.com is down. Nobody knows!

It is back up now. :)
    Ultima Online Twitter/X - https://twitter.com/UOTownCryer
    Ultima Online Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/uotowncryer/
    Ultima Online Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/uofenneko
    E-mail: uo.fenneko@gmail.com