protection buff description is not technically correct

MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
edited May 2018 in Bugs
Many buff descriptions are vague, we accept this, however protection buff reads
"You casting speed is decreased"
As a general statement this is normally true, however not technically correct, as it only decreases the fast casting cap by 2.
So if you (like me) are a spellweaving mage with FC 2, the statement is true for magery however the casting speed of spellweaving is not decreased. There are many other scenarios where the statement is not true (if you had FC0)

Expected result: buff to read "Your Faster Casting Cap is reduced by 2"

Sorry to be anal but we must get these things correct.

I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,046
    edited May 2018
    What is the faster casting cap for weaving and Mysticism?  infinite?  I found a possible 4 for weaving. Not on official site.

Working as intended. 

Spell weaving is slow enough.  And are you sure it does not make FC 0 on mage spells?  I use the town buff and the magery spells cast the same speed. with 2 or 3 under protection.

But run with it.  I just run 2/4 so I wont be affected.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    edited May 2018
    No no Pawain, you must read carefully. It’s a technical description. There is nothing wrong with protection, it is working as intended, 

and yes magery faster casting is always reduced to 0 under protection as the faster casting cap is always 2 therefore will always be reduced to 0. You may have to just read the post a few times. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

I edited while you replied.  

You want to slow (reduce cap )all other magics while protection is on?
    I don’t want to change anything but a string of text in the buff description, calm down. 

• Max_BlackoakMax_Blackoak Posts: 620
    Pawain said:
    I edited while you replied.  

You want to slow (reduce cap )all other magics while protection is on?
    Mervyn is simply pointing out that the in game description of what the spell does is incorrect or poorly worded and suggests this to be fixed to reflect better what the spell actually does.
    He never suggested any change to the game mechanics.
  • DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    Mervyn said:

Yep. Jolly good.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 895
    edited June 2018
    Protection isn't -2 FC.  Protection sets your FC cap to 0,

Mysticism > Stoneform is -2 Fc, which you can over-cap, with +4 Fc to continue casting at 2/6 while in Stoneform.

The description of the Protection within the Magery spellbook says that, but the "buff" description simply says "Your casting speed is Decreased" it should be more specific to read:  "Your Faster Casting is set to 0"
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    CovenantX said:
    It should be more specific to read:  "Your Faster Casting is set to 0"
    That would cause less confusion.  
    edited June 2018
    It doesn’t set you faster casting to 0, when you put prot on, you can still cast chiv (if magery is below 70) and spellweaving at FC 2. Surprising I know.

Your expected message would not be correct either:

Unless you want all the casting caps to be reduced.  
    edited June 2018
    Pawain, this IS how it works, all casting caps ARE reduced by 2, please refrain from commenting on non taming related threads (and taming threads preferably).

edited July 2018
    also Both clients, description of the protection spell in the spellbook is incorrect: description reads: "Imposes a cap of 0 on faster casting"

Expected result: sentence to read "reduces faster casting cap by 2"

edited July 2018
    Both Clients: desription of archcure in spellbook is incorrect: reads "neutralises poisons on all characters within a small radius around the caster"

Expected result: should read "neutralises poisons on all valid targets within a small radius around the target location"

Both clients: magic reflection spell description in spell book makes no mention of the ability to magic reflect....

edited July 2018
    Both clients: description of mass curse in spellbook reads: "casts the curse spell on a target and any other creatures within a two tile radius" This is not true, as the curse spell describes that it "reduces the target's maximum resistance values"

Both clients: description of flamestrike in spellbook contains grammatical error: "of magical flame the deals Fire damage"

edited July 2018
    Both clients: description of mass dispel reads "attempts to dispel any summoned creature within an eight tile radius"

Expected result to read: "attempts to dispel any summoned creature within an eight tile radius of the target location"

Both clients: description of polymorph spell reads "other players will see the caster as a criminal" Statement no longer true.

edited July 2018
    both clients: decription of mysticism spell sleep (and mass sleep) reads: "a slept target will awaken if harmed" statement not true.

both clients: description of mysticism spell stone form in mysticism book reads: "reducing the caster's movement" statement no longer true.

I’m surprised these have not been corrected yet, they’re only description errors and should not take 6 months to correct.

edited March 2019
    Perfection buff is missing any description of current luck bonus (is also not reflected in character status in either client)

edited March 2019
    deleted

Mervyn said:
    both clients: decription of mysticism spell sleep (and mass sleep) reads: "a slept target will awaken if harmed" statement not true.
    This statement is infact true, this post is an error.

Description of Attunement in spellweaving book incorrect:
    reads "ability to absorb phyical damage"

expected result: should read "absorb kinetic damage"

Description of word of death in spellweaving book is no longer current,

(deals direct damage now also, not chaos)

• My gawd I wish I had all the time you do to search out these "bugs". If our Devs spend all their time with you, we will never get new content. 
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    Actually the description in the wiki says: Creatures that are not slain outright take chaos damage instead. Creatures that are under 5-30% of their health take direct damage.
    Description in the book says:

I would say those descriptions match if you read all the way to the bottom.
    Unless you are saying both are wrong?

wod.jpg 31.5K
    Under 30% damage a creature that is not slain outright takes a large amount of damage that is direct damage, not chaos. Maybe it gives chaos damage above 30%. 

edited September 2020
    Codex description in paperdoll book lists "Long Sword" under Armor Ignore, and Concussion Blow, weapon is actually called a "Longsword" one word.

(Seems irrelevant but could cause confusion/frustration when researching or vendor searching the weapon)