Skill gain Heresy

TimTim Posts: 811
Hi sorry about the length.

When I GM'ed my blacksmith and wanted to get some magery on him I was told "the guild masters" had decided I had to GM my other crafting skills first (I hope). Sort of kills the concept of it being "my legacy". It started me thinking about skills.
  • As others have pointed out Skilling up is less than a grind in NL but it is still just a grind. 
  • The concept of "do this thing to rase the skill at that thing" is dead on all shards. Too much of a grind and everyone knows the "cheats"
  • No one is impressed by GM (Legendary in production shards) anymore.
  • Any alternative I can think of to the town job board "fill bods" or "go kill this thing" are only more entertaining (for a wile) grinding.
I would suggest instead 
Any character wanting to start a skill would have to do the quests but without the "come back when you get skill up to x level" bits. This would make the player have the basics and save everyone the "how do I do this" questions. I found the carpenter do 25 bods for the guild master fair and not too much of a grind. The same for warriors the aid the troops on Serpent's hold quest line.

After the quests to prove your character has the basics either GM at that point or auto rase every hour or so the character is on line. 

If a player wants to relearn a skill set it to gain. Maybe pay a fee to the Guild like switching from swordsman to macing. If it previously had the skill and has point to move. It just gos up at the set rate for being online. The time delay to prevent insta skill switch outside skill "families".

Or 

Make GM mean something. For the higher levels make quests with a high chance of failure. I've always said on production shards Legendary Swordsman should mean going to the guild master who gives you a butcher knife and tells you to go solo a dragon or two. That would mean something, not that you scraped together the "gold" to buy a power scroll.

I'm guessing it's too late to change things in NL even if the developers agreed with me but I'm interested in what others think.

Comments

• GarretGarret Posts: 153
    edited August 12
    1.I tnink crafters shuld have option to learn any skill bcz we are locked on stats, it is hard to be real mage with 10 int so if it your decision why not ?
    2.You can switch your weapon skill as warior for another but with CD, if you alredy on cd you have to pay 10k gold and spend around 60-80 min to beat Ettins ass to get GM and you fine,
    3. Skill lvl walls for campaign chapters is fine, cd for quest is low now, just do not lock uself with one town and you will find that Trisic is worst, Scara is easyest and Moonglow is 50/50 could be hard could be easy. Also you have to be at certain skill lvl to beat next campaign step so it kind ok that you have locked at 70/80/90/100 % also you have divergent way if you don't like this skill walls.
    4. They could just remove grand master name to not bother ppls with that wording, bcz yes grand master means that you spend a lot of time and effort to become best of the best, i think it is only spell problem for the game.