An opt out of the quest and class system?

If at the end of the "storyline" we can just more or less choose the skills we want for our characters anyways, and for those of us who the quests aren't jiving with and just desire a classic UO playstyle... could the old style skill progression/quest deactivation be a toggle?  Doesn't take away from those wanting to use the quest system, but would help with player retention, thanks.

Comments

• SmootSmoot Posts: 402
    agreed. my interest in new legacy dropped to 0 when i realized the only way to progress a character is quests.  just doesnt seem very "sandboxy" which is what UO is known for.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,641
    I hate skilling.  Quest method is awesome. Kill stuff earn skills.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MoresleyMoresley Posts: 31
    edited August 3
    I couldn't be further from that feeling Pawain, every SINGLE time I have to do ANOTHER quest I get a physical reaction, they're awful.  Its an especially nightmarish way to greet old UO players expecting something akin to a UO experience.  I can't be the only one that is GUTTED about the direction this sever took, I was so excited when I read about this a year ago, didn't even finish reading and raced to make an account, had to come back and read more to realize it was still some time away.

Try doing the crafting quests and NOT pulling your hair out every time they have you run to yet another location to do nothing yet again.  

If gaining skills aren't meant to be sort of part of the dynamic of the shard and this is all basically a tutorial, I gotta say, you're pushing away just as many people as you'll draw in.

We can have both system can we not?  Its gotta be there, just turned off.  You hating skilling and loving questing doesn't mean we can't have skilling and people cant opt out of the questing?

I'm just trying to salvage something I spent too long looking forward to.

WoW basically printed money with a classic server did they not?  Seems like a no brainer with UO.

Have to say though, the effort on the game is very much appreciated, don't want that to be lost.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,641
    edited August 4
    They said they would let you gain skills the 3 year method  in a diff publish.

We are just playing the tutorial and skill gain methods of NL.  This is not NL.  This is what you do the first few days you play NL.

in the meantime Ill remind you:

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MoresleyMoresley Posts: 31
    Good to hear.  I think the difference is you were never forced to "skill".
  • KalseyKalsey Posts: 11
    Yeah I was giving this every chance, but not for me.  Maybe when NL is released I'll change my mind if changes are made.  No way do I want to do quests all day.  Run around dungeons and get killed.  Start over, repeat.  As many years that I played UO, I found this beta insane.  Cannot imagine a new player finding it easier.  Took the Mage path, maybe it's different for other paths.  Died 4 times now in the dungeon, for what?  Don't even know what I'm looking for...go east, go southeast.