Ultima Online: New Legacy Feedback

Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,408
As per @Kyronix suggestion here is a feedback thread for NL.
Almost felt like I was back 26 years without a clue what to do.  Had somewhat of an idea of what to do because of all the videos UO put out so I went to find the Mayor and start the quests.  Kind of strange starting with no skills.  The first part of the quests were perty straight forward, the fun part was finding all the different places to go.  I finely got the scroll to the warrior guild but I didn't want to be a warrior, I wanted to be a Blacksmith.  That was the first char I made when I started UO.

Tried calling out in chat on how to become a Smith but got no help so I went to the Warrior Guild and hoped he would give me a choice but he didn't give a choice to even become a warrior.  I finely just started going to every building and talk to everybody.  Wouldn't you know it the last place on the south side of town is a pub and there was NPC for the different starting professions.  Found the crafter and went to the Blacksmith shop to talk to the trainer and did all the Smith quests for Ocelo.

You can only gain skills/stats through quests.  I have 60 smith and 60 mining.  Not bad gains for a couple of hours of playing.  Before leaving Ocelo I wanted to do the Tailor and Carpentry skills so I went back to the Craftsman quest giver and it would NOT give it to me. 

Overall I had fun and sure felt like it did way back when I first started.

@Kyronix
Is there a reason we can not do all the crafting skills before we leave Ocelo or did I miss something?
Why is there no Tinkering skill so we can make our tools and not have to buy them.
I understand skill gains with the quests but I did a lot of mining and only gained skills through the quests, is there a reason for this?
Will we get BOD Books and why did the Blacksmith offer to bribe the BODs and also the BOD banking point system was there.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,612
    Need to spread out the quest mobs in the Trinsic passage.  And re spawn faster.

I think you over spawned the spiders.

Played and goofed off for about 10 hours today. Was fun after I figured out where the places to go are.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited July 27
    @Lord_Frodo this link answers your tinker question and maybe more.  You only gain from quests, not fighting or crafting.  Some BOD rewards are pretty sweet I hear.

https://uo.com/wiki/new-legacy-beta/new-legacy-beta-faq/
    If you Item ID something and put it in the bank, the ID goes away.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 2,020
    edited July 27
    I am curious if there is a way to craft Picks/Shovels. I know they combined Tinkering and Smithing, Do the tools show up with a quest, or a "specialization"? just curious for now as i am able to get enough picks from bods to satisfy my ingot addiction.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• MariahMariah Posts: 3,136Moderator
    You gain by doing quests, one of the lowest reward in any skill from a bod is tools. You might need to buy tools to start off, but after that you'll get as many as you need while gaining skill.
    Mariah said:
    You gain by doing quests, one of the lowest reward in any skill from a bod is tools. You might need to buy tools to start off, but after that you'll get as many as you need while gaining skill.
    I understand that, my question is whether i am missing it, or will it come later.

no, there is no tinker skill, blacksmiths make most of the weapons tinker's used to do, tailors make whips.
    @Lord_Frodo Bod books will be crafted by mages who have learned inscription. Eventually, when they have a house, they'll probably have a vendor selling them, before that ask in chat. When you've GM'd smithing you'll have an opportunity to add another skill.

• AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 269
    Mariah said:
    @ Lord_Frodo Bod books will be crafted by mages who have learned inscription. Eventually, when they have a house, they'll probably have a vendor selling them, before that ask in chat. When you've GM'd smithing you'll have an opportunity to add another skill.

Oh can smiths pick up secondary crafting skills now? I thought they needed to have combat skills as secondary 
  • NonelNonel Posts: 28
    Is the "Advanced skill unlocks" list the entire list of skills that'll be on NL?

I don't see stealing. :(
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 851
    Nonel said:
    Is the "Advanced skill unlocks" list the entire list of skills that'll be on NL?

I don't see stealing. :(

I haven't seen anything for rogues. I'm not saying there for sure isn't anything because I don't know what may be down the pike. But so far, nothing. I think that's a real drag if there's no way to be a lock picker and thief.

On another front...The Defend Three Cargo Crates job quest at the Southern Expanse, south of Skara the lava lizard spawn is totally out of whack. The gates were opening up so fast and furious, like five gates at a time then even more at a time, there's no way a group of us could possibly keep up.
  • NonelNonel Posts: 28
    So far not what I expected. I thought it was going to be the same great sandbox with more of an RP focus and a classic hybrid feel with that seasonal/yearly wipe (which I thought would be awesome). Instead its weird looking trees and a complete lack of freedom to choose your path.

Screwing with the skill system in this way seems sacrilegious toward UO.

Someone replaced the sandbox with a model train. :(
    edited July 27
    Yeah, Nonel...Not sure what it takes to convince devs to throw a little love at rogue class.

My Quest Objectives from the job quest board is a complete mess so far this morning.

Ignore the top quest, that's for going back to the Ranger League after I finish getting skills to 70.

Defend the cargo crates quest was impossible because of out of control spawn of lava lizards. Five or more red moongates spawning at a time with 3 lizards a gate is too much. Had to abandon the quest.

Slay 8 gazers in the Hedge Maze was totally broken for me. After each and every gazer kill I immediately got the system message that I did not complete my objective in time. After killing gazers for 15 minutes I was well over the needed count. I got the sound that comes with adding a kill to your task but again, the message saying I'd timed out on objective. Count would never go up, stayed stuck at 1 kill.

Tried logging off, closing game out completely, logged back in and tried killing more gazers. Again, get the sound effect of add a kill to your task count but message saying I'd not completed my task in time showed up and count wouldn't budge.

This makes the cool down time on taking a new task even more frustrating. With 38 minutes still left on my clock I have to bail on the gazer quest.

Edited to ask: Is there any way to clear the expired or abandoned quests from the quest log?

• croy6325croy6325 Posts: 5
    edited July 27
    I played for a few hours and I personally enjoyed the first 5 minutes of it.  The new moongate, new map and trees; I hadn't been in Occlo in forever so it felt cool, plus I'm a HUGE fan of questlines.

Everything after that just made me ask, "Why?".  
    • Everything is on rails and no longer feels like a sandbox. 
    • Skill/stat gain ONLY through quests
    • no choice on character builds (mage, warrior, crafter)
    I certainly appreciate the willingness to try new things, but I felt a little disappointed.  I guess I was hoping for some sort of a "classic reboot".

However, this is the first beta and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes, but I can't see this how this is going to hold anyone's attention... I could be wrong though.
    LilyGrace said:
    Yeah, Nonel...Not sure what it takes to convince devs to throw a little love at rogue class.

My Quest Objectives from the job quest board is a complete mess so far this morning.

Ignore the top quest, that's for going back to the Ranger League after I finish getting skills to 70.

Defend the cargo crates quest was impossible because of out of control spawn of lava lizards. Five or more red moongates spawning at a time with 3 lizards a gate is too much. Had to abandon the quest.

Slay 8 gazers in the Hedge Maze was totally broken for me. After each and every gazer kill I immediately got the system message that I did not complete my objective in time. After killing gazers for 15 minutes I was well over the needed count. I got the sound that comes with adding a kill to your task but again, the message saying I'd timed out on objective. Count would never go up, stayed stuck at 1 kill.

Tried logging off, closing game out completely, logged back in and tried killing more gazers. Again, get the sound effect of add a kill to your task count but message saying I'd not completed my task in time showed up and count wouldn't budge.

This makes the cool down time on taking a new task even more frustrating. With 38 minutes still left on my clock I have to bail on the gazer quest.

Edited to ask: Is there any way to clear the expired or abandoned quests from the quest log?

Yes, I'm not sure and can't currently test, but I believe if you click on the 'failed'?
    Yes! Thank you, @Mariah !
    Mariah said:
    no, there is no tinker skill, blacksmiths make most of the weapons tinker's used to do, tailors make whips.
    Thank you @Mariah. i am planning on advancing my smith today and further my testing of this. Loving it so far.

• FeigrFeigr Posts: 512
    edited July 27
    Firstly, I had a blast.  Going through the first few hours felt boring, but I see the bigger picture after that.  I'm excited.  I'm not going to put a lot more time into the Beta though, but I'm excited to play New Legacy.

All of these are part of the Magery quests.

1)  Spell scrolls are given out rarely.  But, you get two spellbooks as far as I can tell.  I accidentally put a scroll in the first spellbook instead of the second.  So now to cast Night Sight I have to carry around two spellbooks in my pack constantly.

2) I'm not sure if others agree or not, but I found the instructions after the Telekenesis quest and before the Teleport quest to be unclear.  When you reach the end of the hallway to do the Teleport section there isn't anything in the quest dialogue that tells you to double click the table.  And, before this point you never had to double click what the orb was sitting on.

Not insurmountable.

3) The orbs you can equip aren't blessed.  I'm not sure if this was intentional or not. 

Not part of magery quests...

The timers on dailies seems really weird.  I'm not sure I fully understand.

Can we get an answer on if the Legacy Name selection is just for Beta? I think it's assumable that it is, but sometimes these things can also be permanent with all the warnings we get.
  • WhitewolfWhitewolf Posts: 213
    so far im really liking it, been playing it on EC, playing a a mage, only 2 issues i have is one of the quests where you have a time limit to defend a tomb as a mage is very difficult because you run out mana then the timer is up before you have a enough mana to kill the rest, took me about 6 tries before it finally felt sorry for me i guess and just gave me the next quest and im really not liking the skill gain system, prefer the old way, but im guessing this is to prevent people from auto macoring skills.
  • TimTim Posts: 811
    The first quest chain should be started as soon as you step out of the moon gate.
    Some know it alls might just run by him without clicking on him and spend an hour or so not able to do anything.
    Not saying who but just saying  :*

Other than that looks interesting. Most of the problems I saw were just everybody trying to start a the same time.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,164Dev
    Thanks for the feedback so far.  Really glad to hear you are enjoying forging your legacy.

I'll try to answer some overview questions that have popped up...

With re: to TInkering, some of the tinkering products have moved over into Blacksmithing while others will be available through other means.  You won't be able to craft tools.  They will either be BOD rewards or will need to purchased from an NPC.  Small gold sinks like this (similar to reagents for mages) are critical to keeping the economy on a healthy footing.

We've heard feedback on the defend daily objectives and will adjust difficulty in a future release.

The narrative line for assassin will be available in a later beta release.  

With regard to thieves - the area we are still considering options is PvP thievery.  The meta of PvP thievery tends to lean towards a little too much carrot a not enough stick.  Playing a thief back in the day was one of my favorite things to do.  I can't imagine how many people broke keyboards or threw things at the monitor thanks to my antics.  And therein lies the issue - it's a gameplay loop entirely based on griefing someone else.  It's a delicate needle to thread.  Like I said, we have some ideas for the PvP thief but are still considering options.  PvE thiever is a lot easier since your stealing from the environment anyway.

Happy adventuring!
  • RonFellowsRonFellows Posts: 122

Here is my feedback so far. This is my experience choosing the path of the mage in CC.

1.      New ferry system is very neat. I like the white screen transitions.

2.      Skill gain via quests is an interesting idea, however, it feels like that should only be one option. IMO one of the best things about UO is the ability to do what you want.

3.      Main quest trigger points are super buggy. I had to run over many of the main quest locations dozens of times before it registered that I had arrived at the location it wanted me to be at.

4.      Daily quests are sometimes difficult to find. I was told by an EC player that there is an arrow that points you in the direction of said quest via a “track” button. This is not in CC and needs to be.

5.      The daily quests are also super repetitive and got old VERY fast. I think people will  need a lot more variety for release to stay interested.

6.      Why can’t I sell hides to vendors? If I die and lose all my reagents and don’t have any gold, am I supposed to go beg so I can continue playing? There needs to be a way to make a little extra coin early on for this situation.

7.      Most importantly IMO, the Classic Client needs huge love. Obviously, I am a current player and I know what kind of experience I am going to get using CC. I’ll leave the debate on the “other” clients for another thread, but they have some very good points. If I were a returning player and I have to adjust my systems desktop resolution or magnification I’d have a bad taste in my mouth from the very beginning. Screen size, fps, gridded containers, please above all else, ENHANCE the classic client.

Ill post some more feedback after the session ends tomorrow. I hope that you find my opinions useful for your beta development @Kyronix

Attached photo: Classic Client with the maximum play window size on a 4k monitor.

@RonFellows - thanks for the feedback.  You should be able to sell your hides to the provisioner for some modest coin - they will basically buy anything.
  • RonFellowsRonFellows Posts: 122
    Interesting, I'll have to figure out how to remove items from the resource pack I guess. Off to work for the evening!
    @RonFellows - that you can't do, once items are in the resource pack you can only utilize them in crafting.  Enjoy!
  • NorryNorry Posts: 533
    edited July 27
    The crafting primers in occlo are not respawning, so no one can compkete the starting smith quest, or tailor. Might want to make them insta respawn, or just clickable and not consumeable. @Kyronix
    Noooo! What a bummer, @Kyronix. I’ve always had rogues and made the best I could out of what a non-pvp rogue could do. I stole from all the town chests and crates and from npc packs. 

I don’t even know anymore how many rogue characters I’ve built over the years. This is such a bummer thst you guys didn’t put any effort into building a storyline and quests for non PvP thieves. 

Why couldn’t you have built a storyline out of Bucs that would have stealthy thieves needing to sneak in here and there and procure items that needed to be returned to a thief guildmaster.  I’m so disappointed 
    LilyGrace said:
    Noooo! What a bummer, @ Kyronix. I’ve always had rogues and made the best I could out of what a non-pvp rogue could do. I stole from all the town chests and crates and from npc packs. 

I don’t even know anymore how many rogue characters I’ve built over the years. This is such a bummer thst you guys didn’t put any effort into building a storyline and quests for non PvP thieves. 

Why couldn’t you have built a storyline out of Bucs that would have stealthy thieves needing to sneak in here and there and procure items that needed to be returned to a thief guildmaster.  I’m so disappointed 
    You have it reversed - we are still evaluating PvP thieves, PvE thieves will have their own narrative. 
    Oooooh!!

I was trying to imagine no lock picking. No stealthing. No goodies to steal. And I was sad. Thank you! Sorry for the misunderstanding. 
  • OkamiOkami Posts: 84
    Kyronix said:
    @ RonFellows - that you can't do, once items are in the resource pack you can only utilize them in crafting.  Enjoy!

The issue is the hides automatically go into the resource pack upon acquiring them, thus you can't actually sell them.