Dungeon Crawler

With the loss of my castle a long time ago, I lost soul stones that allowed me to have a Rogue/Treasure Hunter.

I am rebuilding my Rogue, but I have too many skills that will put me over the stat cap.
Currently it looks like this:

Magery 110/110
Eval Int 110/110
Meditation 110/110
Lock Picking 100/100
Fishing 100/100
Hiding 92.1/100
Stealth 34.9/100
Stealing 39.2/115

As you can see I am looking at 845 points if everything was maxed. The 110's in Magery, Med and Eval were for battling things at sea with my Fishing. As an aside, I do have Shadow Dancer leggings. I might be able to shave some points off there.

The way I see my options are this. One, make a new character and switch the Fishing and Lockpicking to that new character. Make it a treasure hunter. Two, buy soul stones (RL cash, ugh) and stone Fishing, Lock Picking and eventually Carto.

Any thoughts? Not a fan of spending RL cash but I may have to.

Comments

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,054
    edited July 17
    @Cookie may be able to help you figure out the template / gear to fit a bunch of rogue skills onto the same character.

--
    However, over the last 14 years there have been a number of game mechanic build outs and added interactions.

You will probably be happiest running multiple characters for different types of "rogue" gameplay or investing in a number of soul stones.

--
    I would start by separating fishing and treasure hunting out from any "rogue" things you were doing in 2010.

A basic fisher will probably have Fishing and Magery / Med / Eval. A dungeon fisher might add in hiding / stealth. A deepwater fisher may run Archery / Tactics and use The Horselord bow to deal with Ele's and Sea Serpents.

Something along those lines. There are honestly a bunch of different templates for fishers, but nothing you're fishing up is locked, so no need for thief skills.

Treasure hunting is an almost completely separate profession now, and a dedicated T-Hunter will be well worth your time if you enjoy maps. There are probably 5-6 really solid t-hunter builds. You can check the forums here and on Stratics for detailed information. The basic build is probably Cartography / Lockpicking / Remove Trap / Magery / Mysticism.

--
    As for thieves, off the top of my head...

A dungeon runner for chests will probably have Lockpicking / Magery and possibly Hiding / Stealth, but you don't really need detect hidden, remove trap, or stealing.

There are specific encounters (Exodus Dungeon, Khaldun) where Detect Hidden is useful, but unless you're interacting with those encounters, the skill points in other places can be a big boon to your basic dungeon lockpicker.

Unless you are really into the more thematic continuity of thieves, you don't really need remove trap for anything dungeon related.

There are specific mechanics where PvM Stealing is useful, but you may want a more combat oriented build for those. There is also PvM specific Stealing with the Smuggler's Edge item. 

PvP thieves don't exist, nor are there any thieves on Siege Perilous. Move Along.

--
    My suggestion would be to drop fishing and think of the character you listed above as a pure dungeon runner. Create a different character for fishing, and another for treasure hunting (or just use soulstones).

That would leave you:
    Hiding / Stealth
    Lockpicking / Stealing
    Magery / Eval / Med

With some gear, you should be able to get all of those to skill Max. You'd have a solid dungeon lockpicker, who could also steal from any of the chests in towns.

Good luck!

-Arroth
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,372
    edited July 17
    There is some things you can buy that are usually reasonably priced on Atlantic.  On other shards that may not be the case.  Burglars bandana and shadow dancer leggings (which you already have) will give you 30 stealth and stealing.  A crystalline ring will give you 20 magery and a wizards curio will give 10 eval intel.  The bulwark shield from the current event that is shard bound will give you 5 of each.  That’s 25 magery and 15 eval intelligence.  If you can get a Drogens spell book that has 20 magery on it.  Other less expensive books have 15 magery, but in any case you would have have the book in hand to get that benefit.  Think for lockpicking I don’t see any difference between 90 and 100 skill levels.  Not sure if you need meditation.  Think with this toon mostly you would be attacking weaker and moderately strong individual targets.  Probably would take forever to do a greater dragon without meditation.  Hope this helps if you don’t get a better answer.

Assuming chests you do will be in dungeons.  To routinely do higher level chests you dig up you need cartography, remove trap and a fully functional mage with meditation.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,612
    You have skills to start 2 or 3 templates.  Buy a soul stone or fragment and build the Crawler and have a couple of standby templates.   Find a group and someone will give you a fragment.

Have fun!
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • PriamPriam Posts: 44
    Thank you all for answers. I have a ton to learn it would seem. I want a Dungeon Rogue to steal item spawns like rares, paintings etc if that is still a thing. My current character has 110 in Magery, Eval and Med. So that's a start toward something. Thank you again for your input!
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,423
    My rogue's template looks like this:

with Dragoni's spellbook taking magery to cap and a blackthorns dress adding 10 points to stealth. 
    with that template here's the things she gets up to, besides artifact stealing
    https://youtu.be/YOrdomv8gYI?si=9MHgyj60YZvE8FzK