ICQ is finally dead

usernameusername Posts: 736
edited May 25 in General Discussions

This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
icq.png 14.2K

Comments

• NikonUSNikonUS Posts: 15
    May I ask why the Hate?? why the "finally"?
    ICQ is like UO to you??? bother you that much??

we all love ICQ. it is just a thing for us like UO.

man, you really need a break of Internet, everything is so negative.

also you DM me, saying that your account? is this real???? We all know that you will never quit, like all of us will never quit!
  • usernameusername Posts: 736
    edited May 28
    NikonUS said:
    May I ask why the Hate?? why the "finally"?
    ICQ is like UO to you??? bother you that much??

we all love ICQ. it is just a thing for us like UO.
    No, not everyone loves ICQ. ICQ is only loved by people that stubbornly stuck in their ways and refuse change, even though it inconveniences them. I'm surprised it even lasted this long. ICQ should have been dead with the release of Discord. Well, it was to everyone that wasn't stubborn. 

It's antique software owned by Russians that requires people put their phone number in and has an awful privacy policy. I stopped using it when they required phone numbers, put embedded ads and the app required access to everything on my phone to operate. At minimum, I don't think contacts on my phone liked me giving away their information for some Russian company to sell. Yea, thanks but no thanks.

I do not hate ICQ. I was an early user of ICQ in 96 and had a 6-digit #. It was good until better came along. Now there are dozens of programs that all do everything ICQ does but better with better privacy policies, better software, better support and better integration. Ever contacted ICQ customer support? Hope you speak Russian, even then, good luck getting anything done.

Currently the best offering is Discord which is way better in every aspect (not perfect). The desktop app is great, mobile app is good enough, and you can even use it app-less in a browser if you wish.

NikonUS said:
    man, you really need a break of Internet, everything is so negative.
    Perhaps you missed the point of this post: this is a celebration. I am happy. We're no longer bound by a messenger that's older than UO itself. The only part that makes me sad is that it took people being FORCED off the app because it shut down to switch to something better.

I would ask you why you love ICQ so much but it's irrelevant. It's dead very soon. PARTY!
    This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,701
    username said:

It's antique software owned by Russians that requires people put their phone number in and has an awful privacy policy. I stopped using it when they required phone numbers, put embedded ads and the app required access to everything on my phone to operate. At minimum, I don't think contacts on my phone liked me giving away their information for some Russian company to sell. Yea, thanks but no thanks.

you didn't actually have to use your phone number. there was an alternate way of getting around that.  I had to figure it out for a friend who didn't have a phone.

I only used it because of some people required it for gift trading. And a friend uses it because if I send her a message, she can hear it anywhere in the house. Then she knows she has a message from me. If only there is a way to download the sound and have it set to go off when you get a message on discord...
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,224
    username said:

If only there is a way to download the sound and have it set to go off when you get a message on discord...

Discord makes a sound when someone talks to you.  May need a louder sound.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.