"Into The Cellar"

EM ObsidianEM Obsidian Posts: 328Event Moderator

Into The Cellar

“What do you mean you are not satisfied?” Inquired Sultan Rubina, with an irritated look on his face. The hooded individual sitting across the table shook his head softly, set a lantern down on the table and replied:

“They are still down there in the tunnels. My men have seen shadows moving throughout the darkness. They have heard odd chanting echoing in the passageways. I simply cannot settle our group down there with the threat of those cultists.”

The Sultan sat back in his chair and rubbed his chin as he was pondering how to live up to his end of the deal with the cloaked figure.

“I have already asked so much of the Britannians. The people of Nujel’m; they are not equipped to deal with this threat any longer. Fortunately, we pushed them from the tunnels underneath the city proper and the slums. If what your men say is true, they are most likely over here beneath the Southern portion of the island.” Said Rubina as he pointed to a map of Nujel’m that was on the table. The cloaked figure let out a deep sigh and spoke:

“I can already see where this is going. Yes, we have the forces to drive them out. But a favor like this, well this is going to cost you.”

The Sultan raised an eyebrow as he glared at the cloaked figure sitting across the table. After taking a sip of wine from a goblet, he inquired:

“When the citizens of Britannia heeded the call for aid, I let them take some items from the Sultan of Old’s collection. There are many odd things down there. Some of them, I do not wish to even touch. But for someone like you, Moreno, you can find something of value down there in exchange?”

The cloaked figure removed his hood to reveal his smiling face. Moreno leaned forward, picked up a goblet of wine and motioned a toast to the Sultan.

“Why not? It is the least we can do for you and the people of Nujel’m!” Said Moreno as he drank his goblet of wine. After wiping his face, he continued:

“Our original agreement still stands, correct? We will take residence in the tunnels, and we are not to be disturbed by curious individuals. In turn, we will not interfere with the matters of Nujel’m and her people.”

The Sultan nodded softly as he forced a smile at Moreno. He then reached for a loaf of bread, tore off a large piece and set it down in front of him. As he was about to take a bite, the Sultan stared at the lantern that was sitting on the table in front of Moreno.

“Please, do tread carefully down there. I know of the entrance to the tunnels beneath the court… and the atrocities that took place in those cells. That is where many of the poor went, and never came back.” Said the Sultan as picked up his bread and took a bite. Moreno pondered for a few moments and as the Sultan finished chewing his bread, inquired:

“What are your plans now Rubina, with your new-found role?”

The Sultan smiled as he stood up and looked around the vast palace room the two of them were in. He then walked over to a bookshelf and glanced at the unkept selection.

“You know, I was a part of the Odello Family for quite some time. I had hoped that working for them, I would be able to find out what happened to my sister. A name, or a place, anything really. After the events of the Mazetti, Sultan Anumi in particular, the three families were thrown into chaos as Nujel’m was left leaderless for years. I would like to see the families regain their place and heritage in Nujel’m. However, it may be a bit difficult to convince them to return.” Said the Sultan as he walked back over to the table and faced Moreno. He then continued:

“I have heard of an individual who wishes to represent the Odellos. In my position of leadership, I have resigned from any involvement with their family. I only hope that someone is willing to step forward and represent the Mazetti and Trulacci families. Together, we can bring the island back to its former self.”

Moreno sat at the table in silence for several moments before nodding to the Sultan. He then stood up, drew his hood, and walked over to the Sultan. After exchanging pleasantries, Moreno exited the palace and made his way back to the streets. Waiting for him outside of the palace was a ragged-looking individual who discreetly approached and spoke:

“So, wha’d he say? ‘ell him about ‘th lantern glowing?” Inquired Musa Naciye. Moreno motioned for Musa to follow him as the two walked down the streets towards the courthouse.

“He does not need to know about the lantern, or why it was glowing down there. That is for us to find out. He is going to let us go down there, make ourselves at home, take what we like, and in the end, it looks like we are helping him!” Said Moreno as he chuckled softly. As the two approached the courthouse, they stopped to look at the guillotine that was out front.

“It is ev’n better, you have free roam ‘ere! They are fast to judge ‘ere.” Said Musa as he pointed to the lethal blade. Moreno smirked and nodded towards the building’s entrance.

“a bit ironic… we will be beneath a courthouse, gallows and cells.” Said Moreno as the two chuckled and laughed softly. Moreno then continued:

“Four families…”

https://www.facebook.com/em.obsidian 
eventmoderatorobsidian@gmail.com