Playing Ultima Online With Your AI Friend

Nails_WarsteinNails_Warstein Posts: 132
edited May 23 in General Discussions
Anyone looking forward to using AI to help you play the UO better?  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_JVxuMiMlo
  1. Will you use one of the new AIs to play UO?8 votes
    1. Yes I would like to play with a Companion.
      25.00%
    2. Maybe I'll check it out to see what it can do.
      62.50%
    3. No, it can't teach me anything I already know.
      12.50%

Comments

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,380
    Neither of the above. It's not a 'companion' it's a crutch. No matter how badly I play it's ME playing, not some blasted computer program.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,234
    Neither of the above. It's not a 'companion' it's a crutch. No matter how badly I play it's ME playing, not some blasted computer program.
    If you look at it from a new player perspective it's actually very helpful to come up to speed on how the game works; especially with UO where nothing is overly consistent.
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 665
    I voted the "I'll check it out to see what it can do" because I would want that knowledge first hand. After that I know that I wouldn't use it. I'm way too independent to become part of the borg cube. That's my opinion at this time. 
    I truly am curious what people think, good or bad, about how this will have changed us in say, 20 years or so. No spin doctor memes please.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,894
    . . . I truly am curious what people think, good or bad, about how this will have changed us in say, 20 years or so. No spin doctor memes please.
    Terminator GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,223
    edited May 23
    First tell me what % chance that UO will implement any kind of AI and then we can discuss pros and cons.

The NPC in Haven Uses Natural Intelligence instead of  Artificial Intelligence. 
    Would the dynamic quests be better with AI instead of NI?

I doubt NL has AI.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,334
    Stand-alone games like Zelda have had AI (similar) help like this since I played the legend of Zelda on my Nintendo 64 over 20 years ago.  It didn’t play the game for you, it just provided some basic information on how something worked, and maybe where to go.  Been so long, I don’t remember anymore.  Was amazed to find no in game help in UO even from the so called trainers in New Haven.  Not sure UO’s actual program would have the intelligence ( or capability) to implement in game help.  Certainly developing an AI companion would be a monumental task for anyone to undertake.  For new players it might make the difference between staying and leaving no question about that.
  • deaditedeadite Posts: 2
    If AI can help me sort through loot I'm all in.
    Seems to be working great!

• NikonUSNikonUS Posts: 15
    the sad part is that they are already using AI to make better scripts/bot for O client.
    there is many people on discords that are training GPT to make UO scripts. so if you think that scripting is bad now, just wait
    There sure is a lot of effort put into a game that has been declared dead monthly and has no players or development. 
    edited May 28
    Pawain said:
    There sure is a lot of effort put into a game that has been declared dead monthly and has no players or development. 
    How much effort is "Hey Siri (or Alexa) - write a ultima online script to collect plundering hats" ?
    keven2002 said:
    Pawain said:
    How much effort is "Hey Siri (or Alexa) - write a ultima online script to collect plundering hats" ?
    Effort to script like that.  More than most of us want to put in.  

Those programs you mentioned can't write anything.

They turn my lights on and off just fine.
    Meh - I've seen at least 3 different people now say that AI can write scripts now for UO. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

AI has come a lot further than turning your lights on or off :#
    edited May 29
    keven2002 said:
    Meh - I've seen at least 3 different people now say that AI can write scripts now for UO. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

AI has come a lot further than turning your lights on or off :#
    I assume it writes scripts for the other uo client.  CC does not have the ability to write a script like EC does.

@Arroth_Thaiel or @ForeverFun could tell us if chat GPT can write in the EC language like he can.

Yes Chat Gpt is awesome. I made a thread on stratics about how it can combine stuff from the web.  As long as the web is accurate it will be.

If someone is a teacher, it can write lesson plans and make worksheets.  Teachers should look into it.  Make slide show pictures with Dali.

AI uses the web to put things together.

Siri and Alexa are just a talking web search. They do not combine info from more than site.

edited May 30
    @keven2002 ; Nope chat GPT does not know EC or CC.  It makes scripts for a different Client add on, not one named for a star.  Its an old one thats been out for years.  It will also make scripts for a old program named for an item used to shave with.

So, I don't know what AI program they are using.  They are probably making their own scripts, why would AI make one better than an experienced programmer would make?  The programmers have their scripts ready to download.

AI can only do what a person tells it to do.  It can not make its own decisions that can make it do new things that a person did not give it access to.

AI is still in computer stage.  An object that produces a determined output based on inputs.
    In the early 80s, a co worker and I were noticing the new hospital equipment having 8080 chips in them. We came up with useless things that will incorporate a computer some day.  One was a toothbrush, the other was the gas counters they use for O2 and other gasses (so they can charge for the gas you use). They have computers in toothbrushes. They made the gas counters with computers in the late 80s.
    Well your AI player companion wont be able to cook.

I think I broke ChatGDT.

It has been trying for 15 mins now.  I used one of its prompts, so it should have worked.

• vortexvortex Posts: 206
    Yup AI still has a way to go...