"You cannot pick that up" while looting treasure chests

looploop Posts: 319
edited April 27 in Bugs
1. Dig up a chest
2. Kill guardians
3. Unlock and disarm chest
4. Open and try to loot

Frequently you get a message that you cannot pick an item up. You have to move around a little bit until you can loot things.

Comments

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,327
    You often have to be right on top of the chest to loot it and sometimes on the other side.  Most common if vegetation or something you dropped is right next to the chest.  Also, sometimes when you to loot something it gets trapped in your hand.  You and UO can’t see it but UO knows it there and will just keep repeating that you can’t pick it up message.  In a dungeon, it won’t let you get out.  When the message keeps repeating or you get trapped in dungeon, you have to log out and hen log back in so UO can resolve the issue.  Sounds like your issue is the first case in which there is something between you and the chest or you are just too far away.
  • looploop Posts: 319
    There isn’t anything between me and the treasure chest. I can get the warning, move a step back and be allowed to loot something, and then move to the same spot and loot something.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,046
    Arnold7 said:
    You often have to be right on top of the chest to loot it and sometimes on the other side.  Most common if vegetation or something you dropped is right next to the chest.  Also, sometimes when you to loot something it gets trapped in your hand.  You and UO can’t see it but UO knows it there and will just keep repeating that you can’t pick it up message.  In a dungeon, it won’t let you get out.  When the message keeps repeating or you get trapped in dungeon, you have to log out and hen log back in so UO can resolve the issue.  Sounds like your issue is the first case in which there is something between you and the chest or you are just too far away.
    It's something to do with being threatened not anything in the way
    edited April 28
    Usually there is nothing else alive on screen when this happens with treasure chests.  But often I can see the vegetation in the first case.  In the dungeon case it’s a bug that results from picking something up and messing up the mouse somehow.  Usually my finger slips off the mouse while starting to drag something out of a dead monsters backpack.  It happens with chests sometimes too.  It happens in a fraction of a second.  I can recognize when it happens now and just log off when the message confirms it.  Thing is in the second case you don’t see what’s in your hand.

Loop don’t usually encounter your situation.  Most of time I have to try and move closer or to a different location that allows me to get closer.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,269
    It all depends on how the chest is setting compared to you, kind of a x/y/z thing and you have to move around until you can reach into it.  Been this way forever.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,806
    For the issue of something getting stuck in your hands there is no need to log out in the EC to get it unstuck. You can use the "Drop what you are currently holding" macro action to get it unstuck.
    Looks like an action in EC.  Thanks Tim will set that up. That will beat logging out and in any day.