Why are there 8 EM Events on Easter this year?

I realize not everyone observes these holidays, but I appreciate that UO has at least for the last 25 years respected Christmas and Easter.  Something went wrong this year.  As someone who likes to attend these events, I am disappointed that I won't make them.  My faith and family are more important on that day, so I wish everyone else a Happy Easter playing Ultima Online!  

Tagged:

Comments

• LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 786
    edited March 29
    8 different shard have EM events scheduled for Easter? Is that supposed to be a link to click where it says View All 8 Events? Doesn't seem to do anything. But anyway, it does seem odd to have a bunch of EM events on that day. I guess it wouldn't be that big a deal if it's not a drop event.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 209
    edited March 29
    +1 on the concern that so many events are being held on a major holiday.  I get it that it's the usual end of the month rush of EM events for shards that haven't had drops yet and Easter was very early this year, but seems excessive that there would be 8 on any single day. 
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,029
    They should all be at same time same day everytime 
    Grimbeard said:
    Come on! You can do better! You can think of an even worse idea than this if you try hard enough. :D

LilyGrace said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Come on! You can do better! You can think of an even worse idea than this if you try hard enough. :D

Only off shard vampire grave robbers would think it's a bad idea 
    Try again McDougle. I can still count on one hand the number of times I’ve taken part in an EM event. I won one drop ever, a dayglow dolphin plushy that I gave to a friend that didn’t get the drop. 

But I know a lot of players like to shard hop and attend many of the events. Why would I want to screw that up for them?
    LilyGrace said:
    Try again McDougle. I can still count on one hand the number of times I’ve taken part in an EM event. I won one drop ever, a dayglow dolphin plushy that I gave to a friend that didn’t get the drop. 

But I know a lot of players like to shard hop and attend many of the events. Why would I want to screw that up for them?
    Well let's use that time on Origin when the actual players that live there wanted start times to be XXX so off shard vampires came forced a vote so they wouldn't miss on other events that would have been held at same time as the Origin citizens wanted. So are events for the people who actually play and live on a shard or for off shard businessmen? 
    Your idea is a bad one that would make more players unhappy than happy. There are many players who keep track of the events, when the drops will be and they keep the special items for themselves because they love to collect them. 

Still others, like my husband who has such a busy schedule and can’t attend EM events that conflict with that schedule, look for events that will take place, regardless of which shard, when he doesn’t have to get up at 4AM the following morning. 

My understanding is you’re guaranteed a drop if you attend the events often enough. So go and get your guaranteed drop and quit trying to spoil the fun people who love EM events have. What do you care if someone sells the EM drop?
  • RinerRiner Posts: 366
    edited March 30
    I agree with @Grimbeard on this one if there were more overlapping EM events it would reduce lag caused by armies of bots showing up to off shard events. The only adjustment I would make to those times would be for regional shard differences. Asian, European, and North American shards could each have there own time frames. This would relive a long standing complaint of lag. This would also allow for people to attend more than one EM event and to have options for busier schedules.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 209
    edited March 30
    Bots are going to show up regardless of how many events there are and at what times.  This proposed change (from a troll) will create yet another situation where a change ends up helping bots and hurting actual players.
    Merlin said:
    Bots are going to show up regardless of how many events there are and at what times.  This proposed change (from a troll) will create yet another situation where a change ends up helping bots and hurting actual players.
    I have an honest opinion however unpopular that doesn't make me a troll 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,254
    edited March 30
    Merlin said:
    And how are bots going to be on multiple shards at the same time?  How many accounts would it take to run say 8 EM events at the same time to get most of the drops in all the events.  How many people do you think that have 50+ paid accounts to do this.  @Grimbeard has a very good idea that lets more honest players have a chance.  Right now it is the BOTs that have the better chance not the honest player.  You must be for the BOTs.  How about you show us you computer system that can control all those BOTs on 8 different shard all at the same time.
  • quickbladequickblade Posts: 303
    I agree that having the em events drops happen at the same time would fix alot of this bots lag, while rewarding the players that actually play the said shard
  • Nails_WarsteinNails_Warstein Posts: 129
    edited March 30
    As someone who attends these events using the Enhanced Client, I know how horrible the lag is.  I have to manually use more accounts at these events to hope for an item.  As a rare collector, yes I rather get the item myself to save myself the gold, and if I get something I don't want, I trade it or sell it for something I do want.  I rarely sell the rare items I collect for my personal collection.

However if anyone believes for a second that the players using bot accounts, won't just open up more accounts using cheap gold to buy cheap gametime codes, you are all dreaming.  These guys don't care.  Do you think they just bot events?  They bot everything, and sell everything.  They will make more armies.  Besides, EMs have had events at the same time, and these guys just log their characters out at the boss areas, and can be at both if the bosses aren't at the same exact time. Then players like me, like Merlin, like yourselves will be no better then where we are.  

The real solution is dealing with third party programs, and developing a detection system that catches these guys spamming special moves and spells.  If they can do that, they will be gone, and good riddance to them.

But back to the topic that has been hijacked.  I wish everyone a very Happy Easter with their God, with their families and with their computers playing UO!
  • WhitewolfWhitewolf Posts: 191
    its really a simple solution, course they will never go for it, they will loose to much money in transfer tokens, but just make the EM drops shard bound, bots are backed by greed, take that away and well no more bots, well alot less anyway.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,843
    Grimbeard said:
    Merlin said:
    Own that crap bro. wear it with pride like I do. #Trolllife
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Grimbeard said:
    Merlin said:
    I own it with pride when I'm trolling but this not the case here
  • RinerRiner Posts: 366
    Whitewolf said:
    its really a simple solution, course they will never go for it, they will loose to much money in transfer tokens, but just make the EM drops shard bound, bots are backed by greed, take that away and well no more bots, well alot less anyway.

Can't say this is a bad idea either. I'm tried of fighting lag with 200 toons who come out of the woodwork for every EM drop night. Oddly enough, the worst lag also always hits just as the boss spawns. I understand that there are some rare collectors who strive to get these items for themselves but it's past time that steps where taken to enhance the playability of EM events for the majority of the population. It's funny how the first claim always is how the population will drop and everyone will disappear if they fix this or that, honestly implementing fixes which make things more enjoy for the masses will increase players.

So, what y'all are sayin is, There's plenty to do today in UO if you get a little time between family and celebrations. Awesome, i'm all for it.

edited March 31
    Grimbeard said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Merlin said:
    I own it with pride when I'm trolling but this not the case here
    Never said you were Trolling, just ignore him and quit letting trivial things and people bother you. I promise you life is much better when you don't let the little stuff get you. And as the saying goes, It's all little "stuff"

• HelenaHelena Posts: 1
    Smoot said:
    Helena said:
    @ Nails_Warstein

Europa is not an American shard neither is Formosa or Arirang so to expect they follow the American calendar system for holidays is rather self absorbed. Some European countries follow different schedules such as orthodox Easter falling on May 5th but you as a religious man should know this. 

In the spirit of the holiday this post shouldn’t have even been started as its only purpose was to agitate fellow Americans over shards that isn’t American. 

Not to mention your op was making a fuss because ur faith would prevent u from logging in but everyone of your characters were at the Europa event nails and u don’t attend Asian shards. 

Easter isnt an american holiday tho, its a worldwide religious holiday.  Formosa (Tawain) i can see the argument, because only 6% christian.   But usa, europe, and Arirang (south korea) all have about the same christian population, all around 60%

i agree, no one is forced to attend the events, i would say that it would be nice to have a holiday event on the actual holiday for those without plans (like me cause i was stuck at home with Covid) but none of events had anything to do with easter or even spring.   still something to do i guess but not very festive.
    I know much of the world celebrates Easter but my original argument was that not all places or faith celebrate Easter in the same way or on the same day. So to expect all EMs to conform to a religious holiday is excessive. 

Observing the nature of a religious holiday we should not be complaining but rather giving thanks and forgiveness. Greed and envy shouldn’t be what is put forward especially when the premise of what the OP was referring to is centered around ideology that focuses on staying away from such things. These EMs are not brought on to cater to any group other than their own shard.

hope you recover well from Covid, and it’s not too late for smoot to host the Atlantic Easter scavenger hunt of 2024! My votes in.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    Some personal attacks have been removed.
This discussion has been closed.