resisting spells thoughts

it would be nice if 120 resisting acted like protection at times lowering the chance of your casting being disrupted

Comments

• AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 243
    Isn't that why you have casting focus?
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    I could rework all my suits to add as much casting focus as possible but as it is I have 120 resistance on multiple characters and for all intents and purposes it's useless 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    Grimbeard said:
    I could rework all my suits to add as much casting focus as possible but as it is I have 120 resistance on multiple characters and for all intents and purposes it's useless 
    Disagree - 120 resist gives you protection from debuff spells (curse/weaken/clumsy/feeblemind/bloodoath/etc) as well as giving you a good chance at not being poisoned via magic and finally resisting the paralyze spell.

I have 120 resist on my sampire and 0 resist on my archer. There is a huge difference.
  • BenBen Posts: 208
    I have 120 resist on all my combative characters. I have tried it both ways over the years, wanting to free up those precious skill points. I resigned myself to the fact I can not leave home without it. I hardly even notice anymore the message, "You feel yourself resisting.." 
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    not a fan of that.. I'm also not a fan of casting focus... at least not in pvp.

I do feel like (and I've posted it before) Casting Focus, should spawn in increments of 5-25% (like LRC, as well as the cap 12% be increased to 100%)  But, should only work against NPC sourced damage.  and that would be a way to make casters more balanced with dexers & sampires in pvm.

Spell interruption is literally the only thing that gives non-casters a chance in pvp, and parry the way it is works against that, as does casting focus to a lesser extent.

Now, if casting focus or this 'effect' to resisting spells was a pvm-only thing, I could see it working.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    CovenantX said:
    not a fan of that.. I'm also not a fan of casting focus... at least not in pvp.

I do feel like (and I've posted it before) Casting Focus, should spawn in increments of 5-25% (like LRC, as well as the cap 12% be increased to 100%)  But, should only work against NPC sourced damage.  and that would be a way to make casters more balanced with dexers & sampires in pvm.

Spell interruption is literally the only thing that gives non-casters a chance in pvp, and parry the way it is works against that, as does casting focus to a lesser extent.

Now, if casting focus or this 'effect' to resisting spells was a pvm-only thing, I could see it working.

I like the casting focus idea for PvM... I think all the time when I'm fighting lichs or other spellcasters that they should fizzle when I'm hitting them... if they can cast through being hit by me then I think I should be able to cast through them hitting me!
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,799
    If I am going to battle something that will remove my mana or paralyzes me a lot then I stone on Resisting Spells.  Otherwise I stone on Mysticism and use Cleansing Winds instead of apples.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,026
    At 120 I am still poisoned cursed etc yes for 5 seconds rather than 10 but you would think that you might actually you know resist sometimes. What about 2%casting focus for every 5 or 10 points of real skill (pvm only)
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    edited March 20
    resisting spells reduces the amount of stats you lose from curse (not many npc's cast curse), feeble, weakness & clumsy as well as reduces the duration of debuffs.  you become immune to paralyze (spell) from anything with equal or less eval-int vs your resisting spells skill as well.    almost complete immunity to mana vampire with resist = to casters eval-int as well...   Mana drain is reduced in the amount of mana taken, all of which is returned after a few seconds.

poison (spell only, not on-hit-effects) = magery vs resist though I don't think there's ever a 100% chance to resist poison regardless of how high your resist skill is vs caster's magery.

I'd be for it, if it were a pvm-only thing...  which as I said earlier in the thread, casting focus in general should be pvm only....  pvp has more than enough RNG without that kinda garbage interfering.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 527
    edited March 22
    Inscription gives +1% innate Casting Focus (stacks with CF on gear) per 20.0 skill points, so GM Inscrip gives +5% Casting Focus, which stacks with the 12% CF cap on gear for a total of 17% CF chance.
    GM Inscrip also gives an innate +10% Spell Damage to Magery spells (which stacks with the PvP SDI Cap). It also bolsters defensive spells like Protection (reduces the negatives to Phys Res and Resist skill), Reactive Armor (boosts the +Phys Res, while reducing the negatives to elemental resists), and Magic Reflection (boosts the elemental Resists, reduces the negative to Phys Res, and boosts the reflection pool). 120 Magery/GM Inscrip/110+ Resist is enough to reflect even a single Flamestrike with Magic Reflection.

keven2002 said:
    I like the casting focus idea for PvM... I think all the time when I'm fighting lichs or other spellcasters that they should fizzle when I'm hitting them... if they can cast through being hit by me then I think I should be able to cast through them hitting me!
    Honestly though, Liches of all creatures should be able to continue casting even when being hit. Not only is magic infused into the very fiber of their being (making drawing upon magic as easy for them as drawing breath for the living), but they're also undead, so have the undead fortitude to not feel pain and therefore not flinch or lose concentration while casting.
    Inscription gives +1% innate Casting Focus (stacks with CF on gear) per 20.0 skill points, so GM Inscrip gives +5% Casting Focus, which stacks with the 12% CF cap on gear for a total of 17% CF chance.

Is there anyway to see the current CF on a suit aside from counting it on pieces or a mannequin? I'd be curious if that +5 CF from 100 inscription actually would stack (I'm not sure how that would be tested - with SDI you can tell the damage increases but with CF being 12 vs 17 idk if you could differentiate as much).

For PvM - I think a max SDI/CF suit would be something cool to work towards if they would raise the cap to 25% and allow +5 from scribe for a total of 30% (also add it it to Char status bar)
  • Nox Mages with GM Inscription used to be quite nasty in Mage duels. Between the higher spell damage, +5% CF, ability to reflect spells with Magic Reflection, ability to basically ignore the Poison of non-Nox Mages, and ability to interrupt healing a ton with Poison (DP-Lethal for Nox Mages), they were a menace.