High Seas not so Swashbuckle-y Content

LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 786
edited March 3 in General Discussions
As usual I lost track of time and missed the Meet & Greet. And I had my questions so nicely and neatly written out next to me too! As usual my questions were with regard to High Seas stuff. I was going to try to sneak in 3.

1. Will we ever have large container ship's hold using CC?

2. Might we ever see an item added that would turn cotton and wool into bolts of cloth while at sea? A sailcloth loom? I dunno! Can I get a heckler? Check out this crazy sails making process in this old film below.

3. Would it be possible to add Granite as loot found on merchant and orc ships? Granite seems ridiculously hard to find for sale. When I do find it, it's not the quantity I need, the color I want, or at a price I can afford.  I want to get in the game and craft.  I do not have the time or desire to devote to hours and hours to mining. If you can't find it for sale then what? Why can we loot, ingots, ore, wood and supplies for making cloth but we stopped at being able to find granite?

Maybe I'll get to the next M&G on time and can ask the above.  I was unceremoniously booted out after logging in to Blackthorn's castle late, don't you know? I was whisked away to Minoc, landing in a heap in front of the miner's guild hall, and without my pants. 

Anywho, I do think about the High Seas stuff a lot. And I've never totally given up on the idea some content could come along that would have UO's High Seas adventures feeling like a much more immersive, much more swashbuckling pirate story.

I'm not saying I haven't enjoyed the beacons but why was swordplay left in the dust and range weapons, pets and magic spells made the whole focus for fighting at sea? Why am I not having a wicked sword fight with dread pirates instead of an all day stand off that leaves you needing to employ pets, a Colossus, and a bow.  I realize I can take the dreads health down, switching over to grapeshot but man that's cumbersome and takes forever.

Anyway, back to the beacons...Seems like the mechanics where already right there for pirates to fight to take out a beacon.  Why not scuttle the beacons the way we scuttle a ship?

First you take out the beacon with your cannon and range fighting, only then can you board, using the platform's moor lines. There's a clash of swords! You dispatch the orcs with your cutlasses, daggers and rapiers! When the last orc drops you get the mythical crate drop and find a container or two on the the platform to loot. There could be an opportunity to add rare recipes for weapons, clothing, armor that goes with a high seas or pirate theme.

Maybe something entirely new that spawns as merchant ships and beacons do, coming and going in the waters, could be added. Maybe the mobs could be more like pirates you see at Bucs and on the docks.

Honestly, I have to believe almost everyone, when they first found out how to take out a beacon, was totally bummed when they found out they couldn't board the platform. I don't know that we'll ever have blunderbuss pistols as added swashbuckling content but I wish something that calls for effective swordplay to be used could be added to UO High Seas. 

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this.

Comments

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,687
    you can get granite from doing trade runs for the minister of trade. I usually get about 52 each time that i get it. they are usually colored too
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 786
    edited March 3
    Omg, Cin! That’s even worse! Lol! I do think trade runs are fun but the rewards are so random and to come up with a large amount of a particular color of granite would take forever. Maybe if the rewards for trade runs were determined from a menu of choices, you could accumulate what you need for a large project in a timely fashion. Otherwise I’m guessing mining would be faster. 

I’m talking about if you’re looking to do a large project, covering large areas of floor with pavers and building walls for the castle and keep designs that have large open floor plans. That’s a lot of granite. I’m just wondering why it’s an odd request to find this resource out at sea when we can already find other resources that allow us to skip mining and lumberjacking to get what we need. 
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    I believe, if I've ready the info in the newsletter correctly, there will be the opportunity for swordplay in the event:
    Take part in a hunt for the most prized possession of some of Britannia's most notorious pirates- their hats!  Battle pirates and plunderbeacons, ransack ship cargo, dig up treasure chests, fish up treasures from the deep, and try your mettle against a pirate brawl as you collect pirate hats to turn in for treasures!

I've bolded the part I'm referring to.

As regards granite, the easiest way to get a significant amount is by using a rock hammer (bod reward or from Ultima Store) If you want coloured granite pair this with a map from Vela, or again, a bod reward, Claim the map in Felucca and mine in Fel to get double resource.

Thanks for the reminder on the newsletter, Petra. That does sound promising! I’ll look into the map from Vella thing. I’ve never heard of it before, thanks. 
    Thanks for the link, Petra! When I mine I do always go to Fel. Well, I make the rounds between locations in Felucca, Trammel and Ilshenar, usually I'm looking for niter.

So fill bods, collect rock hammers, fight in the void pool to collect points, turn the points in to get a map from Vela that will tell me where to find granite, then go mine for the color I want? I have to admit I don't quite understand how this works. I've never done it. But when I look on the webpage I don't see Shadow granite offered at all anyway. 

I'll have to stand accused of looking for an easy button I guess. Or maybe I'm just looking for the button that allows me to go take part in game content I really enjoy. :-)  I want to go sailing, scuttle orc and merchant ships and loot granite off of them. That's how I'd like to have fun while trying to collect 1000 pieces of shadow granite.

In the same way I can loot boatloads of ore and ingots and wood and leather and cotton and wool, I'd like to loot granite. This is the part I really don't get. Why can we spend our playtime sailing and fighting on the high seas to collect all the other resources, and that's all good, but we can't collect granite? It doesn't make sense to me.