Interview with EM Nihil!

This week I had the pleasure of interviewing EM Nihil of the Balhae shard! Here are their responses;

1.    What made you decide to start EMing?

I like doing quests not only UO but also in various games. When I participated in the EM event first, I felt that EM events are a quest we can interact with characters in real-time and I soon got interested in EM program. So, I joined the program and here I am.

2.    What is your favorite part about EMing?

The funniest thing in EMing is to create your own story. Sometimes I worry my lack of knowledge and creativity could ruin Ultima universe so I keep trying to learn about it when I have time to spare.

3.    What is your favorite memory thus far of EMing?

When I tried to use the champion system, it failed me. I think that happened when my fifth event after I got assigned to Balhae Shard. It terrified me and I was in a panic. Sometimes unexpected system failure happens no matter how hard we try to prevent it. It sounds like a nightmare to EM than a favorite moment but it gave me a huge impression because I was also surprised that the players gave me generous words and understood the situation. It was touching and I could move on to find a solution.

4.    What is your most memorable moment playing UO?

There are many memorable moments in UO. But I’d like to share what I found recently. I found a book that anyone can write in Court of Truth. I could find some footage of old players and I could recognize some of them. They are no longer here but it gave me nostalgia for the old days and reminded them once again. It tells me that UO is alive that connects people and we’re making history of it.

5.    What is your favorite thing to do in UO?

Like I said before, I loved to play quests. It helps me to understand UO. When there was no quest system, I used to collect books and seek things that explain the history of Sosaria, people, and places. Like the statues with names on them in Wisp dungeon. It tells you there is history in them and I start wondering who are they and what’s their story. I like these things. I also like to solve puzzles and find gimmicks in various places more than other activities.

6.    Is there a specific event that you've done that is your favorite? What is it?

It’s hard to pick just one but recently I finished a long story events called the SECRET. Ultima starts with the Lord British who across the universe from Earth to Sosaria. But what if there are others more dark, dangerous, and supernatural across the universe? This series was created from that question. It’s also to support background for future events to come.

7.    Was a drop you made that you favorite most out of all of them thus far? What is it?

Mysterious haunted cat painting in October 2022. Most of my events are story first and then find a reward fit to the story. But this one was the opposite. I liked that art so I set my reward first and created a story later. Still love the artwork, hue, and sound.

8.    Is there a specific story that comes to mind about UO that has stuck with you to date?

I had a friend hang out with me for many years. Although he and I were quite different as I used to play solo and he was kind of a party starter. But somehow, we hung out quite long and had fun together. He left UO for real-life issues and passed away because of a heart attack a few years ago. I still miss those days.

9.    Do you have any words of wisdom for the players out there? New and Old?

I don’t know if I can give any words of wisdom to the players but I’d like to share my experience if I may. UO is very different from other games. The game system only supports you to achieve your goal, not guide you to what the designer wants to be so you have to find your own goal and way. I believe it’s the key to enjoying UO. Another key to enjoying UO is to keep communicating with people. Most of the good memories came from them when I remember what’s the best part of playing not just UO but also other MMOs as well.

10. Is there anything else you'd like to add to the players out there?

EMs are doing their best to make good events. Of course, we aren’t perfect and sometimes we make mistakes. To make better events and correct our mistakes, communication is the key. We don’t know what you’re going through if you don’t talk. We can’t help with something beyond our capabilities like bugs or rules but we could find alternatives. It requires communication to determine whether we can or can’t first. I was bad at making balanced monsters back then but I’m getting better now, I believe. It’s because of people who gave me feedback. I appreciate them and I’m hoping to make more good events by communicating with people more.

Ultima Online Twitter/X - https://twitter.com/UOTownCryer
Ultima Online Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/uotowncryer/
Ultima Online Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/uofenneko
E-mail: uo.fenneko@gmail.com