Endless Journey and new players - feedback and thoughts

2»

Comments

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,830
    edited June 2018
    MissE said:
    Can't believe EJ accounts can't use crystal or corrupted portals.  If  you want people to be able to 'experience' what UO has to offer you have to let them get around.   Is this intended? @ Kyronix

You actually can use them on an EJ account, you just cannot get the gump. if you say "Luna Mint"  next to a public crystal portal, your EJ character will teleport to Luna mint. I think the unintended part of it is that the EJ can't bring up the gump to see where to actually go . . .
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• MissEMissE Posts: 776
    MissE said:
    Can't believe EJ accounts can't use crystal or corrupted portals.  If  you want people to be able to 'experience' what UO has to offer you have to let them get around.   Is this intended? @ Kyronix

You actually can use them on an EJ account, you just cannot get the gump. if you say "Luna Mint"  next to a public crystal portal, your EJ character will teleport to Luna mint. I think the unintended part of it is that the EJ can't bring up the gump to see where to actually go . . .
    Well that is helpful......... NOT, I have been playing 14 odd years and even I can't remember the names of everywhere. 

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
  • TrevelyanTrevelyan Posts: 21
    edited June 2018
    Pawain said:

Another poster said the wand will come tomorrow.  Dont fill the bank.  They made that mistake.  The wand made it overflow.

Oh god, that sounds terrible.. like ASAP fixingly so! 

As for customers submitting bug reports, its something I always find a bit weird; especially if someone from support has already acknowledged the issue (and is likely better at writing a report themselves).

However - in the case of a non-customer (IE an EJ player, so maybe a non-paying customer), there is the danger that they will just table-flip and log off. Its far easier to do that when you haven't had to cough up money, than to sit and write up some bug report to CS which may or may not ever have a response acknowledged. Many returning players won't have time for that, let alone a new player who is trying to learn the game..
  • TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    Some of these modern conveniences have not even been around for long, and yet people treat them as though they are an absolute MUST. They are not. I remember when a new account had absolutely ZERO ability to ride any sort of ethy, or use any vet dye tub, etc, until they were at least a year old. Did this make UO unplayable?

I am not advocating that UO return to those rules, just pointing out that taking an extra minute to run to a spot in Eodon instead of using the crystal is not game-ending. ALL games (especially any sort of F2P model), without exception, have rules that make life easier the more money and/or time people are willing to invest in that particular game. It is just reality. UO overall is not particularly user friendly and it is not designed for a lazy gamer - and Siege especially so. If they do not have the patience to make it past a few inconveniences or bugs at the beginning, then they just will not enjoy UO in the long term no matter how much we try to coddle them. I work very hard to help new players, so I am not being harsh here. Just practical.

EJ is very restrictive when it comes to crafting, housing, and storage, (there does need to be incentive to subscribe, after all) but otherwise they have almost complete free reign over the entire game. They just have to work harder. Because they are enjoying it for FREE.

EJ has bugs (UO + new = buggy) but these can be fixed. I also think that, if asked for in a civilized manner, some EJ restrictions can be loosened up over time. Voicing concerns is important, because silence rarely gets things changed. But there are constructive ways to do so.
    MissE said:
    MissE said:

Well that is helpful......... NOT, I have been playing 14 odd years and even I can't remember the names of everywhere. 
    it actually is helpful, at least people know that it can be used on the EJ, now we just need @Bleak and @Kyronix to let us know if they shouldn't be able to use them at all or if they plan to make it where EJ accounts will be allowed to bring up the gump to see a list of available locations. if they have no plans of changing it, i'll work on a list and see about putting it on the WIKI and the other site a lot of us use.

MissE said:
    MissE said:

it actually is helpful, at least people know that it can be used on the EJ, now we just need @ Bleak and @ Kyronix to let us know if they shouldn't be able to use them at all or if they plan to make it where EJ accounts will be allowed to bring up the gump to see a list of available locations. if they have no plans of changing it, i'll work on a list and see about putting it on the WIKI and the other site a lot of us use.
    I didn't mean the fact you advised you can use them without the gump wasn't helpful, it was, my comment was about the fact you couldn't get the gump lol.  A new or returning player isn't going to even KNOW what to say in front of one of em , they can stand in front screaming Luna Bank or Jhelom Bank all they want and never know they should be screaming Mint.  Why that word was ever used is beyond my comprehension. 

Cheers MissE

• jaytinjaytin Posts: 417
    I was thinking the same thing, I wouldn't know what to say if the gump wasn't there and I've played on and off for years! Too many people see everything from the point of view of being around UO forever, it's not so easy when you don't know anything.
    So I looked at the official wiki and found a small thing about it at this page
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/beginning-the-adventure/movement-and-travel/  So it looks to be working as intended, but is woefully inadequate in its information for a new player. I’m going to try and write something up this weekend to enhance it. 

I am not a coder, and I don't mean to imply anything our Devs do to UO's spaghetti code is in any way easy, but it is possible that no item in particular was thought about and intentionally excluded. Far more likely, imo, that a relatively simple code to restrict ALL house items (particularly containers) that requires clicking on it to use it. Exceptions were added in for house vault and vet craft stations (and the ale table lol, but I suspect that accidentally fell into a vet station category). The verbal use of the crystal portals seems to confirm this theory.

However, I think if enough people ask for certain house functions to be available to EJ, our Devs can add more exceptions. (Public transport items, Bulletin boards, books, luck statue, dye tubs, etc.) They are a little busy atm tho... @Kyronix is there any way we could get a little nod of "maybe" or "never gonna happen"?

Thank you @Victim_Of_Siege for looking into expanding the wiki info on the portal destinations :)
    edited June 2018
    Here is my list of commands for the Crystal Portal, and Corrupted Crystal Portal. let me know what i missed. i spent a couple of hours going over it and testing them, so hopefully there aren't any. (i know better but wanted to sound hopeful)

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    I'm guessing you want me to add these to the page?  I'll also include Dungeon Blackthorn
    edited June 2018
    Mariah said:
    I'm guessing you want me to add these to the page?  I'll also include Dungeon Blackthorn

if you would, and add a line that says " If the destination is in Felucca, precede the phrase with Fel "

and if you would prefer it i can send you the excel file

Thanks for this :)

Trinsic and Jhelom moongate is listed twice, and of course Siege has oddities if you want to include those. Very nicely done!
    Actually, nice as the table is, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be less confusing to use the instructions as they appear in game, taken from the cliloc.enu file?
    it may be. it wouldn't hurt to look at it.

i looked in the Cliloc and it probably would be less confusing.

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,047
    i looked in the Cliloc and it probably would be less confusing.

Thanks, I printed nicely and I did not know you can go to so many places.   :)
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Looks Awesome @Mariah
    Link

I don't even know what page in the wiki this is on, when you search 'portal destinations' you get 'nothing found'.  I looked under 'gameplay' but didnt' see anything likely. I searched for portal and moongate.    Anyone wanna give a link?

Cheers MissE

It's the same page i had a link to (Tanager's as well)  it used to have a couple of lines at the bottom that had only a couple of examples of towns and moongates, just to give you the format.  what is at the bottom now is from the Cliloc.enu file that is what the portals give you in game with all the destinations.

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/beginning-the-adventure/movement-and-travel/

below is @Mariah changed it to, as i said before, it was very short and had only a couple of examples.

The crystal portal

For Trammel ruleset, say the city’s name followed by “mint” (e.g. “minoc mint”). For a moongate, say the gate’s name and “moongate” (eg. “minoc moongate”).

For Felucca, say “fel” then same rules as above. So “fel minoc mint” or “fel minoc moongate”.

City Names:
    britain, bucs, cove, delucia, haven, jhelom, magincia, minoc, moonglow, nujelm, ocllo, papua, serpent, skara, trinsic, vesper, wind, yew, luna, umbra, zento, termur, ilshenar

Moongate Names:
    moonglow, britain, jhelom, yew, minoc, trinsic, skara, magincia, haven, bucs, vesper, compassion, honesty, honor, humility, justice, sacrifice, spirituality, valor, chaos,

The corrupted portal

For Trammel ruleset, say “dungeon” followed by the name of the dungeon (e.g. “dungeon shame”). For Felucca, say “fel” then same rules as above. So “fel dungeon shame”.

Dungeon Names:
    covetous, deceit, despise, destard, ice, fire, hythloth, orc, shame, wrong, wind, doom, citadel, fandancer, mines, bedlam, labyrinth, underworld, abyss, grove, caves, palace, prism, blackthorn

The same teleportation rules apply regarding criminal flagging, weight, etc as for recall, gate or sacred journey. As above, your character can only travel to locations to which your account has access.

MissE said:
    I don't even know what page in the wiki this is on, when you search 'portal destinations' you get 'nothing found'.  I looked under 'gameplay' but didnt' see anything likely. I searched for portal and moongate.    Anyone wanna give a link?
    You are right in saying 'portal destinations' will find nothing. The word 'destinations' has not been used in the text. Searching for 'crystal portal' or even simply 'portal' will find the reference.
    the path to it from the main Wiki page is:

Beginning the Adventure-->Movement and Travel

My thoughts on storage are that we should give them an option for more storage in a bank, like the vault they have mentioned. another idea would be to return the old gold security boxes we had in homes prior to customisable housing.  Give them 1 container in a friends home and make it something like 25-50 items with a low weight limit 20k-30k stone weight. this would give them the ability to test stuff out and  hold resources for training.  maybe do an either or situation as well. if they have the vault, then no house storage and vice versa. 

• DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    If you want to see real feedback head over to the UO reddit. 

Plenty of people there with questions and looking for help.

The thread "ended journey" is particularly worth a read.