Interview with EM Ashmedai!

Community ManagerCommunity Manager Posts: 139Dev
edited December 2023 in General Discussions

I had the pleasure of interviewing EM Ashmedai of the Pacific shard this week. Here is what they had to say;

1: What made you start EMing?

As a new player I mistakenly found myself entangled within the action of an ongoing EM Event. I had no idea of the concept but immediately fell in love. We were deep within the depths of a dungeon and these grotesque zombies could be seen chasing players to their demise. I remember my adrenaline beginning to rise as I failed continually to cast a night sight. The illumination of a simple spell created a new world for me; I could see decorations I have never seen before, monsters of different color and name, and a yellow-named NPC interacting with myself and others. UO is quite unique in that an active story can be told, and then influenced live through the roleplaying of players. The ability to write something through imagination, and then create it was always an appealing aspect for an aspiring writer.  The moment I turned 18 I immediately emailed Mesanna to apply for an EM position. It took a year for a spot to open up before I would be granted my opportunity. At the age of 27, and after 8 years of EMing, I still find new ways of telling a story that reminds me of what I enjoyed so long ago as I attended my first EM event.

2: What is your favorite part about EMing? 

The creative freedom to write and tell a story unique to that of its creator. I can be watching a movie, reading a book, or playing UO when an idea, inspired by something observed, can ignite and build upon itself. 

3: What is your favorite memory thus far of EMing? 

Can there be a favorite? *smiles* One of my favorite memories of being an EM would be having a partner EM on another server. EM Vereor and myself were joint EM’s briefly for the Origin server. We identified our strengths and weaknesses and worked to compliment each other in our stories and our events. 

4: What is your favorite thing to do in UO?

As a player I enjoy decorating and hosting player events on my home server. The community of UO has always had my heart, and I authentically enjoy being part of this community, both as an EM and a player. 

5: Is there a specific event that you’ve done that is your favorite? What is it?

The Ashmedai story arc is by far my absolute favorite. Each year on the anniversary of me being an EM, I add to the story of the uprising of Ashmedai from perdition. Each year I add a little part to the scene: Ashmedai’s demonic resting place. I like to explore the unknown in my writing and it has always fascinated me that in the years I am no longer EM, Ashmedai’s demonic tomb shall rest for eternity as his demonic soul slumbers.

6: What was the drop you made that you favorite most out of all of them thus far? What is it?

There is a necklace and ring duo that I made that holds some sentimental value. It was a symbolic gesture in the writing to reflect the love I hold for my relationship with my partner. We both write as a hobby and I wanted to immortalize our relationship by preserving our story within a virtual setting.

7: Do you have any words of wisdom for the players out there? New and Old?

Sosaria is a big world with rich history and lore. Giving yourselves to the world of UO and Sosaria will give in return many adventures, many memories, and friendships that will last through time.

Ultima Online Twitter/X - https://twitter.com/UOTownCryer
Ultima Online Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/uotowncryer/
Ultima Online Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/uofenneko
E-mail: uo.fenneko@gmail.com