Interview with EM Roenick!

This week I had the pleasure of interviewing Lake Austins EM Roenick!

1. What made you decide to start EMing?
I've always been fascinated by what the EMs do behind the scenes in the game. It's like they're the directors of our adventures, playing different characters and creating awesome monsters for us to face. And, of course, there's that thrilling moment when something big is about to happen—the boss!! And let’s not forget the drop!!

2. What is your favorite part about EMing?
The most enjoyable aspect of being an EM is crafting monster names that seamlessly blend creativity and humor into the storyline, bringing laughter to players when they encounter the likes of Snickerdoodlephant charging towards them. In the midst of the party, the announcement echoes: "[Player Name] was killed by Snickerdoodlephant!"

3. What is your favorite memory thus far of EMing?
One cherished memory for me is the annual tradition of constructing an Ice Rink for players to partake in some frosty bagball action. Witnessing the community embrace the sporty side of Ultima Online and hearing all the hockey references during intense battles adds an extra layer of enjoyment. It's a unique blend of virtual and real-life enthusiasm that makes these moments truly special.

4. What is your most memorable moment playing UO?
Back in December of 1997, when I first set out on my journey, I invested countless hours in a unique venture, buying spools of thread and crafting robes, only to turn around and sell them back to the tailor. The hard work paid off when I finally amassed enough gold to purchase a deed for a stone and plaster house. I dashed north of the Vesper tailor shop to place my house. I now have a home of my own where I can store my treasures and trinkets from a hard days hunt.

5. What is your favorite thing to do in UO?
My favorite thing to do in UO is fishing. I love chilling by the high seas, hoping to snag something interesting with each toss. The best part was when they added fish pies and trophies in the new expansion. I made it my mission to collect all the rare fish and hang them up in my castle. But, I'm still missing that super rare void lobster with my character’s name on it. The quest for that lobster keeps my fishing adventures interesting!

6. Is there a specific event that you've done that is your favorite? What is it?
Venturing into the fish/black market has been the backdrop to some thrilling events. Guiding players through the shadowy underbelly, we faced off against pirates, thieves, assassins, and a motley crew of criminals. Despite the odds stacked against us, our victories were sweet, and the spoils—those little trinkets we collected along the way—served as tangible reminders of our conquests in the world beneath the surface.

7. Was a drop you made that you favorite most out of all of them thus far? What is it?
One of my all-time favorite drops was the snowman I introduced back in December 2018. I hosted a snowball fight event with a twist – the drop message said, "I built this snowman while saving the ice caps from melting." It was a cheeky play on words, injecting a bit of humor into the event. The idea was that players, during a slow part in the action, took a break from fighting to build a snowman. The response from the players made it a drop to remember, and the memory of that snowy escapade still brings a smile to my face.

8. Is there a specific story that comes to mind about UO that has stuck with you to date?
The days of IDOC hunting, when you had to roam the lands to scout out potential treasures! I remember one particular instance pretty well. A friend and I were teamed up with another player, the three of us anxiously waiting for a house to collapse. Unsure about the exact moment it would tumble, we engaged in casual banter to pass the time. As fate would have it, the other fellow adventurer had to leave, summoned back to the real world by the call of work. In a stroke of incredible timing, almost down to the second, he recalled out just as the house crumbled into virtual ruins. The loot, fully loaded and waiting, now belonged to my friend and I. A tale of chance and timing that highlighted the unpredictable magic of those early IDOC adventures.

9. Do you have any words of wisdom for the players out there? New and Old?
“Dying is not defeat, It’s a lesson”

10. Is there anything else you'd like to add to the players out there?
"Don't just rush past the NPCs; they're more than quest givers. Sometimes, the most profound wisdom comes from the unlikeliest characters. Stop, listen, and learn."

Ultima Online Twitter/X - https://twitter.com/UOTownCryer
Ultima Online Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/uotowncryer/
Ultima Online Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/uofenneko
E-mail: uo.fenneko@gmail.com