What is the benefit of having a fisherman?

I've been trying to justify making a fisherman, but the rewards don't seem to be that great from what I can see.... maybe summon scalis? Anyone out there have a 120 fisherman?

Comments

• MargretteMargrette Posts: 549
    edited May 2018
    I have a bunch of GM fisherwomen, who are also my miners and lumberjacks and also have GM music, peacemaking, and magery.  I have never been able to afford to buy a 120 fishing power scroll.  Tried doing the fishing quests for quite a while to get one of the fishing power scrolls, but never even got one of the 105s.  

The main reasons I have fishers are:
    • Fishing in UO is pretty relaxing.
    • I like to fish up the sunken chests. The loot is never any good, but it's a quick way to get a good amount for unraveling.  I usually toss the armor enhancement stuff for cleanup points, as well as the leggings and bows. Usually save the wedding dresses in case someone's wanting to cut them up for cloth.  Usually save the trailing vines.   Once in a while get a white net that can be sold for a decent amount or used for a guild hunt.
    • It's nice to get the white pearls for imbuing.
    • Most of my treasure hunters are not that good, so the maps from sea serpents are nice to get. Easy to finish the maps and get more junk to unravel and then throw away the finished map for cleanup points.
    • I like to hunt the merchant ships while sailing around fishing and then loot them for leather, ingots, boards, and armor enhancement stuff to trash for cleanup points.  
    • I always keep the horned leather and sea serpent scales from the sea serpents.  
    • Once in a blue moon, you fish up something that's worth mounting and hanging in your house.
    It would be nice if the fishing quests gave better rewards.  Would love to do them again, but past experience burned me out on them because I just had no use for any more hooks or bait that don't actually do anything helpful, plus trapping for crabs and lobsters to use to fill the fishing quest orders has to be one of the most boring and fruitless things ever added to UO.

Added as an edit:
    Forgot to mention that the single liquor bottles from merchant ships and the sunken chests are nice to throw out for cleanup points.
  • Duke_WinterDuke_Winter Posts: 18
    I LOVE fishing. As of now, I am working on two 120 Fisherman.

Yes, fishing can be boring, and the loot isn't always that great, however...

- The cleanup points can be worth it
    - If you're able to commit time, it can be very profitable for a modest player.
        - I can generally make 1 million every 2 days with fishing.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,052
    Fish pies would be a benefit but they do not last long enough for people to use.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Dot_WarnerDot_Warner Posts: 233
    Fishing in UO benefits carpal tunnel surgeons the world over!  :D
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    To catch fish and get MIBs.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,052
    Bilbo said:
    To catch fish and get MIBs.
    I like the Trophys!
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.