The treasures event is boring

Yes, I like the rewards and I really would like to have them, but the grind is boring. I get roughly 1 drop every 10-20 minutes, but usually I start losing interest after roughly 30 minutes, plus/minus. So yesterday I was again running circles killing stuff and after 20 mins I thought, well screw it, lets do a champ instead. And I really enjoyed doing that. Why? Both is just running around and killing monsters, right? Well, no, at least that's not all.

The issue with the current event is, that the stick with the carrot is so long and thus the carrot so far way, that I'm barely able to see it. And it keeps the motivation really low, just see dripping in the currency items every 10-15 mins. Yes, I know, more luck improves it and stronger/more difficult mobs improve the drop rate. But that's what I have and what I can do. I've read on forums from people reporting up to 75 drops per hour (which is probably the upper extreme), but this is just speeding up the grind, but not fundamentally fix the issues.

In a champ spawn on the other hand I feel immediate progression, when the spawn advances to the next level. I have some sense of progression when then the boss spawns and shakes it up again. And at the end I get my dopamine hit, when I check which scrolls and other rewards have dropped. It is a nice little event, which keeps me motivated while I am doing it and I like to repeat.

The bottom line is, that I will keep doing my short little sessions for getting a few drops here and there. Eventually I will get the mount, which is my first goal. And at the current pace, maybe I manage to also get the mace, before the event ends. So yeah, this not meant as a rant, rather a feedback what (in my opinion) is fun and what not, which could be considered when designing future events.

Comments

• CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    It is pretty boring...

for me, I'd say it's a few things.

1) one of the first things I see during these events almost without fail, is a group of 8+ sampires steamrolling everything, clearly a bot rail.

2) Non-pvp zone event.

2) if you're not playing a sampire, you're not getting drops anywhere near a 'reasonable rate'... playing the same template all the time is F***ing Boring -this is also the problem with pvp, different template, same problem.   -as a sampire, I was recieving just under 1 drop per minute with 620 luck, no statue, no potion....  I think that's a fair drop-rate, but again.. other templates will be slower because of the difficulty of the mobs as well as the bad mob density.

3) it's literally the same thing as the last ~8 events we've gotten (with a scenery change, and a partially new reward list with some older ones being recycled)

4) Inconsistent rewards, (definitely NOT limited to this or even this type of event)  there are always rewards from these events that are something that cannot be PoF'd regardless if there are any properties that suggest the item cannot be.
      -Example.    the Luck Cloak, cannot be PoF'd, it should be  OR it shouldn't have durability. -been reported before  nothing ever  changes around here.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,952
    edited October 2023
    Thrakkar said:
    Yes, I like the rewards and I really would like to have them, but the grind is boring. I get roughly 1 drop every 10-20 minutes, but usually I start losing interest after roughly 30 minutes, plus/minus. So yesterday I was again running circles killing stuff and after 20 mins I thought, well screw it, lets do a champ instead. And I really enjoyed doing that. Why? Both is just running around and killing monsters, right? Well, no, at least that's not all.

The issue with the current event is, that the stick with the carrot is so long and thus the carrot so far way, that I'm barely able to see it. And it keeps the motivation really low, just see dripping in the currency items every 10-15 mins. Yes, I know, more luck improves it and stronger/more difficult mobs improve the drop rate. But that's what I have and what I can do. I've read on forums from people reporting up to 75 drops per hour (which is probably the upper extreme), but this is just speeding up the grind, but not fundamentally fix the issues.

In a champ spawn on the other hand I feel immediate progression, when the spawn advances to the next level. I have some sense of progression when then the boss spawns and shakes it up again. And at the end I get my dopamine hit, when I check which scrolls and other rewards have dropped. It is a nice little event, which keeps me motivated while I am doing it and I like to repeat.

The bottom line is, that I will keep doing my short little sessions for getting a few drops here and there. Eventually I will get the mount, which is my first goal. And at the current pace, maybe I manage to also get the mace, before the event ends. So yeah, this not meant as a rant, rather a feedback what (in my opinion) is fun and what not, which could be considered when designing future events.
    My opinion is, that when the Developers think out these Events, the obtainability of their Rewards and the drops' rate, should be thought out more considering the average players rather then the hard core, power gamers...

If the Design of a given Event is too conservative, it can deter away the casual player who then finds the odds of getting something too low, too time consuming...

Not saying that things should be handed out, but neither that they should be too hard to get for the casual gamers and whatever are the means that they have to get those Rewards which are clearly less effective as compared to those that hard core, power gamers can use.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    popps said:
    My opinion is, that when the Developers think out these Events, the obtainability of their Rewards and the drops' rate, should be thought out more considering the average players rather then the hard core, power gamers...
        By 'Hard core Power Gamers" you mean the bots, right? 

There aren't really any hardcore power-gamers farming UO anymore, they're botting UO while farming games that don't allow bots to farm day-in & day-out.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • popps said:
    Thrakkar said:

If the Design of a given Event is too conservative, it can deter away the casual player who then finds the odds of getting something too low, too time consuming...

Not saying that things should be handed out, but neither that they should be too hard to get for the casual gamers and whatever are the means that they have to get those Rewards which are clearly less effective as compared to those that hard core, power gamers can use.
    You are not an average player 

once again speaking for others, or speaking in the 3rd person. So as per usual your comment add nothing to everyone else’s gameplay 

maybe ask for god mode or a give all mode like TC.  In fact. Why don’t you just setup on there
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    I have 2 characters who do ok at the event, a swordswoman and an archer. I play each for one hour, while under the influence of the statue. This gives me around 20 - 25 drops per day between them. It's not uber, but I have judged that it will be enough to get the items I want for my own characters, and possibly a few 'spares' for guildmates who have less time to play - I won't be selling them.
    In between times I do something else. Stock vendors, farm resources to make that stock. fill bods ready for the festival etc. The variety of the things I do keep boredom at bay far better than farming the heck out of the event. 
  • usernameusername Posts: 710
    edited October 2023
    I've said this for a while. These events are awfully boring and have made so many people quit, and that's not even mentioning the rampant cheating that goes on at these ToTs.

Let's face it: 

These events are low effort events hosted by the Devs with purposely high-end gear to make players ignore the fact the game has been both neglected development wise and using all the dev time on the new game which will flop. Any other game these types of items (best in slot) would be off new content, new area/expansion, a dungeon, encounter/boss, or long quest, that would take a group of coordinated players to kill, and, the rewards random/rare and would be ACCOUNT BOUND. The fact you will be able to buy these best in slot/uber high end items for 65m (mempo) and 100m (gloves) as points will no doubt hit 1m by the end of the event, if not lower, is absolutely insanely stupid.

I've told people time and time again that these items/rewards should be ACCOUNT BOUND so we can use them in true sandbox fashion on our account on whatever server we please. The point cost for them can be significantly reduced to combat the grind. Bots would mostly disappear. It's a reason to get on and actively play. Could even repeat rewards or run ToTs more often. Read more about it here.

If these ToTs continue, which I have no reason they wouldn't at this point (lazy content from the devs), account bound fixes many problems with very few downsides. But, of course, people just want to RMT and not have to play the game so of course they like these ToTs.... cheap best in slot items they don't have to earn, just buy from bots for mega cheap. And of course the Bots love it, mega payday for them. I spoke to one guy that was running 12 sampires/warriors on Atlantic and he claims he was pulling in 6000 turn-in points a day. LOL. So much for the legitimate player trying to make a honest buck. Anyways

OOH LOOK A NEW SHINY TOT WITH BROKEN OVERPOWERED GEAR FOR DIRT CHEAP
    ignore the bots
    ignore the awful shard bound item design
    ignore the fact we've not gotten any real content in over 4 years
    but we may get another quest/champ, eventually. 
    yay?

The real way to do these events is press play and go to sleep. 
    Or swipe the credit card. 
    Sorry to say it, OP, but...

doing these ToTs legitimately is a waste of time.

This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
    Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,177
    I don't use my sampire for these....

I use my  archer

I tested several things.

1 hour in The Waste with around 600 luck, I got 12 drops.
    1 hour in The Waste with around 1640? luck, I got 25 drops
    1 hour in The Winter Spur with around 600 luck, I got 14 drops
    1 hour in The Winter Spur with around 1640 luck, I got 22 drops
    1 hour in The Winter Spur with around 1640 luck AND a potion, I got 37 drops

It might not be as much as most others, but I think the archer does really well.

Now, when I was on the potion, I was rapid fire killing, don't wanna waste it! But without a potion I was more casual killing, not frantic OMG I HAVE TO KILL AS MANY THINGS AS I CAN AS FAST AS I CAN. i did die 3 times while I was on the potion so I could probably have gotten more drops.

I play the CC, and use the *Target Nearest > Hostile > Attack Selected* Macro so all I do is hit one key over and over to rapid-fire kill. I don't bother using AI unless it's a biggie paragon.

By the end of this event, I will have been able to get what I want off the reward list without a problem.

• HippoHippo Posts: 280
    I have 2 characters who do ok at the event, a swordswoman and an archer. I play each for one hour, while under the influence of the statue. This gives me around 20 - 25 drops per day between them. It's not uber, but I have judged that it will be enough to get the items I want for my own characters, and possibly a few 'spares' for guildmates who have less time to play - I won't be selling them.
    In between times I do something else. Stock vendors, farm resources to make that stock. fill bods ready for the festival etc. The variety of the things I do keep boredom at bay far better than farming the heck out of the event. 
    Same here. My first account gets 1350 Luck from statue rub and along with tali/quiver/yukio/ etc i have around 2000 Luck for an hour. Then I log that character and call up the second string and after that i switch shards.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,029
    Gee my ninja/weaver/fisher/pally finds it exciting