Steam

Have there been any talks to get ultima online on the steam store for more players? Please.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,112
    Would be the Biggest and Boldest move ever.  Other EA games are there.  I suppose it would require programming and a budget to get there.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • In 2014 there was an endeavor to get UO on Steam:

Meanwhile Steam Greenlight is gone. Also not sure, what changed and why it was abandoned. But to be honest, I still am not sure, if it is a good thing, should UO ever go on steam. What I would be most afarid of, would be the review & rating system. UO is a 26 year old game. As much as the ones with an active subscription are loving it, it doesn't really hold up against certain standards new players would expect from a game in 2023.UI & UX is often clunky & cumbersome. This also goes for certain features, game systems & game mechanics. Bottome line, I don't think it will have a rather mixed rating and thus won't attract as much new players, as people are hoping for. To do so, it would need a major overhaul, which would a. require somone putting quite some money into it and b. a bigger dev team, which would be able to work on multiple things i.e. 1 team bugfixing, 1 team working on NL, 1 team working on PROD events etc..
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    UO has far too many crybabies that can't play without cheats,   Punkbuster (an anti-cheat system) seemed to be the main issue being discussed around the time UO was green-lit on Steam.  -there may have been other reasons why UO never went to steam, but again, this was the one popping up the most among UO players.

Most games on Steam usually deal with their cheaters by banning them from official servers when they're caught cheating...  UO doesn't even give their cheaters a slap on the wrist.

Instead, UO has Mr Magoo to respond to pages about cheating, and whenever something does happen to a 'cheater' it's literally always for Unattended Macroing, regardless of how many scripts and/or characters are running.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,254
    CovenantX said:
    UO has far too many crybabies that can't play without cheats,   Punkbuster (an anti-cheat system) seemed to be the main issue being discussed around the time UO was green-lit on Steam.  -there may have been other reasons why UO never went to steam, but again, this was the one popping up the most among UO players.

Most games on Steam usually deal with their cheaters by banning them from official servers when they're caught cheating...  UO doesn't even give their cheaters a slap on the wrist.

Instead, UO has Mr Magoo to respond to pages about cheating, and whenever something does happen to a 'cheater' it's literally always for Unattended Macroing, regardless of how many scripts and/or characters are running.

Stop spreading lies.  The reason people did not want Punkbuster was it wanted total access to your entire system with no restrictions.  So that meant they could see everything including all your personal info. like CCs and banking.
    edited October 2023
    CovenantX said:

Stop spreading lies.  The reason people did not want Punkbuster was it wanted total access to your entire system with no restrictions.  So that meant they could see everything including all your personal info. like CCs and banking.
        There's no lie in my post.  

Punkbuster isn't even part of Steam anymore and it hasn't been for a very long time, they use vac now... so that's the new excuse should UO ever make another attempt at it.

Btw, all it takes is one person at any company you do busiiness and they can steal your information (because they have access to it) from anywhere you do business.   -not even including any outside security breaches or scams.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    UO was green lighted on Steam in 2014
    The two proposals are years apart.
    I believe the decisions to not procede were EA's.

edited October 2023
    I'm sure.

I'm stating there were numerous players whining about punkbuster, and an obviously smaller group supporting it... that's just a fact.

-It's not my fault some posters here seem like they cannot read.
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    CovenantX said:
    I'm sure.

I'm stating there were numerous players whining about punkbuster, and an obviously smaller group supporting it... that's just a fact.

LMAO  Thank you @Mariah for posting the dates maybe the OP should learn to write better.  Totally two different subjects that a YEARS apart.
    CovenantX said:
    I'm sure.

LMAO  Thank you @ Mariah for posting the dates maybe the OP should learn to write better.  Totally two different subjects that a YEARS apart.
      just so you know all the information was in the first post you quoted.  I'm not the OP either. I was responding with some of the 'backlash' that most players whined about leading up to and throughout the UO/Steam greenlite process.

No lies, (didn't stop you from crying otherwise, that's normal though) no missing information... clearly it was written fine enough, obviously you misunderstood it or as you quoted here above that you did not or could not read.
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    CovenantX said:
    CovenantX said:
    I'm sure.

LMAO  Thank you @ Mariah for posting the dates maybe the OP should learn to write better.  Totally two different subjects that a YEARS apart.
      just so you know all the information was in the first post you quoted.  I'm not the OP either. I was responding with some of the 'backlash' that most players whined about leading up to and throughout the UO/Steam greenlite process.

No lies, (didn't stop you from crying otherwise, that's normal though) no missing information... clearly it was written fine enough, obviously you misunderstood it or as you quoted here above that you did not or could not read.
    Punkbuster was discussed EIGHT years before Steam was even thought about when UO/EA started talking about using it to curb all the cheating.  Get your facts straight.

Punkbuster was discussed EIGHT years before Steam was even thought about when UO/EA started talking about using it to curb all the cheating.  Get your facts straight.
        My facts are straight,  The time in which these events occurred is not up for debate, nor is it relevant to the points I made.    -The most clear thing about this discussion is your lack of understanding, Again, absolutely nothing unusual there.
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    To answer the OP
    Yes it was discussed
    No, it is not going to happen.
This discussion has been closed.