Classic Client warning message to repair item : at what durability it triggers ?

2»

Comments

• CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 924
    He can't play for an hour, remember he asked if the luck timer stopped when he logs off.
       The,luck timer from the statue does stop when you log out (fully) and resumes when you log back in.

I'm not sure about the glorious potion effect.   -but I would expect the potion timer to stop & resume when you logout/in as well, considering it costs extra $.  -but I have not tested the potion.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • They are not going to change this for one person who doesn’t understand, as per usual with you 

time to lock this nonsense don’t you think @Mariah

been answered over and over yet he still wants everything his way 

need an ignore feature still 
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,365
    I wonder how we managed for years without a 'repair message', did we somehow take responsibility for the condition of our kit ourselves? I can't say I'm in tune with the modern 'Don't expect anyone to think for themselves' culture that seems to be the norm everywhere now.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,141
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    Arnold7 said:
      Based on my experience if cap is close to 255 repair usually works on first try.  But at a certain level repair starts to fail more often and item starts to wear out much faster so it is better to just forgo repairing the item at that point.  Usually for me, I stop repairing the item at around 190 or so because failures start to be more often at that point.
    None of the parts included in this quote are correct.

A 4/255 item has the same failure rate as a 4/100 item.

Repairs fail more often if you wait until the item has low durability. Some say that is 20 or 40 or 100.  I usually wait till I get the message and the item is 1 - 5. I fail less than 50% at those numbers.  I do use Mariahs check list during events because you are constantly fighting.  So I do not have to worry about repairs until the next day.

There is no reason to stop at 190.  I have imbued weapons that the maker forgot to use powder on. They last many months.  I have talismans that are in the 60s because I could not figure out which item was giving me the message, they have lasted years.

If you are going to play these events for an hour or more.  Use Mariahs pre play check list so that you can have an enjoyable time.

This is correct from your post:
     Agree cap goes down one point with every repair attempt regardless of the result.

Which leads to:
    popps said:
    I usually do that too... but it can happen, that I see an item that is, say, at like 40-50 durability points so not yet "ripe" for a repair (each repair drops the CAP 1 point, and fails too) and say to myself that I will repair it a bit later...

Then, I get into the fights at Tokuno and totally forget about it.... the continuous fighting wears down the item and I find myself, if I can see the warning messages on screen, with an item that has only left a handful of durability points... as I said, it happened today with 1 item left with only 1 durability point when I finally saw the message in the midst of all other on screen messages...

So, this method is not working for you.  Why are you arguing?
    You will find repairing when items are below 100 at your pre play check will over all wear out a lot slower than those you decide not to repair and wait for the message.

What exactly are you expecting the devs to do?

If you are repairing smith items, make a deed while holding a +60  hammer to make 180 deeds.  I doubt those deeds will ever fail.

I always hold a +60 hammer when making anything but iron barding deeds, always exceptional.
    It does take a charge away even if you craft with another tool.
    What exactly are you expecting the devs to do?

As I understand, currently the amount of Durability points at which the repair warning message comes on screen is at 5 points left.

Assuming that each point lost the client sends out 1 warning message, this means 5 messages to be seen in the cluttering of the screen that happens when one fights with the rest of text messages, untill the Durability of the item reaches 0.

If, for example, the "trigger point" of the repair item warning messages was set to 20 Durability points, rather then 5 as it is now, the player would have like 20 messages to see before the item's Durability reaches 0, rather then the 5 that there are now.

While it "can" be that out of 5 messages none gets seen, in a screen that is full of other text messages about the ongoing fights, when those messages are 20, because the trigger condition is no longer 5 Durability points but, rather, 20 points, the chances that at least 1 of those repairs warning messages is seen before the Durability reaches 0 are 4 times higher.... (20 instead of 5).

And, swapping a digit from 5 to 20 in the code, I imagine (but am not sure that would be the only thing that would need to be changed...) would not be "that" much of a big issue, wouldn't it ?
    Then check your items before you play.  We do not need more hand holding.  I thought you used EC. The items turn yellow then red on the paper doll.

The OP should have been.

Developers please change the durability warning message to start at 20.

Then go play.  You will get better results that way.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,960
    edited October 2023
    CovenantX said:
    He can't play for an hour, remember he asked if the luck timer stopped when he logs off.
       The,luck timer from the statue does stop when you log out (fully) and resumes when you log back in.

I'm not sure about the glorious potion effect.   -but I would expect the potion timer to stop & resume when you logout/in as well, considering it costs extra $.  -but I have not tested the potion.

Yes, they stop, the problem is the 2 minutes delayed log off if the character was engaged into combat...

Since the whole reason of the Store bought Potion is to use it when in combat, it goes without saying that a a player that purchased and was using the Store bought potion with an in game character had the character fighting...

If a sudden log off due to real life unexpected issues that came up is needed, the character that had been fighting until then will not "insta log off", not even in a house or any safe location like an Inn but will be subject to the 2 minutes delayed log off and in the meantime, the Store bought 1 hour timer Potion will keep running thus wasting the player's money all for nothing...

And the same for the Luck 1 hour timer.... since the Store bought Potion for better results is used usually in conjunction with the Luck Statue 1 hour timer, the 2 minutes combat delayed log off will also wear out the sttue Luck 1 hour timer...

And this, for each and every time that the player might need to log off due to real life impdiments during that 1 hour for both Luck Statue and Store bought Potion....

To my opinion, this should not be.

The 2 minutes delayed timer when in combat should NOT apply neither to the Store bought Potion nor to the Luck Statue 1 hour timer.... for these 2, the log off should apply instantly the split second that the player hits the log off button.

The character can very well stay showing in UO for 2 minutes, but the Luck Statue 1 hour tmer and the Store bought Potion 1 hour timer should  NOT, they should stop still not after the 2 minutes delayed log off when in combat have lapsed but, rather, the split second that the player has pushed the LOG OFF button on the game Client.

That is at least the way I see it.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 924
    popps said:
    CovenantX said:

Yes, they stop, the problem is the 2 minutes delayed log off if the character was engaged into combat...

The combat flag timer is 2 minutes, your character stays logged in for ~7 minutes if you logout within that 2-minute timer.   Unless that's been fixed in the last ~10 years, it still works as described above.

Which means you have to wait the 2-minute timer if you're combat flagged, Then logout, and your character should fully logout safely within ~5-10 seconds.  -the only other way to logout instantly while flagged in combat, is to use camping skill (anyone can use the skill) once the 'camp is secure' double click a bedroll and you'll be safely logged out instantly.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    CovenantX said:
    popps said:
    CovenantX said:

The combat flag timer is 2 minutes, your character stays logged in for ~7 minutes if you logout within that 2-minute timer.   Unless that's been fixed in the last ~10 years, it still works as described above.

Which means you have to wait the 2-minute timer if you're combat flagged, Then logout, and your character should fully logout safely within ~5-10 seconds.  -the only other way to logout instantly while flagged in combat, is to use camping skill (anyone can use the skill) once the 'camp is secure' double click a bedroll and you'll be safely logged out instantly.
    The problem with all that, is that the Store bought Potion and the Luck Statue make sense only if one fights....

If one does not fight, to wait the 2 minutes timer (or the camping skill which hardly a Warrior has on the template anyways...), this time is wasted money towards the 200 Sovereigns that the Store bought Potion cost to buy....

And this wasted time is each and every single time that a player needs to log off during that hour of validity of the Store bought Potion....

Personally, I happen to think that, for an item that costs real money to buy, this should not be.

This wasted time for the combat delayed log off timer should not apply, neither for the Store bought Potion not for the Luck Statue hour that is usually associated with the Store bought Potion use.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,047
    Fight for one hour that problem solved check gear after fighting one hour that problem solved @Mariah can we lock now before anyone else has to belittle popps more
  • Why would you buy a potion, start fighting and then log off during the timer?

MAKES NO SENSE and is another stupid hypothetical argument that the Dev's are not going to change just for you

time to think up some other stupid post of dramatic urgency Popps, like all others, this just embarrasses you again
    edited October 2023
    Why would you buy a potion, start fighting and then log off during the timer?

MAKES NO SENSE and is another stupid hypothetical argument that the Dev's are not going to change just for you

time to think up some other stupid post of dramatic urgency Popps, like all others, this just embarrasses you again
    Why ?

Can't things in real life come up all of a sudden, unexpectedly, durnig that 1 hour ?

Regardless whether one plans to play that 1 hour straight early morning, during the day, in the middle of the night, anything can come up during that 1 hour in real life to disrupt that planned gameplay....

I happen to think that, since the Store bought Potion is an item which cost real money, its time should not go wasted, even if only 2 minutes out of 60, because of the delayed log off timer when having been in combat (and those 2 minutes are lost for each and every log off that one might hav to go through while trying to do that 1 hour game play under the influx of the Store bought Potion so, if it was to happen more then once, the minutes lost could be 4, 6, 8+ depending on how many times during that 1 hour the player was to have to abruptedly log off....).
  • MariahMariah Posts: 3,001Moderator
    I would recommend that if you are not sure of getting an hour of uninterrupted game time you don't activate the potion.
    I'm afraid the developers time to change this item is worth considerably more than the 3 cents per minute you would lose, so it it highly unlikely to happen.
This discussion has been closed.