Pumpkins and Butchers

Same problems as last year, spawn rate for the Grimms is abysmally slow. I have runes marked to all locations and most of the time there's only 1 or 2 Grimms...also please remove the NPCs from inside the Nujelm graveyard during ToT, they call the guards on the Butcher as soon as they aggro on players.

Thank you

You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.

Comments

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,122Dev
    The spawn rate for the Grimms is working as intended.

We should be able to address the butcher situation in 116.1 w/ re: to Guards.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Butchers spawn non stop, which is great, 95% of them have carving kits on them which is great. Grimms are slow to spawn, and 95 % of the time they don't have pumpkins on them. I"m going to reiterate what I posted last year, that we should be allowed to grow our own pumpkins by now. The Butchers can still spawn the kits, the Grimms can still give other items as drops. People like to collect, you know this..anyone who cares about Halloween content wants a full set of all pumpkins to display. For the average player, 4+ years (cycles) is too long to go trying to put a set together, in my non Game Developer opinion.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,115
    I think you need to check those #s.  Butchers have 95% kits?  Comeon. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited October 2023
    I just killed 6 in a row, all with kits....I have no reason to come onto a forum and lie about anything.

On a side note, coding has become so bizarre...I used 5 kits on 5 of the new large round pumpkins and got 5 different designs..I like that, all drops should be that way, like the fishing books I think ? Or maybe it was another one, where you were guaranteed a different one until you got the full set. Grind days should be long gone from UO by now.

4 words

A Halloween Pumpkin Seed

• LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 786
    If the Grimm spawn is working as intended then I think much of the time what's intended isn't sufficient.

If you're out there hunting all the pumpkin patches on both facets and you're going round and round and round finding no Grimm, dead or alive, the spawn rate is pretty bad.

My math could be off or I might be missing something here but roughly we have:
    Brit Farm w/ 8 patches
    Moonglow w/ 7 patches
    Ocllo w/ 8 patches
    Yew w/ 9 patches
    Cove w/ 1
    Times 2 is 66 different pumpkin patches.

I don't think you should log on for a play session, recall around in circles for a half hour and not find a single Grimm to kill. Or start your play session and find a few here and there and then the spawn dries up for ages. And that's if you're the only one out there hunting. 

The Butcher spawn doesn't dry up in the cemeteries like that. Why should the Grimm?

I'm with Garth and others who've talked about letting us harvest pumpkin seeds. Have it work like the thorns. Plant the seed in a field and pop a Grimm. 
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,177
    I have to say it....

RNG

On Origin? PLENTY of Grimms...I have already completed this years carved pumpkin set with plenty to spare.

Carving kits...on Origin...maybe 60%.

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,310
    edited October 2023
    Butchers seem pretty normal this year with a fairly high carving kit return rate, and Grimms seem pretty much the same too except for looking better.  Grimms have been for at least the last three years just one or two per field.  Think their spawn rate was slow last year too.  Did not see many knights last couple days.  Seems their spawn rate was about normal at the beginning but now rarely see them.  Maybe, none at all last night.
    Have not had any problems with butchers in Nujelm.  Maybe that is a shard issue.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 721
    I find clearing the patches of pumpkins still helps. You can move them across a server line or kill an animal and stuff the corpse with pumpkins. Make a round doing that and next round they have Grims.

I also like to be able to call the guards on Butchers. If you after the skeletons, the butcher's constant respawning can be a pain. Nujelm is usually a nice town for a break.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,687
    LilyGrace said:
    If the Grimm spawn is working as intended then I think much of the time what's intended isn't sufficient.

If you're out there hunting all the pumpkin patches on both facets and you're going round and round and round finding no Grimm, dead or alive, the spawn rate is pretty bad.

My math could be off or I might be missing something here but roughly we have:
    Brit Farm w/ 8 patches
    Moonglow w/ 7 patches
    Ocllo w/ 8 patches
    Yew w/ 9 patches
    Cove w/ 1
    Times 2 is 66 different pumpkin patches.

I don't think you should log on for a play session, recall around in circles for a half hour and not find a single Grimm to kill. Or start your play session and find a few here and there and then the spawn dries up for ages. And that's if you're the only one out there hunting. 

The Butcher spawn doesn't dry up in the cemeteries like that. Why should the Grimm?

I'm with Garth and others who've talked about letting us harvest pumpkin seeds. Have it work like the thorns. Plant the seed in a field and pop a Grimm. 
    don't forget to do Skara Brae.
    there are 4 locations for them there
    with your calculations that would be 8 patches
    (5 in EC, because the 2nd one looks like one patch)

but you are right, I was doing them by myself the other morning
    and it took a bit before they started showing up again

also note... Cove hardly ever spawns one during the day
    in my experience, they are there at shard up, but hardly ever spawn during the day
    I knew I was forgetting a local, Cin. Yep, I go to Skara on both facets. 

I think mileage varies from shard to shard. I’ve noticed pretty extreme differences in spawn rate one to another. 

I did recruit my husband’s necromancer to cast hoard minions to do some clean up. Maybe it helped? My husband swears it does. 

I dunno I cleaned all the pumpkins off the patches on the northern most Moonglow farm 3 times and never got anything but small pumpkins back in about a 45 minute period.

I had to log after that. I had a lemon ricotta pound cake I had to go over bake.  :'(
    I have to concede, having completed a set of pumpkins yesterday, I really didn't have much to complain about. Sorry, I think I was mostly aggravated that the small pumpkins where being moved just off to the side of the spawn areas. Which totally did break the spawn. Nothing would spawn on the soil after that and they wouldn't decay for ages if just left on the grass nearby.

I kept moving them off the server for a time but someone kept doing the same thing when the smalls spawned on the soil again. And no Grimms would spawn at all.

Anywho! Between that waste of time and almost burning my pound cake I was grumpy. LOL

Happy Halloween Season, All! It's always a blast! 

P.S. Still would love to be able to grow pumpkins.

P.S.S. Really love the new Jack O' Lantern art! Thank you!
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,846
    edited October 2023
    LilyGrace said:
    I have to concede, having completed a set of pumpkins yesterday, I really didn't have much to complain about. Sorry, I think I was mostly aggravated that the small pumpkins where being moved just off to the side of the spawn areas. Which totally did break the spawn. Nothing would spawn on the soil after that and they wouldn't decay for ages if just left on the grass nearby.

I kept moving them off the server for a time but someone kept doing the same thing when the smalls spawned on the soil again. And no Grimms would spawn at all.

Anywho! Between that waste of time and almost burning my pound cake I was grumpy. LOL

Happy Halloween Season, All! It's always a blast! 

P.S. Still would love to be able to grow pumpkins.

P.S.S. Really love the new Jack O' Lantern art! Thank you!
    Just make a newb Necro with 50 ss 50 necro and give it a 100%lrc suit. then take it to the fields and summon a horde minion and walk around until it is full and then dismiss it, rinse repeat, watch the pumpkins and Grims respawn, albeit slowly, and then bring in your main to kill Grims. Or do what i did and take a complimentary skill off your Sampire and add SS. and +1 to Pumpkin farming, just make it difficult or make the carvable pumpkins a rare resource like the seeds of renewal
    the Horde Minion method really works well, see below

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

I think creating a noob necro on my secondary account sound like a great idea VoS  :) Thank you. 
  • LilyGrace said:
    I think creating a noob necro on my secondary account sound like a great idea VoS  :) Thank you. 
    My pleaseure. there were a couple of more fields like the one pictured after i cleared the fields that way.

edited October 2023
    my haul from the last 10 minutes or so. Now if i could just get this 95% kit drop rate . . .

Just killed 7 Butchers and got 6 kits....

• Just killed 7 Butchers and got 6 kits....
    you're having a good Run Garth, I killed 30 today and got 2 kits.

You know you can flip a coin and get the same.  

Kill 400 and report. 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,257
    Pawain said:

Kill 400 and report. 
    OK Debbie Downer
  • Pawain said:

Kill 400 and report. 
    I get so many kits from butchers wandering into my AOE and exploding while I'm farming bones that I just throw them on the bank floor.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,029
    Butchers should spawn in the fields rather than graveyards 
    Came home from work, logged in, killed 5 butchers....5 kits..again, I have no reason whatsoever to lie on a forum..

Came home from work, logged in, killed 5 butchers....5 kits..again, I have no reason whatsoever to lie on a forum..
    It's RNG.  I think they are 50%.  Doing 5 at a time is not proof of the RNG.

You can get way more butchers/time than Grimms.

If I posted the rare colors I get from tokens. I'd be at 0%. 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,257
    Pawain said:
    It's RNG.  I think they are 50%.  Doing 5 at a time is not proof of the RNG.

You can get way more butchers/time than Grimms.

If I posted the rare colors I get from tokens. I'd be at 0%. 
    OK Debbie Downer.
    edited October 2023
    Not saying you're lying, just having a good run on the RNG. I have no reason to lie either, i killed 10 yesterday and got 1 kit. 

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,310
    edited October 2023
    If you only got one out of ten it might be a good time to buy lottery ticket.  My experience has been the probability of getting a kit is more like 60 to 80%.  Generally speaking if you kill around 30 butchers with all other aspects being equal you should get fairly reliable estimate of the actual probability of getting a kit.  Have not had time to do that yet.
    Probability of getting bones seems quite low.  Does anyone know does luck play a role?  My suit has around 400 luck.  Have one with higher luck but return on kits does not really justify using it here.

• Arnold7 said:
    If you only got one out of ten it might be a good time to buy lottery ticket.  My experience has been the probability of getting a kit is more like 60 to 80%.  Generally speaking if you kill around 30 butchers with all other aspects being equal you should get fairly reliable estimate of the actual probability of getting a kit.  Have not had time to do that yet.
    Probability of getting bones seems quite low.  Does anyone know does luck play a role?  My suit has around 400 luck.  Have one with higher luck but return on kits does not really justify using it here.

The drop rate on both kits and pumpkins is around 50% from my experience. Also, ! did a test about an hour ago and did 10 butchers and 10 Killer Pumpkins and got 5 kits and 4 pumpkins.there will be streaks of low and high numbers in this so you have to look at it over a long peiod with many data points.  at the end of the day though i play this game for fun, not science and am satisfied with my results thus far.

Just logged in, killed 8 and got 7. That's 26 butchers and 24 kits... 93%

• Just logged in, killed 8 and got 7. That's 26 butchers and 24 kits... 93%
    Damn, you’re having a really good run. I killed 12 and got 3