Tamed Pets act/ react like delayed ?

AhankAhank Posts: 46
edited September 2023 in General Discussions
Hello,

after a few months of break I returned and it feels like my tamed pets (Triton, CU Sidhe..) do react like delayed.. I got 120 Taming (real 110+10) and 115 Animal Lore (real 115) but if I command it to Guard me and a mob is attacking me, my pet often do nothing (Wonderfully Happy of course) and I need to command it to attack the Mob. (that works most of the time)

A other example:  After my pet kills a Mob it is coming back to me often very delayed like 5+ seconds later when the mob is already dead .... even if a other Mob is already attacking me . 

Anyone else noticed this behavior ? 

Like I wrote I am paying since a few days after a break of a few months so I cant say if this behavior is new.

Playing on Europe atm..

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,113
    edited September 2023
    The pet will guard you better if you tell it to guard before you are attacked.  It does not always recognize that you are wanting it to guard you from the Mob that is already attacking you. So, you should use all kill and target when something is on you.  That's why many tamers use invis or peace for that.

Speak the Guard command as you come out of invis and it works much better.

Guard also does not work well for multiple targets, meaning the pet is not going to kill one mob and then kill the next in order of them attacking you.  Learn to use your invis skill or peace at the right times so you can keep things off of you. Then control the pet to attack the most dangerous threat to you.

Best way to learn how to control your pet is to run around Eodon where the Dimetrosaurs and Allosaurus are.  Lots of things that will distract your pet and help you learn to stay alive and control it.  Many types of Huntsmaster mobs are in Eodon so you can do those also.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • AhankAhank Posts: 46
    I think you misunderstood it . I am guarded the whole time.. and the pet is often doing nothing if a mob gets aggro to me and is walking in my direction so I need to extra command my pet to attack the mob,.

If it's actually always been like this, it's possible I'm confusing it with another UO version where it works properly, which I've been trying out lately...

I hope I can handle  my invisible spell after that long time playing UO but thx for the hint :-) 
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 802
    edited September 2023
    Many pet commands reset the guarded status - to not guarded.

You need to be in guarded status at the point in time when the monster aggro's you, for the pet to auto-defend you from that monster.

Easiest way to see this in action is issue "All Guard Me", then cast an area effect spell.  The pet will target one of the monsters that aggress-ed the player.

If you invis, you can issue "All Guard Me" or "All Kill" to bring yourself out of invis automatically.

I find "All Guard Me" to be most useful if spamming area effect spells (in wraith form, of course).
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    edited September 2023
    As soon as you say "All Follow Me" the guard command is dropped. Also keep in mind if your pet can't reach the mob, for instance; if you're in a boat, it will appear they aren't guarding you when in fact they are. The delay in returning to you after a kill is experienced by us all, so it's not just on your end. Sometimes they take a few seconds, as if they're feasting on the kill, but I don't think the devs are that clever when it comes to coding, to make that by design.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    Line of sight from the oet can also be an issue. When in places where there are multiple elevations, the pet may not be able to see what is attacking you
  • CovfefeCovfefe Posts: 239
    As soon as you say "All Follow Me" the guard command is dropped.

?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,113
    edited September 2023
    If you tell the pet to attack something it was not going to attack, the pet will not say Guarding in its bar anymore. But, your character still has guarded in the name.  Probably the same thing happens with Follow.

Mine says Guarded, pet stopped saying Guarding. Pet will not say Guarding again until you use the command again.
    Maybe he sees this.

Translate that name and you will see what I think of Pet AI.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CovfefeCovfefe Posts: 239
    edited September 2023
    Pawain said:
    .  Probably the same thing happens with Follow.

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited September 2023
    This is normal, pets are OP. And AI have thoughts and feelings too....

Dumb Dog, All Kill
    Huh.....? Really.....? Again....? Alright... sigh... *loyalty check*... (6 seconds passed).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs