Client won't open

LindaeLindae Posts: 11
edited September 2023 in Bugs
I just reinstalled the game and now the client won't open. I've tried both Classic and Enhanced. I click on the icon but no windows appear. According to Task Manager it is running, but I can't make it do anything. 

I've tried clearing the cache, rebooting the computer, uninstalled and reinstalled a few times, running as administrator, relocating my user data to a new folder, and updating my Visual C++. 

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• CovfefeCovfefe Posts: 239
    Do you have a third party (non microsoft) antivirus installed? try uninstalling this if so
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,799
    Which app do you see in Task Manager:  UOPatch or UOSA?
  • LindaeLindae Posts: 11
    edited September 2023
    Covfefe said:
    Do you have a third party (non microsoft) antivirus installed? try uninstalling this if so
    The thought terrifies me, I'll try everything else and then that. UO is on the list of allowed apps. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll let you know when I get around to trying it.
    TimSt said:
    Which app do you see in Task Manager:  UOPatch or UOSA?
    In "Processes" it's "Patch Client 32-bit", in "Details" it's UO.bin. I'm sorry if that's the wrong information, I'm not very good with computers...
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,799
    Have you tried the following?

Reboot the computer
    Uninstall the game.
    Delete the folder:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic"
    Reboot the computer
    Reinstall the game

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    Did you remember to set the new install as 'run as administrator'?
    Since when did we have to run uo as administrator?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,108
    edited September 2023
    Turn off the virus program and see if UO works then. You don't have to uninstall it. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,027
    Covfefe said:
    Since when did we have to run uo as administrator?
    Since like windows 7
    edited September 2023
    I have never played in admin mode, whats the advantage you get?
    When I launch the game the UAC control enquires if i'm going to allow this program to make changes to your computer, and you have to press yes for the game to launch, I think that gives it elevated permissions.
    I have never had to right click and run as admin, nor in properties changed to always run as admin.

Aside from this, the OP already stated they tried running in Admin
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 802
    edited September 2023
    It may well be a bug that (by default) EC/CC require administrator to run/patch.

Many would say running network games as administrator is crazy.

At least for EC, you can avoid running it as admin, once it is installed, just by running UOSA.EXE.

Patching though -- the UOPATCH.EXE needs to be changed to not trigger admin elevation, assuming you've given the ordinary user at least write access to the UO install directory.

See the "runasinvoker" element of this post.  (don't include the ~, it's just RUNASINVOKER).

CC is probably similar.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 802
    edited September 2023
    For CC, replace "UOSA.EXE" in the above with "CLIENT.EXE"

For CC, "given the ordinary user at least write access to the UO install directory", coupled with "RUNASINVOKER" for uo.exe and uopatch.exe.

Addendum for EC:

Patching though -- the UOPATCH.EXE and UO.EXE needs to be changed to not trigger admin elevation, assuming you've given the ordinary user at least write access to the UO install directory.

So EC and CC are very similiar, only the install directories referenced for RUNASINVOKER will be different, if you happen to have both clients installed.

That should avoid having to elevate to admin for running/patching.

edited September 2023
    Thank you everybody for your suggestions! I have tried everything suggested on this page and nothing has worked. The obvious conclusion is that my computer is haunted and/or cursed. Thank you again, I really appreciate you all taking the time.
    edited September 2023
    I just noticed there are patch logs. Here is what they have to tell me. A lot of files seem to be missing, I'd thought the list of files in the directory was smaller than it used to be, but I'm not sure why that would be, as this is just the copy of the game taken straight from uo.com and it's never failed to install properly in the past.

[2023/09/07 08:26:27] Failed UI copy from [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\patchui_win.dll] to [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\patchui.dll]. Trying safety load of source dll.
    [2023/09/07 08:26:27] No usable UI present! Initializing 'headless' patch.
    [2023/09/07 08:26:27] Failed to load module [http]
    [2023/09/07 08:26:27] libpatchclient initialized.
    [2023/09/07 08:26:27] No acceptable splash screen file found.
    [2023/09/07 08:26:27] Currently running as [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\UO.exe]
    [2023/09/07 08:26:27] Currently running as [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\UO.exe]
    [2023/09/07 08:26:27] Failed to overwrite file [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\UO.bin]. Attempt [1]. Retrying in [3] seconds...
    [2023/09/07 08:26:30] Failed to overwrite file [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\UO.bin]. Attempt [2]. Retrying in [3] seconds...
    [2023/09/07 08:26:33] Failed to overwrite file [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\UO.bin]. Attempt [3]. Retrying in [3] seconds...
    [2023/09/07 08:26:36] Failed to overwrite file [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\UO.bin]. Attempt [4]. Retrying in [3] seconds...
    [2023/09/07 08:26:39] File copy failed after 5 attempts.
    [2023/09/07 08:26:39] Could not run as alternate filename
    [2023/09/07 08:27:00] Failed to send HTTP request for file [http://patch.uo.eamythic.com/uopatch-sa/legacyrelease/patcher/manifest/patcher.prod.sig]
    [2023/09/07 08:27:42] Failed to send HTTP request for file [http://patch.uo.eamythic.com/uopatch-sa/legacyrelease/patcher/manifest/patcher.prod.sig]
    [2023/09/07 08:28:24] Failed to send HTTP request for file [http://patch.uo.eamythic.com/uopatch-sa/legacyrelease/patcher/manifest/patcher.prod.sig]
    [2023/09/07 08:29:06] Failed to send HTTP request for file [http://patch.uo.eamythic.com/uopatch-sa/legacyrelease/patcher/manifest/patcher.prod.sig]
    [2023/09/07 08:29:06] Failed to retrieve remote file [patcher.prod.sig].
    [2023/09/07 08:29:06] Failed to read remote product check.
    [2023/09/07 08:29:06] Failed to patch patcher product.
    [2023/09/07 08:32:35] Failed to load string table from [data\strings\english\patch.txt]. Trying english fallback.
    [2023/09/07 08:32:35] Failed to load string table from [data\strings\english\patch.txt].
    [2023/09/07 08:32:35] String table load failed!
    [2023/09/07 08:32:36] Failed UI copy from [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\patchui_win.dll] to [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\patchui.dll]. Trying safety load of source dll.
    [2023/09/07 08:32:36] No usable UI present! Initializing 'headless' patch.
    [2023/09/07 08:32:36] Failed to load module [http]
    [2023/09/07 08:32:36] libpatchclient initialized.
    [2023/09/07 08:32:36] No acceptable splash screen file found.
    [2023/09/07 08:32:36] Currently running as [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\UO.exe]
    [2023/09/07 08:32:37] Currently running as [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\UO.exe]
    [2023/09/07 08:32:37] Notification of restart with alternate filename
    [2023/09/07 08:32:37] Failed to load string table from [data\strings\english\patch.txt]. Trying english fallback.
    [2023/09/07 08:32:37] Failed to load string table from [data\strings\english\patch.txt].
    [2023/09/07 08:32:37] String table load failed!
    [2023/09/07 08:32:38] Failed UI copy from [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\patchui_win.dll] to [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\patchui.dll]. Trying safety load of source dll.
    [2023/09/07 08:32:38] No usable UI present! Initializing 'headless' patch.
    [2023/09/07 08:32:38] Failed to load module [http]
    [2023/09/07 08:32:38] libpatchclient initialized.
    [2023/09/07 08:32:38] No acceptable splash screen file found.
    [2023/09/07 08:32:38] Currently running as [C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\UO.bin]

Thank you all for your patience, I am really not good with computers.
    edited September 2023
    so it is loading the patcher but not loading the game?
    Try checking the box at the bottom of the patcher:
    Perform full file check

you def tried uninstalling third party antivirus? you don't need to be afraid of this as microsoft windows comes with its own antivirus which will kick in upon uninstall of third party.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,253
    What windows are you running?
    sorry I think i misunderstood, you don't get the patcher, and i think you found the log file in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\logs

• What windows are you running?
    Windows 10.
    Covfefe said:
    sorry I think i misunderstood, you don't get the patcher, and i think you found the log file in

I apologise for the confusion, it's hard to explain exactly what's happening. Yes, that's where the logs come from. Inside the UO classic directory looks like this: 

I've tried both that UO icon there, and there's another one in the GDF folder labelled UO-MCE that also doesn't do anything. I click on them (whether as admin or not), the pop-up comes up asking if I want to let the program make changes to my computer and I say yes, then the timer spins for a few seconds and then stops. No windows appear or anything, patch or client. (I finally uninstalled the antivirus, it made no difference.)

Thank you all for trying to help me here, this is a strange situation and I do appreciate your patience.
    Lindae said:
    What windows are you running?
    Windows 10.
    Covfefe said:

I apologise for the confusion, it's hard to explain exactly what's happening. Yes, that's where the logs come from. Inside the UO classic directory looks like this: 

I've tried both that UO icon there, and there's another one in the GDF folder labelled UO-MCE that also doesn't do anything. I click on them (whether as admin or not), the pop-up comes up asking if I want to let the program make changes to my computer and I say yes, then the timer spins for a few seconds and then stops. No windows appear or anything, patch or client. (I finally uninstalled the antivirus, it made no difference.)

Thank you all for trying to help me here, this is a strange situation and I do appreciate your patience.
    If that is all the files you have in the Ultima Online Classic folder you are missing a ton of files.
    Where are you installing your UO App from?  You should install it from here https://uo.com/client-download/ 
    edited September 2023
    If that is all the files you have in the Ultima Online Classic folder you are missing a ton of files.
    Where are you installing your UO App from?  You should install it from here https://uo.com/client-download/ 
    It's very strange, the missing files thing. It did look like the directory was much smaller than it used to be. I've re-downloaded the CC four separate times and the EC twice from uo.com to make sure I had the right thing, totally uninstalled them between installs (I used the IOBit program that you recommended to someone in another thread), and done nothing different from any previous install of UO in all these many years where it's worked perfectly every time. 

I can't find any record of this ever happening to anybody else, so I think I just have to accept that my computer is haunted and move on.
    Lindae said:
    It's very strange, the missing files thing. It did look like the directory was much smaller than it used to be. I've re-downloaded the CC four separate times and the EC twice from uo.com to make sure I had the right thing, totally uninstalled them between installs (I used the IOBit program that you recommended to someone in another thread), and done nothing different from any previous install of UO in all these many years where it's worked perfectly every time. 

I can't find any record of this ever happening to anybody else, so I think I just have to accept that my computer is haunted and move on.
    I am not sure where the IOBit came from but just download it from UO.Com and open it.  The program you are downloading is an installer and should install UO on your computer.  Uninstall UO and delete Ultima Online Classic folder and do a fresh install
  • I am not sure where the IOBit came from but just download it from UO.Com and open it.  The program you are downloading is an installer and should install UO on your computer.  Uninstall UO and delete Ultima Online Classic folder and do a fresh install
    Apologies, it might not have been you that suggested IOBit. It was someone I consider trustworthy anyway. (That's an uninstaller that cleans up any remnant of programs - just in case there was junk lying around that was interfering with the installation.) 

The UO.com version is the one I have been using. That's what's so strange about this whole thing! It will probably just fix itself unexpectedly one day after my subscription has run out, that's what usually seems to happen.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,987Moderator
    it's downloaded the installer, but it's not allowing the installer to actually install the program. I'm not sure how to fix it, is there a firewall blocking it?