Communication

It’s almost as if the devs don’t care, which I’m sure they actually do..but where are they. They must realize we are all playing a very niche game that doesn’t exactly have a huge new base showing up daily(sadly this is an OSI issue)..so where’s the communication. It’s 2023..where’s the official discord with teasers or stuff to get you hyped. Is UO just officially a dead game, something for the team to just collect a paycheck off of? What games in 2023 have ZERO correspondence in months and then when the lead dev talks it’s as if she almost annoyed she has to. No one is asking for daily updates but Jesus If NL is still a thing I don’t know..post a screenshot. Talk about future updates, start polls..fix 10 year old bugs. When UO went to broadsword there was this whole. NOW that we don’t have EA breathing down our necks we can communicate more, do more things etc etc.. none of which has happened. I’m sure this will be locked, but literally the only thing that she cares about is the EM program. Very sad…#bringCalback

Comments

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,180
    edited July 2023
    I agree. 

The main reason I think there is such a major lack of communication is because the team is focused on NL which they aren't making much progress on so instead of sending out communication of "still no updates on fixing the issues", they don't say anything at all. I don't think we need like a weekly update that says "no update" BUT I do think that we should at least have a monthly or bi-monthly update on the status of NL (even if it's high level "we are having issues"). I think the problem with not giving any updates for months on end is that people start to wonder what you have been working on after 3/6/9 months of no updates on NL. Communicating updates (good or bad) shows accountability. I think most people would accept a few months of "we are having issues", but if we are going on 4-5 months of that same repeat message that's going to raise a lot of flags... suddenly the Dev team is on the hook.

Perfect example is the access to this forum using Chrome. Several users STILL cannot stay logged in on first attempt. It's been an issue for what, the past 5-6 months? The first month or two of not being able to figure it out isn't a big deal (ie "no updates when there aren't updates") but getting into month 4/5/6 without any updates? Is this even being looked into at this point? If so, by who because they probably need help or someone else to jump in to get it fixed. Without any communication, there isn't anything to hold them liable of actually fixing things because it only comes up when someone mentions the issue.

All of that said, I can see how some people could argue about the Devs "not giving updates when there aren't any". I'll give NL a pass because it seems like it was a massive undertaking and maybe they are a bit under water. Maybe even the Chrome issue because they don't have someone that specializes in that. What I can't / won't accept is the "no updates" excuse for Prod content roadmaps & bug fixes. There is literally a team in place for that. There should 100% be some sort of updates given about what to expect for upcoming content for the year (especially when there aren't any major events planned ATM) and what bugs are currently being tested/fixed. A lack of update on these things tells me that they either don't have anything planned for Prod and/or are not working on anything. Lack of communication for months on these things is inexcusable, imo, when players pay a monthly subscription.

BTW - Are monthly newsletters even a thing anymore or did they suffer a ninja nerf too?
  • KarynKaryn Posts: 55
    keven2002 said:
    All of that said, I can see how some people could argue about the Devs "not giving updates when there aren't any". I'll give NL a pass because it seems like it was a massive undertaking and maybe they are a bit under water. 
    I'm going to disagree with you on this point. I'd give NL dev updates a pass if they shared some incremental progress or an overall plan. We've seen some graphical weather components and a QoL graphical update for crafting that should have been added to prod anyway. If NL is supposed to be in Alpha in the middle of the year (which should be now), they should have been able to show us more than a couple of small graphic demos. 

They don't get a pass on NL because all we have heard is two things 1) It will be cool, trust us, and 2) oh, someone was out for six months, and that caused a significant development delay.

The irony is that because UO is a niche, there should be MORE communication than a larger MMO as the player base is smaller and more connected. 
  • WhitewolfWhitewolf Posts: 191
    this has been the number 1 complaint for a long time, no communication. pretty sure they are just goin to let UO slowly die, im guessing once it reaches a certain percentage player base they are just goin to shut the servers down. im expecting to log on and get that message one of this days.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,261
    BS was given a contract to support DAoC and UO so I would think before EA pulls the plug on UO they would call Rob into the main office for a little butt chewing and to tell him to fix it now or lose the contract.  You may well see a restructure at UO before they close the doors.  Also do not forget that BS is looking to pick up another game from EA so it would not look good for BS to let UO tank.
  • SaulGoodman1SaulGoodman1 Posts: 285
    Whitewolf said:
    this has been the number 1 complaint for a long time, no communication. pretty sure they are just goin to let UO slowly die, im guessing once it reaches a certain percentage player base they are just goin to shut the servers down. im expecting to log on and get that message one of this days.

I think bs are awaiting the SWTOR ppl to come and make them do some uo work. well i hope :)