Proposed Content Schedule for Every Year in Ultima Online

Nails_WarsteinNails_Warstein Posts: 129
edited July 2023 in General Discussions
Let's face it, players get anxious and concerned when nothing is happening in Ultima Online.  There should always be something different to do, a reason to login and play all year round.  A content schedule that the player base can rely and depend on will set their hearts and minds at ease.  It will maintain subscriptions, and help the community grow confident in the games health and future.  The following proposal is just a suggested outline.  This doesn't mean the Developers have to do any of it, but I do hope they will consider something like it.  

January & February the harrowing Mid-Winter Slump
1 - A New ToT in a different dungeon with all new rewards
2 - Add New Store Items (Mounts, Collections, Dyes)

March Madness
1 - Leprechaun/Fey Champ Spawn
2 - New Stealing Content
3 - New Veteran Rewards

April & May
1 - Popular Easter Egg & Rabbit Hunts
2 - Farming/Plant Challenge
3 - Update Spring Cleaning Collection System Turn-In Items & Rewards

June
1 - Summer Solstice Champ Spawn
2 - Add New Quests to the Town Crier and/or Heartwood
3 - Add a New Trade Order Reward for the Cities & Slim the Fence

July & August the dreaded Summer Bummer
1 - Another new ToT in a different dungeon with new rewards
2 - Update Minax/Blackthorn Rewards to Include Updated Artifacts from ToTs & Champ Spawns
2 - Add more New Store Items (Mounts, Collections, Dyes)

September Annual Anniversary
1 - Anniversary Champ Spawn (Maybe a Boss named after a Developer)
2 - Anniversary Party on Origin
3 - Anniversary Gift Token
4 - Update Bulk Order Deed Rewards

October Halloween Content
1 - Begging
2 - Graveyards
3 - Pumpkin Patches
4 - Mini-ToT in Doom, Deceit or Khaldun with couple new rewards & recycled rewards

November
1 - New Fishing & Hunting Content
2 - Update Library/Zoo/Museum/Add New Collections Reward System

December
1 - Holiday Gift Token
2 - Artisan Festival
3 - Krampus

Annual Global Arc Content Suggestions
1 - City Invasions
2 - City Feature Update
3 - Dungeon Feature Update
4 - Introduce New Mobs
5 - Add New Lore to the Game
6 - New Race
7 - New Land
8 - Incorporate New Legacy

Comments

• SkettSkett Posts: 1,406
    All sounds good. I think we would need at least one more person to add to the team….

;) 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited July 2023

March Madness
    1 -
    2 - New Stealing Content
    3 - New Veteran Rewards

4 - Mini-ToT in Doom, Deceit or Khaldun with couple new rewards & recycled rewards

November

4 - Introduce New Mobs
    6 - New Race
    7 - New Land

"Please NO new content,

just fix current content first please

can't even currently play with the game that is listed on https://uo.com/client-download/
    why you want all this new stuff?"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 2,029
    So much this 
  • JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 911
    Let's face it, players get anxious and concerned when nothing is happening in Ultima Online.  There should always be something different to do, a reason to login and play all year round.  A content schedule that the player base can rely and depend on will set their hearts and minds at ease.  It will maintain subscriptions, and help the community grow confident in the games health and future.  The following proposal is just a suggested outline.  This doesn't mean the Developers have to do any of it, but I do hope they will consider something like it.  

March Madness
    2 - New Stealing Content
    3 - New Veteran Rewards

April & May

June

2 - Update Minax/Blackthorn Rewards to Include Updated Artifacts from ToTs & Champ Spawns

1 - Begging
    2 - Graveyards
    3 - Pumpkin Patches

November

December
    1 - Holiday Gift Token
    2 - Artisan Festival
    3 - Krampus

1 - City Invasions
    2 - City Feature Update
    4 - Introduce New Mobs
    6 - New Race
    7 - New Land
    YES to all of this!
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,845
    I tend to agree with Yoshi. I'd prefer they finish up with NL and then spend the next 2 years 

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• RockoRocko Posts: 174

One of the best, if not the best suggestion I have seen on this forum.  Thank you for posting this.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,170
    Rocko said:

One of the best, if not the best suggestion I have seen on this forum.  Thank you for posting this.
    Agree 100%. The outline of ideas was excellent and expands on what I've been saying for the past year or so that we should have more alternating content throughout the year. Even if the content is a bit recycled each year (ie April is usually a planting event) it would be welcomed if every month or 2 had something else new. That way if someone doesn't like a particular month, they will have something different to look forward to in another month or two.
    edited July 2023
    “Let us see, last publish 115
    Salvage Station – 7 Year
    • Allows salvaging metal, cloth, and leather without the need for tools or additional house addons

During testing, was reported that does not work for altered (gargoyle) armor.

Shipped, without being fixed. There is no QA.

New content will just be more bugs”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited July 2023
    “You would maybe think okay they fix issues in next publish so let’s look at pub 114 to see if those bugs been fixed in pub 115:

Defeat the undead armies to recover Artifacts of the Archlich which can be exchanged for a variety of rewards,
    • Mantle of the Archlich
    When you use transmog potion on this, (which people buy for real money from store) you cannot repair if transmogged onto parrot or hooded robe or tabard, prob others too. Still not fixed today.

No QA department for this game at all “
    I tend to agree with Yoshi. I'd prefer they finish up with NL and then spend the next 2 years 

NL vaporware and this team has proven incapable of fixing bugs at least give us something to do 
    Grimbeard said:

NL vaporware and this team has proven incapable of fixing bugs at least give us something to do 
    I'm going to have to ask this, has there been an official announcement that NL is Vaporware? 

Grimbeard said:

I'm going to have to ask this, has there been an official announcement that NL is Vaporware? 

there's been zero communication of any kind regarding it 
    Grimbeard said:
    Grimbeard said:

So no official announcement that it's vaporware. then I stand by my statement. 

Grimbeard said:
    Grimbeard said:

You know i hope 
    You're right but it doesn't look good at this point 
    Grimbeard said:
    Grimbeard said:
    Grimbeard said:

You know i hope 
    You're right but it doesn't look good at this point 
    Maybe not my friend, but until they announce that NL is dead I will keep a positive outlook. 

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,112
    Like Joe Bidens Great Grand Mammy used to say,  Don't fret over things you have no control over.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    That was kamala harris who said that @Pawain
  • WhitewolfWhitewolf Posts: 191
    im goin to have to agree with Yoshi on this one, lets fix the game and content with have first please. course im pretty sure this falls on deaf ears, kinda like when i tell my kids to take the trash out.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904

March Madness
    2 - New Stealing Content
    3 - New Veteran Rewards

April & May

June

1 - Begging
    2 - Graveyards
    3 - Pumpkin Patches

November

December
    1 - Holiday Gift Token
    2 - Artisan Festival
    3 - Krampus

1 - City Invasions
    2 - City Feature Update
    4 - Introduce New Mobs
    6 - New Race
    7 - New Land
    Excellent post!

If they plan on finishing NLS, then they need additional resources for that investment.

And not to use existing resource at the expense of current shard users that still support the game. My 3 Accounts are fully paid to 2024 and NLS is not even on my list of reasons.

Bug fixing is always part of the job, not 100% of the Dev time. 

Existing Dev resources should spend like 75% upgrading current content, and 25% fixing bugs.

NLS should have another 100% resource fully focused just on that and we would have already completed Season 1 of NLS today. 

So cheap. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    edited July 2023

If we use that line of thinking... has there been any official announcement on any pending fixes or unfixed bugs in the game? Head of testing, Misk, hasn't confirmed there are currently any bugs in the pipeline so I guess that means everything is working as intended? 

The lack of communication could be taken both ways.

Whitewolf said:
    im goin to have to agree with Yoshi on this one, lets fix the game and content with have first please. 
    Do you have an example of specific game mechanics / content that we have now that needs fixed first? I'm not trying to say there aren't bugs is in the game because there are a bunch, but I can't think of any bug that has some sort of large scale impact (ie the targeting alliance issue primarily for Fel PvP in group play. I played in Fel solo without any impact). Just my personal opinion but I think that lack of fresh content is likely more of a factor for people quitting than the bugs in the game. I would argue there is a work around for most bugs (whether it be facet or client alternatives) whereas there is not for lack of fresh content in the past 6 months (there has only been 1 "new" thing to do which was 2 months).

I think it's also worth noting that most of everything suggested by the OP are things we currently have the structure in place for (ie dynamic content / previously used events) so it's not like we are talking about reinventing the wheel. I think that there should be enough time for bug fixes AND reoccurring content; it doesn't need to be one or the other.
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 646
    My initial response to Nail's list was wow, this is a nice and thought out schedule. I appreciate your efforts in putting this together Nails.

My opinion is that until we know what the heck is going on, until we hear something from the Dev team about the current priorities it's really hard to dream about potential new stuff being added to our game.

For the past year my dream has been that we would still have a game, as is, that's still alive in another year. Yes, NL would be nice, yes, bugs getting fixed would be nice, yes, removing scripters would be nice. Outside of that, I would enjoy the game as I have enjoyed it for years now. If we got new content after the foundation has been fixed I'd be impressed.

As been stated nothing nails listed is NEW most was created for fast deployment so as to not drain NL resources..
    keven2002 said:

If we use that line of thinking... has there been any official announcement on any pending fixes or unfixed bugs in the game? Head of testing, Misk, hasn't confirmed there are currently any bugs in the pipeline so I guess that means everything is working as intended? 

As I said, until they actually announce that NL is cancelled it isn’t. I’ll go with that and avoid the negativity and drama. And if they actually do cancel it, so be it. It wouldn’t be the first project they’ve cancelled. 

• Nails_WarsteinNails_Warstein Posts: 129
    edited July 2023
    My intent is to refresh all the old content to keep it relevant and worth doing spaced out throughout the year to keep players logged in.  The Artisan Festival rewards is the perfect model, I participate in that every year on multiple shards.  They planned that out well to add new rewards to that every year.  All they have to do is add at least 2 new things at minimum to something old already in the game every year.  

2 New ToTs Set of Rewards
    2 New Champ Spawns
    2 New Store Items
    2 New Anniversary Rewards
    2 New Holiday Rewards
    2 New Stealable Items
    2 New Veteran Rewards
    2 New Spring Cleaning Rewards
    2 New Plant Rewards
    2 New City Trade Quest Rewards
    2 New Blackthorn/Minax Artifact Rewards
    2 New Doom/ToL/Eodon/Illshenar Artifact Rewards
    2 New Bulk Order Deed Rewards
    2 New Craftable Items
    2 New Begging Items
    2 New Pumpkin Carvings
    2 New Graveyard Butcher Items
    2 New Fishing/Shipwreck/Treasure Hunting
    2 New Huntmaster Challenge Trophies/Rewards
    2 New Library/Zoo/Museum Rewards
    2 New Obsidian Statue Bust Names
    2 New Krampus Rewards
    2 New Artisan Rewards

Up to almost 45 new different items to add to the game so far if they do 2 items minimum per each of the suggested old content collection systems, that's less than the approximately 300 new event items Events add to the game each year.  If the Devs come to the player base to ask us what we want from each of these old reward systems, I am sure we can submit lots of ideas, and make them worth doing.

• SaulGoodman1SaulGoodman1 Posts: 285

Kyronix reads and ponders all the requested new changes and replies...

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,352
    My intent is to refresh all the old content to keep it relevant and worth doing spaced out throughout the year to keep players logged in.  The Artisan Festival rewards is the perfect model, I participate in that every year on multiple shards.  They planned that out well to add new rewards to that every year.  All they have to do is add at least 2 new things at minimum to something old already in the game every year.  

2 New ToTs Set of Rewards
    2 New Champ Spawns
    2 New Store Items
    2 New Anniversary Rewards
    2 New Holiday Rewards
    2 New Stealable Items
    2 New Veteran Rewards
    2 New Spring Cleaning Rewards
    2 New Plant Rewards
    2 New City Trade Quest Rewards
    2 New Blackthorn/Minax Artifact Rewards
    2 New Doom/ToL/Eodon/Illshenar Artifact Rewards
    2 New Bulk Order Deed Rewards
    2 New Craftable Items
    2 New Begging Items
    2 New Pumpkin Carvings
    2 New Graveyard Butcher Items
    2 New Fishing/Shipwreck/Treasure Hunting
    2 New Huntmaster Challenge Trophies/Rewards
    2 New Library/Zoo/Museum Rewards
    2 New Obsidian Statue Bust Names
    2 New Krampus Rewards
    2 New Artisan Rewards

Up to almost 45 new different items to add to the game so far if they do 2 items minimum per each of the suggested old content collection systems, that's less than the approximately 300 new event items Events add to the game each year.  If the Devs come to the player base to ask us what we want from each of these old reward systems, I am sure we can submit lots of ideas, and make them worth doing.

I don't think that would work unless they also removed some of the older rewards where there is an element of chance involved in getting the drop. The Krampus rewards, as an example, get harder and harder to get as the pool of possible rewards expands. This discourages people from taking part in the event. There becomes an attitude of 'I'm never going to get that, so why bother?'
    The chance for getting the new rewards needs to be increased for the first season 
    edited July 2023
    keven2002 said:

As I said, until they actually announce that NL is cancelled it isn’t. I’ll go with that and avoid the negativity and drama. And if they actually do cancel it, so be it. It wouldn’t be the first project they’ve cancelled. 
    I'd agree with the first part (NL unfortunately isn't canceled at this point) but wouldn't consider it being negative by calling it vaporware after 3 years with nothing aside from half a dozen screenshots to show progress. 

I also understand projects don't always progress as designed and sometimes they get canceled. There comes a time where the project manager (or whoever is in charge) needs to cut their losses. At some point they need to say resources should be spent elsewhere. It's now 3 years into the NL project with very little to show (they haven't even told us how basic concepts like skill gains will work) so I'd say we have arrived at that time. Wasting anymore resources on a project that appears to be a failure would be irresponsible. That said, we aren't even asking for them to cancel NL at this point, we just want some Prod love in the form of reoccurring content that has the pre-existing coding there.

My biggest issue with NL up to this point is that the Dev team uses it as the scapegoat of why the rest of the production game has been set to maintenance mode; "we are fully focused on NL". So for the past 3 years we've received limited cookie cutter events; the lack of effort on Prod is obvious and has become beyond frustrating. My opinion is that the lack of new things to do/get in the game is going to be more of a detriment to the game than NL will be a savior (people that might be interested are going to quit before it ever comes out...if it does). But again, nobody is really saying we need all brand new content and to re-invent the wheel with what we are getting in Prod; we just want similar content we have been getting just more frequently than 2-3 times a year.

The least this Dev team could do is to give some fresh content that cycles on a monthly/bimonthly basis to keep the people happy that are just looking for something "new" to do. 
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,210
    Call me old fashioned but i don't understand not trying to give 100% at whatever you do. 

If the current state is all there is going forward they could at least say so. 
    keven2002 said:
    keven2002 said:

I'd agree with the first part (NL unfortunately isn't canceled at this point) but wouldn't consider it being negative by calling it vaporware after 3 years with nothing aside from half a dozen screenshots to show progress. 

I also understand projects don't always progress as designed and sometimes they get canceled. There comes a time where the project manager (or whoever is in charge) needs to cut their losses. At some point they need to say resources should be spent elsewhere. It's now 3 years into the NL project with very little to show (they haven't even told us how basic concepts like skill gains will work) so I'd say we have arrived at that time. Wasting anymore resources on a project that appears to be a failure would be irresponsible. That said, we aren't even asking for them to cancel NL at this point, we just want some Prod love in the form of reoccurring content that has the pre-existing coding there.

My biggest issue with NL up to this point is that the Dev team uses it as the scapegoat of why the rest of the production game has been set to maintenance mode; "we are fully focused on NL". So for the past 3 years we've received limited cookie cutter events; the lack of effort on Prod is obvious and has become beyond frustrating. My opinion is that the lack of new things to do/get in the game is going to be more of a detriment to the game than NL will be a savior (people that might be interested are going to quit before it ever comes out...if it does). But again, nobody is really saying we need all brand new content and to re-invent the wheel with what we are getting in Prod; we just want similar content we have been getting just more frequently than 2-3 times a year.

The least this Dev team could do is to give some fresh content that cycles on a monthly/bimonthly basis to keep the people happy that are just looking for something "new" to do. 
    I agree with a lot of what you say here, I want Bugs stomped out, some different content, and changes, but until NL is done (however that manifests) we have what we have. and a side note, I wasn't actually pointing my finger at you on the negativity and drama, more just saying I will avoid it and refrain from doing it myself. I have enough negativity in my real life at the moment and don't need another place where it manifests itself.