Bring back disarm before re-arm

Somewhere with the introduction of EC and the classic client option “use previous weapon” I believe we’ve lost an important feature of the game. That is the requirement to disarm your current weapon before arming a new weapon. (The same is true for equipment however let me talk about weapons)

Before this change, you would be very selective about your choice of weapon. Now it’s basically like carrying one weapon with the ability to perform absolutely any special attack, since you can swap without consequence.

Aside from being unrealistic (okay we’re in a world of magic) I believe this change has taken away an interesting part of the game. And I think a 1 second of disarm should be re-introduced to swap weapons. 
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,047
    There is no need for this change.  If you want to do that.  Do it for your toon.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    Let me stir the pot further, let us talk about balanced weapons. 
    The property “balanced” is to allow you to drink a potion, however you can’t parry and evade with balanced weapons, you’re supposed to choose parry/evade or potions. Well with the ability to insta switch weap without disarming, you switch, pot, switch back with no loss of defence/parry/evade. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

I hear too many complaining about disarmers already. Now you want to add self disarming?  I do not see this as a benefit to PvP.  I have a feeling you want the change to get an upper hand on another playstyle,

Do not see this idea as a positive for UO.
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 228
    Sounds like we just need to get rid of potions then!
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

edited May 2018
    Well actually thanks Pawain this would solve 2 issues with disarm. 

1. players would again have a penalty for switching to a disarming weapon (so it’s not so eassy to disarm someone then switch to a bow an AI for example)

2. If you’re disarmed yourself you can use it as an opportunity to change weapon. 

As for the comment about me wishing to get the upper hand on another play style, I play many templates. And here is a video of me doing exactly what I am posting about that predates this thread.

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/comment/6898/#Comment_6898

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    How long does it take you in RL to drop one weapon and grab another?  If you are prepared it takes no time what so ever.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    This is sounding like another PvP request that will harm PvMrs, which is usually the case.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    It is a request for both pvm and pvp. It’s a request to enhance the game. 

The devs spent time and thought into giving different weapons different special moves. This is currently being circumvented by the ability to perform any special at any time. 

• CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 895
    edited May 2018
    Honestly, I think they should just completely untie Weapon Special moves to the weapon itself, and allow players with 90-100-110-120 weapon skill and 30-60 tactics to "cast" whatever special they want as long as they have enough skill points allocated.

Obviously ranged weapons wouldn't have any specials they don't already have access to, as well as melee weapons not having access to any "ranged-only" specials

Then one could use whichever weapon they want, instead of using them based on which specials they have.   It would also remove much of a dexers Predictability, which is a weakness IMO.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
    Mervyn said:

The devs spent time and thought into giving different weapons different special moves. This is currently being circumvented by the ability to perform any special at any time. 
    Enhance whos game, where do you come up with this stuff that you know what enhances the game for everybody.  If you want a delay than please by all means use your mouse to disarm and then rearm yourself.  You might want to put your weapons in different boxes to make it even slower.
  • KronalKronal Posts: 84
    edited May 2018
    Mervyn said:

Enhance.... I don't think that word means what you think it means.
    edited May 2018
    Kronal said:
    Mervyn said:
    It is a request for both pvm and pvp. It’s a request to enhance my game

I fixed it so you would know he knows exactly what it means.  Anything he asks for it is always about him first.
  • KronalKronal Posts: 84
    Bilbo said:
    Kronal said:
    Mervyn said:

I fixed it so you would know he knows exactly what it means.  Anything he asks for it is always about him first.
    I was channeling my inner fezzik
  • TimTim Posts: 796
    edited May 2018
    I think I'm missing something as I remember it my weapon switch macro just had "disarm" or "unequip" before equip item. So it's really not any quicker today then it was before.

Note I've only ever used the client macro systems Not add on programs.
    Bilbo said:
    Kronal said:
    Mervyn said:

I don’t actually know who you are or where you’ve reached this conclusion. Please can you give an example. I think I’ve been clear on my reasoning for the additional of a disarm requirement. I’m assuming you’re against the idea? Any particular reason? as I can’t actually see from your posts, they just seem like personal attacks to me.

• DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    Tim said:
    I think I'm missing something as I remember it my weapon switch macro just had "disarm" or "unequip" before equip item. So it's really not any quicker today then it was before.

I'm not sure about the pensioners client but in enhanced client you have a switch to last weapon option without disarming. 
    Tim said:

In the EC and with non legal CC programs (or using the “use previous weapon” macro in CC that works for 1 weapon) you’re able to switch weap without disarming now. As ridiculous as it sounds, this is apparently the new norm and any suggestion otherwise seems to make some people require their safe space.

Mervyn said:
    Tim said:

In the EC and with non legal CC programs (or using the “use previous weapon” macro in CC that works for 1 weapon) you’re able to switch weap without disarming now. As ridiculous as it sounds, this is apparently the new norm and any suggestion otherwise seems to make some people require their safe space.

That is a lie because the way you say it means you can have more than one weapon armed and pick the one you want.  Before any weapon can be armed there must be a free space for it no matter how short or long that time is.  Just because it appears instantly to the eye does not mean squat.
    Mervyn said:
    Bilbo said:
    Kronal said:
    Mervyn said:

I don’t actually know who you are or where you’ve reached this conclusion. Please can you give an example. I think I’ve been clear on my reasoning for the additional of a disarm requirement. I’m assuming you’re against the idea? Any particular reason? as I can’t actually see from your posts, they just seem like personal attacks to me.
    Every post you have about enhancing the game is all about you and your style of play and could care less how it affects other players.  Alls you are trying to do is make it where PvMers are at more of a disadvantage when switching weapons when defending against raiders and we all know that you love to raid spawns and kill PvMers which by the way you already have your player killer weap armed so we all know what this is really about and please don't try to BS us with your blah blah blah.  This is all about you and wanting the upper hand.
    Wow, I really don’t know where to start. But I’ll try.

You’re suggesting that PvMers are mostly warriors? I personally use a necro to work champs as do many. Have you maybe thought that those that are raiding could be also switching weapons instantly to kill these pvmers?

I really can’t see how the change I suggested will affect one class of players more than another, as demonstrated in my video it would affect mages just as equally. The only people who would not be affected would be maybe wrestle mages, but even then, they would be affected when swapping slayer spell books. 

This is one of the strangest responses to a thread I’ve ever read. 

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,339
    Just curious, how long did it take you to dream up this non-issue to annoy people with?  A one second delay would do very little, and is required in any weapons swapping macro other than the straightforward 'equip last weapon', which is available in both clients.
    I didn’t dream it up, I simply rember you used to have to disarm before you re-arm. This is why people would choose mace fighting or swords or fencing, as you would put some thought into the type of weapon you carry, rather than just carry everything and perform any special at any time. 

Have you tried to equip something in your paper doll while you already have something equipped? 

You need to disarm the current piece of equipment first. Why is this stage bypassed when you assign equip to a macro? 

I am not saying the “equip last weapon” macro should be excluded from having to disarm first, not at all. 

Bilbo said:
    Mervyn said:
    Tim said:

That is a lie because the way you say it means you can have more than one weapon armed and pick the one you want.  Before any weapon can be armed there must be a free space for it no matter how short or long that time is.  Just because it appears instantly to the eye does not mean squat.
    I’m not sure what you mean, it’s possible in EC to switch to any weapon without having to disarm your current weapon first. 

edited May 2018
    Mervyn said:
    Bilbo said:
    Mervyn said:
    Tim said:

I’m not sure what you mean, it’s possible in EC to switch to any weapon without having to disarm your current weapon first. 
    Again another false statement.  Just because you can not see the weapon you are currently using disarm does not mean it does not before the other weapon is armed.  You are trying to say that in the EC you may have 2 weapons armed at the same time which proves you do not know what you are talking about.  According to you in the EC all weapons are armed and all you are doing is selecting which weapon is used and displayed.
    lol

"Equip Last Weapon"  was put in the game by the developers.  It is a feature, not a bug.  Leave it as is.

I notice there is no poll attached to this.  There would be 1 vote in the remove the feature category if there was.

I did not claim it was a bug, I haven’t posted it in the bug section. Also, why would I attach a poll? 
    People are idiots, they have no clue about what they want and what is good for them. 
    It’s like doing a poll asking: shall we give you 100 million gold? People would vote yes and not care about the economy and inflation. This is how we ended up with brittle items with 255/255 durability and now people are complaining that crafters aren’t as useful as they used to be... go figure.

So in your mind you are the self appointed savior, because believe me when I say no one ask you to be. of the masses playing UO.  And what is really funny is the example you use about crafters proves even more how truly clueless you are.  You know nothing about programming and it is obvious that you are totally clueless as to how fast a computer can do things.  You really think that a computer program does not remove something before it replaces it with another item in that location.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,339
    Mervyn said:

People are idiots, they have no clue about what they want and what is good for them. 

The total arrogance of that statement leaves me speechless. You should be a politician.
    Can I count on your vote Petra? 

This discussion has been closed.