You study the map but need more time to decode it ?

Tokuno Cache map..GM cartography, 10 times now trying to decode it ? Is this a new change ? Am I missing some new step ? After 10 "you study" attempts, then I failed twice and finally decoded it ??
You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited May 2023
    I just stick them in a locker to see the coords, then take it with me to dig it up.

The lockpicking messages are silly also. And at GM you can fail a lot on paragon chests or others.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    Tokuno Cache map..GM cartography, 10 times now trying to decode it ? Is this a new change ? Am I missing some new step ? After 10 "you study" attempts, then I failed twice and finally decoded it ??
    I had one today that I had to put on the ground to decode. it would not decode in however many thousand tries i clicked it over a 30 minute period. i put it on the ground and decoded first click. I hate that mechanic.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Has the mechanic for reading maps changed since the current event started?  Before the event, I just clicked on any map in any backpack including my characters.  I never put a map on the ground first. I have noticed now that some maps take forever to decode while most others of the same level only take one or two try’s.  But, have always be able to decode any treasure map in under 5 minutes.  I use EC.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    It's all everyone else's fault 
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    That's the message when you've left a map to re-set.  I usually wait a few minutes before trying again. I don't know if the map has to be out of the locker before it can establish a new location.
    I usually succeed on that second, later, attempt. I don't think I've failed to read a new map more than 3 times before a success. I admit to being puzzled.

I'm not sure why you are having so much more trouble than my character. Do you have a cartography talisman and/or mapmaker glasses?
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    That's the message when you've left a map to re-set.  I usually wait a few minutes before trying again. I don't know if the map has to be out of the locker before it can establish a new location.
    I usually succeed on that second, later, attempt. I don't think I've failed to read a new map more than 3 times before a success. I admit to being puzzled.

I'm not sure why you are having so much more trouble than my character. Do you have a cartography talisman and/or mapmaker glasses?
    It's also the message you get when you first take a Map out of a treasure chest. I haven't had much trouble with maps until recently. It has been a little quirky lately, or I was lucky until now. Who knows.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    edited May 2023

The maps I was doing at the time have never been in a locker, they came out of pack I had locked down. I blame vendor search, that sounds like a joke but apparently there's a Tmap server that's activated when you click on maps for the first time, and if the server(s) is busy doing something else, there's a chance of extended delays ? Sounds silly, but wouldn't surprise me if it were close to the truth.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    edited May 2023
    Could be a server thing.  That makes some sense.  Sometimes when all the maps in a backpack reset , I will just read one after another to check their locations so I can group the ones that are near each other.  Lately, maybe last six months or so, after reading half a dozen or so I get one that just hangs up.  Over and over it fails to read.  Then things go back to normal.  It’s usually just momentary but it is a little frustrating.  Could be a server hanging up.  Not talking about a long time or over 100 attempts though.  More like just a few minutes if that long.  Have never timed it or counted attempts but did recognize it is a new behavior.  Have decoded lots of maps and until recently never had to click on one more than a half dozen times to open new or reset maps.  Vast majority just one or two clicks, maybe just one.