Gathering of a Coven

As siblings we are each as different as night and day. Cadence shows so many traits of the Good Witch, caring and nurturing. Gabriella was more of a siren type of a Witch from the sea, a lot like the stories I heard of Gran Pappys Youth, then there's me, my unsettled nature my restlessness the uncertainty of who I really am perhaps reckless and kooky. We are strong together, but yet still lacking something in our magics. Dailey I see sailors or pirates docking at the sea market at the Fens, I watch them closely not saying much yet when some arrive, I feel stronger magics around me, those are the ones who return week after week, like they are drawn to us. This particular day a young boy hopped off one of the Fishermans ships, wandering around the village not uttering a word, but I watch him, he doesn't seem old enough to be on his own yet old enough to know the results of his actions. I followed him but I did not want to appear as if I were so as he stood among the shops of Toadsuck I duck into the doll shop, after all one can never have too many VooDoo Dolls and its tiring making them all myself, as I watch the boy through the windows of the Doll Shop I notice he waited till the BBQ Gator salesman was tending to the cooking gator, I notice the boy stuff sandwiches from the counter into his pockets. Hungry can lead one to steal and for that I couldn't tattle on him so I decide to follow him. He wandered towards the Inn and sat on the deck outside by the time I had caught up to him I had decided to teach him a lesson. Standing before him I ask "What is your name boy?" as the youth looked up at me shoving the food into his mouth he muttered " Aint got one", frowning at the boy I replied, "Everyone has  a name, now common what is your name?" and again the boy answers " I AINT got none" , "Ok fine...... and where are your parents" I said as I jerked him up by his collar, the boy began to answer again with "I aint got none" and as I started to cast the Toad spell, then I realize what am I doing he is just a kid, " Ok fine Im going to call you The Latch-Key Kid " smirking at the boy. "Now you got some work ta do" saying to the boy as I drag him back to the BBQ Gator shop. Sneaking in the back of the shop I shove the boy inside, as the cook glares at me " Here ya go you been complaining for weeks you needed counter help, well I got ya some and he owes ya for that sandwich". walking away from the shop I felt that strength I get when others of magic are near, hmm, the boy must have magic powers. Like I felt the night Micar checked into the Inn, like the night I met my sisters, smiling as I walk home my thoughts were clear, This is the beginning of a Coven......

~by Phoebe Nox
Jaden Rain

Comments

• Bickering, we all do it, one is lying if they say they never disagree with someone. Knowing such My Sisters and I bicker, as i sit and blink my eyes, I listen to both sides and try to understand each but really if I say something I will only offend the other. Thank the higher powers I was blessed to have a charge like Latch. As the tension builds around my Sisters I find the opportunity to duck out of the room and grab Latch by the scuff of his neck and RUN. Reaching the docks of the Fens, panting and out of breath I scuff Latch's Head, while the hood on his robe drops and a more softer look about the short haired lad is in view. With a somewhat puzzled look on my face, I tilt my head peering into the eyes of a softer looking Latch with extremely long eye lashes. "oh wow" I blurted out then continued. " I just assumed you were a boy but uhhh....", as Latch finished my sentence with " I didn't want to make you mad so I didn't correct you, life is somewhat safer when everyone thinks I'm a boy". Smiling at Latch, she just left me speechless. " Well now, it makes no difference to me that you are a girl so let's just let you uncover that secret when you are ready to with everyone else." Pulling from my pocket, candy, I hand Latch some and we sat watching the water splash against the docks. Just days ago I had dragged Latch into the sewers with a few others, Gabriella and Moon, and we had set out on trying to find clues for the missing X Governor, Jaden Rain. Her sister had hired us to follow up on the fact she had learned the former Governors servant had been suspected in the kidnapping of the Dragon Lady. While they complained of the smells and the fact their shoes were getting yukky, I found the place not so bad, a lot like the swamps, gators everywhere and TOADs, and you know I love Toads. Actually, bullfrogs but hey same family, right? We revealed the drainage of the sewer and when floating under the massive gate blocking it I could hear singing and music calling us and the sounds of the sea. There seemed to be nobody in the sewer, but I had found a torn piece of cloth from the Dragon ladies Dress, very distinctive piece of fabric that had been dyed by the royal seamstress' I knew it was hers, everyone knew she preferred that cloth for her clothing. Hurriedly we made way to the docks. Why hire a ship when many times just borrowing one suffices, and we did find a small tokuno ship unlocked just waiting for an adventure. Helping them all on board, Latch starts to mention, " ..but isnt this stealing?". Slowly placing my finger to my lips, "Shhh.....we are just borrowing it" we sailed the shoreline of the city and what appeared to be water spewing from the shoreline I suggest that was probably the drain of the sewer, looking at the two ladies who had come along to help I notice Moons little nose curled up and her face scrunched up frowning. " Oh, its ok nothing a lil soap and water won't fix." as the current drifted the boat east, we floated along for some time. The sun was warm that day and the smell of the sewer was cooking upon us all. Poor Kid, Latch probably thinks I'm a crazed lady. Ahead we could see land so we began to paddle the boat towards the land. The Cliffs around the island were steep and we couldnt depart the ship so we floated along the shore until we found a spot we could hop off. The jungle trees caught my skirt tails and tucking the skirt into my waist band seemed to help alot. Buildings were ahead of us and the first building we made it to seemed deserted, so we went inside anyway, and oh what a great place it was but big vats of hot water and soaps with scents so sweet, and you know ladies, yes, I found my companions, emerged neck deep in a bubbling bath. " Oh Geez ladies we are looking for the Dragon lady " my words were not noticed by either of the two grown ladies giggling and washing the sewer smell off themselves. I wasn't event going to try to stop them, the smell was awful. As I stepped into a vat of hot water, I myself was pleased with the discovery of this place. " Man, if Jaden did escape that sewer and drifted here who would want to leave...". Drying off we still had to wear the smelly clothes but that was quite enjoyable. Wandering out of the building we heard voices of men ahead and Moon was like a blood hound and found the voices, Militia and with a short conversation with the tall blonde-haired man, Moon and I both could not keep our eyes off of him, we had learned we were at Bucs Den. Looking at Moon, "That blonde is very handsome isnt he?". Nodding to me Moon agreed. He had informed us there had been rumbling in the sea for a few days and reports had come to his ears of Sirens were spotted near the island and visitors were camped out at the docks. The Blonde Man pointed towards the east across a bridge and told us the bank was across the bridge and the docks were behind it, and of course we went. There were several men there and what came next was intense, the fishers on the docks had been afraid to go out to fish for days over the rumbling sea and rumors of Sirens, looking at My Sister Gabriella, she was playing nonchalant. as I smirk at her she smiled. As I was speaking to the fishermen who were fishing from the docks since they were to afraid to go out on ships, he was sucked into the water by whatever was on the end of the pole in his hands. Backing away from the edge of the docks a massive angry creature lunges towards us and up onto the edge of the docks, with claw like hands and extremely angry and the battle began, as the creature tried to deflect the spells cast on it a loud cough from the monster and a pink dressed woman lay on the dock, grabbing her up I drag her further away up on the shore making sure she was alright and propping her against a tree, soon as I determined she would be alright I returned to help fight the monster of the sea, and the battles continued for quite awhile. Grabbing up Latch because the child had no business in the middle of the fight, I instruct him to care for the Dragon Lady to keep them both safe from harm....Finally the beasts were dead laying on the docks of Bucs Den and Latch and I took the Dragon Lady home to her worried family, still half delirious from her ordeal of the kidnapping and sea monsters all she kept mumbling was something about a goblin .....
    Jaden Rain
  • There is a Storm Brewing and the Sea roars. The beasts we slay days ago at Bucs Den, I feel were only the beginning of something and the magics in the air since then have been powerful around me. The ruins of the Paws was drawing strong energy from the sea, passing through My Shop today I could feel it. Springtime was always a time of new growth and new beginnings and the storms this year were building fiercely; I only hope with me living close to the shoreline my home and shop would be safe. I need lumber and supplies brought in in case of hurricanes and typhons. No Storms yet but something is drawing the storms to the Fens. Could it possibly have something to do with the beasts that spat the Dragon lady from the sea or was she just collateral damage of the storm building or the Great magics I was feeling in the Fens. Either way the fact was I needed supplies and lumber to cover windows from the upcoming storms. I could send a messenger Owl to Yew asking Governor Gaven, if he could spare sending some lumber to the Fens and possibly wool for cloth for blankets. Hopefully he remembers me and is in a good mood. Then there are rumors of raiders taking cargo from pirates, *laughing* how ironic pirates are getting raided. We could pursue that as well until word comes from yew. The Coven has been very helpful in preparing for the spring storms but even they avoid the ruins of the Paws, we need to capture that energy and magic and learn to use it to our advantage.....
    Jaden Rain
  • Storms are hitting the Fens, the rage of those against us burns fierce and the Coven yet grows. The pull of Magics in the swamps is strong and protects those who dwell there. The sea seems to boil with anger towards the pirates stealing from the crown, and yet the King supports them. Perhaps maybe the King is truly the evil man I had suspected of him.I suppose sometimes one has to fight evil with evil and that too can be accomplished if need be. My Mothers presence also grows, Persephone was once a force to reckon with Pappy used to say. Strong willed and determined as a child. Somehow, I feel it's her spirit sparking this magic around us. Last night I felt her presence strong at the bonfire and her protecting those she loved. Alliances with the Brotherhood is needed right now, and my fondness of Gavan helps that. I do know a great war could break out in the swamps in trying to grow from this magical force erupting from the Fens. I shall prepare for what is brought my way. Today it rains and in nature's way washing away what was brought into our lands last night the foul aura of Pirates. Yes, it is known I have had dealings with pirates. Sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do to survive, and that I shall do. Just I am picky with what pirates I have dealings with and chose the ones best suited for the purpose I need them for. Now it's time to search out the seas for the pirates I need for the job in hand, protecting the Fens and transporting the goods I require, ones who can defeat the pirates who plague us and plot against us. The ones the Storms of the Sea are sending to help us, the ones yet to arrive. I believe the Storms are sending us a larger Covan.

Jaden Rain