My Davies' Locker was Destroyed and the GM ...

Something happened to my Davies' Locker, it was destroyed. It had about 57 maps in it. I tried to deed it back up by using a "Two Handed Axe" on it. Each part of the Davies' Locker I used the axe on disappeared. I paged a GM and he/she said they could not fix it, nor could they replace the broken davies' locker, or the maps in it.  He/she said they could not retrieve any of the maps in it either. The GM said all they could do was mention it.

So I'm kinda miffed...

Comments

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    This player beware stuff happens all the time in this game.  Guessing it loses more players than it gains but what happened to you just verifies the anti player culture of this game.  Seen discussions like this one just to often.
  • MerusMerus Posts: 656
    edited April 2023
    I do not believe it is possible to place a Locker (or any other multi-tile addon) on anything but a level surface.  If you, as a player create a level surface using gozas, pavers, etc. in order to place them on something besides the normal floor of your house you risk the surface becoming unlevel, which breaks the addon.  If you try and axe it in its unlevel or broken state the pieces get destroyed.  

This has been a known issue for a very long time.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Was it on Gozas or paver floor?  The only reason you would be able to chop individual pieces is because it was not flat.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “I replace lost items
    (can’t replace the maps)
    pm me shard details”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    I'm afraid that's the risk you take when you choose to place an item above the normal floor level.  All the pieces must be on the same 'z' co-ordinate or the item will break instead of re-deeding. The item loss therefore comes down to 'user error'.

If in doubt always use a decorating tool on all parts of the item and lower them till you get the 'can't go lower' message.
  • RockoRocko Posts: 174
    If the item was properly placed (i.e. not on a goza) then BS should replace it.  
    edited April 2023
    Mariah said:
    I'm afraid that's the risk you take when you choose to place an item above the normal floor level.  All the pieces must be on the same 'z' co-ordinate or the item will break instead of re-deeding. The item loss therefore comes down to 'user error'.

If in doubt always use a decorating tool on all parts of the item and lower them till you get the 'can't go lower' message.
    “Lol where is this written please?

yeah let’s blame innocent people for uobugs

how you can seriously blame user for this? They place item, item lays…they try and move item by redeeding with axe..
    if position it is layed is in position that it can’t be redeeded, it should not lay OR axe should not destroy.

you are serious troll for blame user error

@Nazghoul_Mortis I replace your item and compensate you gold for lost maps, forget this comment please it’s not your fault at all”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited April 2023
    “In fact save me the effort of writing bug report and just move this thread to bugs”
    Yoshi said:
    Mariah said:

“Lol where is this written please?

yeah let’s blame innocent people for uobugs

how you can seriously blame user for this? They place item, item lays…they try and move item by redeeding with axe..
    if position it is layed is in position that it can’t be redeeded, it should not lay OR axe should not destroy.

you are serious troll for blame user error

@ Nazghoul_Mortis I replace your item and compensate you gold for lost maps, forget this comment please it’s not your fault at all”
    Whether intend or not, the ability to use gozas to break items for decoration purposes is very, very often used on purpose to achieve certain designs.  I would not classify this as a bug, and changing it would mess with way more people than accidentally lose an item.
    "you mean using exploit to make big soul forge into small soul forge?

How you're expecting every player to know about this issue and not to use axe on item when it is not even listed anywhere in the bug forum, or on wiki?"
    People who know how to decorate using goza mats are usually aware of the way they are used. Decorating in this way is demonstrated in numerous tutorials on Stratics, dedicated decor sites and, yes, on this wiki. https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/houses-placing-a-house/house-ownership-6-house-decorating-the-basics/decorating-with-goza-mats-the-long-bar/
    As far as I know, only you consider it to be an 'exploit'.
    Perhaps the OP was not aware. I am. If I axe something that is not on the level and it breaks, then 'my bad'. I knew what would happen so it's user error.
    This 'user', apparently, did not know. However it was still his action that broke it.

edited April 2023
    " i read that page, it says no warning about losing deeded item if you axe it.
    And no warning gump is given in game
    How about you stop excluding innocent people who are not in your 'people who know' category, which is a very exclusive club.

'People who know' know you must download TP software to fix bugs to play in fel, it's not okay way to go about the game"
    Yoshi said:
    "you mean using exploit to make big soul forge into small soul forge?

How you're expecting every player to know about this issue and not to use axe on item when it is not even listed anywhere in the bug forum, or on wiki?"
    I certainly wouldn’t consider it an exploit.  The ability to raise and lower gozas/pavers was clearly intended.  I consider it more of an advanced designing/decorating strategy that comes with some risk.  You would never encounter this placing a multi-tile addon on a house floor.  Once you advanced beyond that, it’s only user error that would destroy an item.
    edited April 2023
    "instructions on wiki even telling people to do this, and no warning of lost item,
    not user error at all

people just following instructions to raise deeded items, and when they go to redeed, bam"
    edited April 2023
    "no wonder players quit this game
    attitude they are treated with when they encounter problem stinks"
  • I placed the locker on the regular floor of my keep, on the ground floor. I do not use pavers or goza mats.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,903
    I placed the locker on the regular floor of my keep, on the ground floor. I do not use pavers or goza mats.
    Why did you continue after first part proofed? If you would have paged gm then so the could see it wasn't raised you might of had a chance 
    edited April 2023
    “He/she probably took the logical thought and probably assumed deed would appear after final piece is axed

lol at the witchburning
    judge, jury, and executioner combo in this thread

op may as well have bent over and placed own head on locker before axing

I may also have to compensate OP for the slander and vitriole they have suffered in this thread”
  • When I paged the GM, there was only 1 tile of the locker gone. The GM at that time could not do anything. I was unable to access the locker after the first tile was destroyed. So, I chopped each tile thinking after all of them were chopped the locker would have returned into deed form for me.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    Merus said:
    I do not believe it is possible to place a Locker (or any other multi-tile addon) on anything but a level surface.  If you, as a player create a level surface using gozas, pavers, etc. in order to place them on something besides the normal floor of your house you risk the surface becoming unlevel, which breaks the addon.  If you try and axe it in its unlevel or broken state the pieces get destroyed.  

What a thread.

"This has been a known issue for a very long time."

I found out about it just now :)
    I don't think any of my guild would be aware of this.

I think the fact this is a Vet reward, and they sell for 100's of millions, the game is actively wiping them from the face of the game via IDOCS faster than they can be replaced and they are very desirable items, makes this quite a big deal.

If I lost a Vet reward like this, I'd be pretty upset, I would not consider it user error.

The activities with the Goza mats, does appear to me to be various forms of exploiting, whether it is harmful or not, decorative in nature or not, there are lines in the sand to all of this of course, some things less critical than others, and people place their lines in the sand differently. It seems Deco style players, are ok using Deco exploits, well, of course they would be. :)

This has to go down as a Bug to be fixed, or, it has to be put in the Wiki, or UO-Guide as a bit of additional info, to allow players to be aware of this - I am not sure Stratics alone is good enough, as it is not always easy to find info there.
    I have added a section to the page: House Ownership - 6. House Decorating (The Basics)
    It is not yet live, but includes a warning:
    A word of caution. Whenever an item is placed on a raised surface you must ensure that all pieces are on the same level if you wish to re-deed the item. If any part is out of alignment the component parts will be deleted and the item lost.

Listing all over is not going to help the % of actual players who read here stratics or wiki is just too small and is a terrible way to convey information 
    Mariah said:
    I have added a section to the page: House Ownership - 6. House Decorating (The Basics)
    It is not yet live, but includes a warning:
    A word of caution. Whenever an item is placed on a raised surface you must ensure that all pieces are on the same level if you wish to re-deed the item. If any part is out of alignment the component parts will be deleted and the item lost.

You're a star :)
    Grimbeard said:
    Listing all over is not going to help the % of actual players who read here stratics or wiki is just too small and is a terrible way to convey information 

Players do in fact read the Wiki, and it is the official source of Info.

It is the best way to convey information there is. If it is there, we can all point to it, and reference it.

It is when it is not anywhere, players have issues.
    Cookie said:
    Merus said:

What a thread.

"This has been a known issue for a very long time."

I found out about it just now :)
    I don't think any of my guild would be aware of this.

I think the fact this is a Vet reward, and they sell for 100's of millions, the game is actively wiping them from the face of the game via IDOCS faster than they can be replaced and they are very desirable items, makes this quite a big deal.

If I lost a Vet reward like this, I'd be pretty upset, I would not consider it user error.

The activities with the Goza mats, does appear to me to be various forms of exploiting, whether it is harmful or not, decorative in nature or not, there are lines in the sand to all of this of course, some things less critical than others, and people place their lines in the sand differently. It seems Deco style players, are ok using Deco exploits, well, of course they would be. :)

This has to go down as a Bug to be fixed, or, it has to be put in the Wiki, or UO-Guide as a bit of additional info, to allow players to be aware of this - I am not sure Stratics alone is good enough, as it is not always easy to find info there.
    I learned the lesson the hard way 13 years ago… cost me a veteran reward cannon… but it was still me using goza mats to get the cannon in a spot that it normally wouldn’t have fit inside my house and not getting it leveled correctly before re-deeding it.

So yes, it is frustrating.  And yes, it’s been around a very long time.  No one is suggesting it doesn’t suck.  I didn’t get my cannon back in 2010, it’s no different now.

We need a link to the wiki on the login page the only place every player sees 
    Merus said:

I learned the lesson the hard way 13 years ago… cost me a veteran reward cannon… but it was still me using goza mats to get the cannon in a spot that it normally wouldn’t have fit inside my house and not getting it leveled correctly before re-deeding it.

So yes, it is frustrating.  And yes, it’s been around a very long time.  No one is suggesting it doesn’t suck.  I didn’t get my cannon back in 2010, it’s no different now.

Yep, I do understand.

Maybe it can be less of an issue, if there are a couple of notes out there for players to see. :)
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    @Yoshi you can come turn me in for exploiting!
    I'm such a Bad Boy.

When they start giving us things back, I have 3 Blazes Cus that just went poof for no reason, you can come see them on Test Center, Mr. GM.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    edited April 2023
    Not a helpful comment but

I really really want to know why any programer thought using the action to permanently destroy something was a good one to use to redeed something you wanted to keep.  :#
    edited April 2023
    Merus said:

"What a joker you are, you said you found out about it the hard way..
    so you yourself are victim of this
    and instead of help campaign to resolve issue, you blame other victims and say its user error.

You ever thought about working for crisis charity?"