I Don't Get Paid Enough for This

Anne groaned softly and opened her eyes. Slowly sitting upright, she took in the murky gloom surrounding her. She was on what appeared to be a stone floor which was cold and damp and reeked of mold, and something else she could quite put her finger on. She was fairly certain she could go the rest of her life not identifying that smell and be quite happy. She could clearly hear sounds that she knew were indicative of a dungeon. The rattles of chains, the scratches of sharpened claws, the bloodcurdling screams of pain and the wet slurping noises that never occurred in the light of the sun but only in the darkness where it could hide the abominations and evil.

Anne reached up to touch the large knot forming on the back of her head and winced in pain. She tried to recall how she obtained the injury and figure out how she might have come to be, well, wherever she was. The last thing she remembered was packing up her office in Minoc after the circus of an election and saying goodbye to the citizens of the city. She remembered she had set out towards the coast to catch a ship to New Magincia. She thought she might even have made it but things got a little fuzzy. Anne smirked thinking of how Suka’s plans for taking over Minoc had been thwarted. She just hoped the new Governor could protect the city and it's citizens from Moreno, Suka and their hellions.

“Well, well, sleeping beauty awakes. Tell me Princess, how are you enjoying your accommodations?”

Anne rolled her eyes at the all too familiar voice of Suka, one of Moreno Dionisio’s insane “family” as they liked to style themselves. She knew from past encounters that Suka was beyond just slightly unhinged. She should have guessed. It made sense Suka would be involved in this, somehow. Anne just couldn’t quite figure out her current game.

“Ah, Suka, I should have guessed. And how is Moreno’s little lap dog?” Anne sneered with all the sarcasm she could muster through the pounding in her skull. “Did Daddy let you off your leash to play?”

Suka tapped a fingernail on the metal of the door to the cell and smirked, “You know Princess, you really should join us. Especially since you got driven out of Minoc, poor thing. I’m sure Moreno could find some position for you in the Family. We always need someone good at organizing the laundry.”

Anne sighed, “Alright, Suka, you want to tell me what this is about? I did what you all demanded and pulled out of Minoc. It’s not my fault your little band couldn’t take the town even with me gone.”

“Oh, bless your heart,” Suka drawled, “you are only a tiny part of the plan Princess. But, do make yourself comfortable. You will be a guest here a while.”

As Suka walked away snickering, Anne took a deep breath and hoped her sister had found the note she’d left for just such an occasion as this. Anne smiled to herself. Suka was going to find out that Anne wasn’t quite the pushover she thought. Anne would always do what was best for the citizens but, she also had a few tricks up her sleeve.