Untranslated Ancient Tome

So I got one off of a Dread Pirate. I know this was a recent change to their loot, I"m just curious why they picked such a worthless item ? UO Guide says 

Untranslated Ancient Tome is a quest item that is needed for the quest Ye Olde Gargish given out by Axem the Curator. They can be found as a loot on bosses inside the Stygian Abyss Dungeon and Underworld. Creatures from Cavern of the Discarded may also carry them.

Again I got it off of a Dread Pirate, in Tokuno waters, which makes zero sense according to this. 
You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Who cares its the only item that you only need one of.  Go activate that quest and turn it in.

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,903
    Pawain said:
    Who cares its the only item that you only need one of.  Go activate that quest and turn it in.

Oh Allen...
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    So I got one off of a Dread Pirate. I know this was a recent change to their loot, I"m just curious why they picked such a worthless item ? UO Guide says 

Untranslated Ancient Tome is a quest item that is needed for the quest Ye Olde Gargish given out by Axem the Curator. They can be found as a loot on bosses inside the Stygian Abyss Dungeon and Underworld. Creatures from Cavern of the Discarded may also carry them.

Again I got it off of a Dread Pirate, in Tokuno waters, which makes zero sense according to this. 
    Yes, it makes zero sense, I agree....

What would instead make sense, way more sense ( @Kyronix ? ), would be to include within the Dread Pirates loot table, guess what ?

A Horde/Trove Treasure Map....

And, since we are talking about Pirates, for which carrying a Treasure Map would be way more likely then for a Monster, give it also a higher chance to appear in the loot as compared to what the chance is for Monsters... after all, it takes forever to kill a Dread Pirate and, therefore, it is not like one can kill a large number of them to get a Treasure Map....

And guess again what ?

Even though, that I know of, no player ever found a Treasure Map on a Dread Pirate, at some point, time back, Publish 68 https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/technical/previous-publishes/2010-2/publish-68-12th-october/ clearly indicated :

Level 7 Treasure Chests
    • These maps can be found in Level 6 treasure chests, in the pirates hold and a rare chance on one of the boss mobs.  You will see a few new creatures and lots of booty ! This is not a solo encounter.
    Then they changed Treasure Maps (now we have 5 levels, not 7) and no reference was made in the Publish notes about Dread Pirates carrying Treasure Maps within their loot.

Yet, to my opinion, if there is 1 NPC in the entire Ultima Online World who makes sense to carry Treasure Maps within the loot that is Dread Pirates.....

Yet, they don't.....

Go figure....

Kyronix, can we please get this rectified and have Dread Pirates do carry a Horde/Trove Treasure Map and, also, with an increased chance as compared to other Monsters, given that they are Pirates and thus with a higher likeliness to have one, and also considering the very long time it takes to kill them ?
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    Have to say this cause it's rare, I agree with @popps! It does make compete sense to have pirates or pirate ship holds, carry treasure maps. And with the Dread Pirates it would be appropriate to have them carry level 5 teasure maps!
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    This is one of the few general quest items that actually gets you something of value every time.  Nice gold, points with the gargoyle queen, and special jewels.  If you have a good source for these recommend  you collect them.  Turn in is very easy.