Returning Player - Working on Warrior

I am returning after a long time.  I was on Chessy, but decided a fresh start would be nice, so I am playing on Atlantic.  

Starting with a Warrior since I do not really have any resources.  I have read up on Sampires, but it does not really sound interesting to me.  I know they are the best for soloing most content and I am ok with not being able to do that.  

Right now, I have 106/110 Mace Fighting, 100 Tactics, 100 Anatomy, 89 Healing, 100 Resist, 60sih Bushido, and 60ish Chivalry.  My plan for this character is to ultimately go 6x120, but I am not sure if Chiv or Bushido is better for that setup.  I have seen some posts that a 6x120 Paladin is almost comparable to a Sampire although not as good.  Would it be the same with Bushido instead of Chiv?

Comments

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Chivalry requires medaled armor and the protection spell to reliably cast chivalry spells.  Bushido does not.  But, with chivalry you can recall.  My experience was that I raised chivalry to 110 and then discovered that, that was too much chivalry to fit into most warrior templates.  Not really bad mouthing chivalry just saying most templates with chivalry only call for about a 60 or so skill level.

Bushido and parry are very effective when used together.  You might consider looking into a template with parry if you decide to add bushido.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    The character I am currently using relatively successfully in Deceit has the following real skills plus 15% chiv on a ring:

@Arnold7 what do you mean by 'medaled armor'? I do run with protection cast to be able to cast reliably, but I've no idea what you mean regarding armor
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    The character I am currently using relatively successfully in Deceit has the following real skills plus 15% chiv on a ring:

@ Arnold7 what do you mean by 'medaled armor'? I do run with protection cast to be able to cast reliably, but I've no idea what you mean regarding armor
    I never use mendable armor or protection never had an issue and trying to keep it secret but a macer paladin strongest template in game 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    edited November 2022
    Spelled the word wrong.  Basically needs the mage armor modifier so mana regenerates at a faster rate.  Nice template.  Thanks for posting it.

Fighter does not need the kind of regeneration a mage does but does need enough mana to do the special moves and to cast the chivalry spells.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    edited November 2022
    ah. No, I don't use mage armor. I fight with double axes with 81% mana leech instead.

@grimbeard. I use both healing and close wounds when fighting paragons, without protection that spell fizzles too much.  This char has been a swordswoman since I created her in 2000. I don't think I want to change her weapon skill now. :D
  • AhyraAhyra Posts: 2
    Sorry accidentally left Parrying out of my original post, but I do have that at 100.

Grimbeard said:

@ Arnold7 what do you mean by 'medaled armor'? I do run with protection cast to be able to cast reliably, but I've no idea what you mean regarding armor
    I never use mendable armor or protection never had an issue and trying to keep it secret but a macer paladin strongest template in game 
    Are you using a Mace and Shield for it? I keep seeing posts referencing a paladin that includes Bushido also.  
  • UrgeUrge Posts: 1,204
    I am impressed with my newerish character and it's VERY cheap to build. 

macing 120 (i am switching to swords)
    tact 100
    anat 100
    healing 100
    parry 100
    chiv 100
    necro 100 (just for vamp form)

Resist is a wasted skill to me in pvm. With remove curse from chiv, a trap box to break para and the poison immunity from vamp form there's really no need to have this skill. 

I use a +10 swing speed shield so max swing is super easy to obtain. I am switching to swords to use a katana since it has armor ignore and double strike and it's fast. That means i can dump more stats into mana and go with an even cheaper suit. 

The life leech from weapon + vamp form + bandaid heals is fantastic. And you can be a team player cross healing. 
  • I'm just returning after 13 years or so, it aches me to see so many people running 100 chivalry, but then again, I guess it depends on your play style.  I fell in love with bushido, but I was more of a pvp player than pvm.  People really do underestimate a bushido vs chivalry.  Chivalry isn't a bad build for warrior pvm, it may be better than buishido.  Point I'm trying to get to with my rambling is, I never had any issue staying alive in pvm using bushido.  I found it more effective for mana honestly, over chivalry.  Chivalry requires cast time, bushido requires cooldowns.  So my hotkey rotation never stopped.  Evade would give you more than enough time to apply a bandage and let it run its cycle before you would take damage again.  Let me correct myself.  You will still take some damage, but it'll be a significantly lower percentage than normal.   Excuse the ramble, thanks.   
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,894
    You can't travel with bushido 
  • You can using recall scrolls,  My resist was only 115, so I sacrificed a few points in healing as well and kept 10 magery.  Never failed to recall using scroll.  One of my mages had inscription, so I had an abundance of scrolls.  
  • looploop Posts: 301
    Chivalry doesn’t require medable armor, surely? My understanding is that medable armor is only something you need on templates with Meditation. In fact, you do not want medable armor on melee templates so that you overlap your Lower Mana Cost.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Almost all my melee toons have Chivalry and bushido. 

In pvm I have never missed resist. You can use apples and orange petals. Also you can put 99 recall scrolls in your atlas and travel. No need for magery.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • looploop Posts: 301
    Pawain said:
    Almost all my melee toons have Chivalry and bushido. 

In pvm I have never missed resist. You can use apples and orange petals. Also you can put 99 recall scrolls in your atlas and travel. No need for magery.
    I like Resist on a Sampire, mostly to resist Mana Drain. Mana Drain limits your ability to use Special Moves and, as a result, your ability to inflict damage and life leech. But I can understand why most folks forgo it.

Unless you're using the mastery, I don't see much reason to ever take Chivalry over 80. At 80, you get 100% proc rate on Consecrate Weapon and a decent chance to cast Enemy of One. Levels over 90 give your Consecrate Weapon a damage bonus, and you'll get more out of Divine Fury. Each of these requires karma and can be annoying to keep up. If the choice is between more Tactics and Anatomy, then I'd take either of those over more Chivalry.

Bushido, on the other hand, may be arguably over-powered. You kind of need it as a melee in today's UO. With the damage bonus to Whirlwind, Momentum Strike as an alternative if you want to use another weapon, and the reduction it grants to Special Move mana cost, it's one of the only mechanisms afforded to melee characters for dealing efficiently with multiple enemies.