Select nearest hostile isn't broken on CC, you are simply misunderstanding what it refers to.

Look, it's a badly worded macro ok?

The macro uses the word "hostile"  to mean "anything that isn't a friendly

In other words, it's a select nearest entity that isn't innocent and isn't your pet or guildmate or other things that you wouldn't likely want to attack macro. 

Wanna know why it selects summons in tram? Because summons are treated as if they were murderers. That's why their name is red. So that's why the macro selects them.

Why it targets pigs and sheep and other "non-attacking" grey bar entities? Because they are treated as if they were criminals under the flagging system. That's why their name is grey. 

It DOES NOT refer to "entities that are attacking you"
It DOES NOT refer to "entities that could attack you"

The macro system doesn't take into account if the entity you target is able to take damage from you or be targeted by you. It only takes into account the entity's innocent-criminal-murderer flag. 

That's why the devs keep acting like they can't find the issue. Because there isn't one. Yall keep talking past each other without ever trying to define what yall think the macro is supposed to be doing.

What players keep saying - "Select nearest hostile targets all kinds of things that aren't even fighting me / aren't aggressive so it must be broken"

What devs keep saying - "Select nearest hostile properly selects those things which it is supposed to select. We keep testing it but there doesn't seem to be an issue with it at all."
Tagged:

Comments

• Sorry for all the bold. I read the latest meet-and-greet transcript and just wanted to see if I could make this as clear as possible for everyone.

The issue is how "hostile" is being defined, and everyone seems to have their own idea of what it means and thinks its broken if it doesn't match up with their definition. 

For anyone who wants to know how I know all this: I'm a samp who hits that macro after every swing in order to target the nearest thing to me. I found if I didn't do that I would target enemies across the screen and stop swinging and die cuz I stopped leeching life. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited November 2022
    It has worked a lot better for me than in any dungeon on my melee toons.  Once in a while it chooses a mob out of range so I have pay attention if my guy just stands there, I run over to the selected target or retarget and it chooses one close to me.

But, I wish we could choose for it to ignore summons.  Have to avoid mages.

I dont take any melee toons to EM events, it cycles thru summons.

But like you said, they are hostiles in fel I guess.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited November 2022
    “this is partly true, a detailed description is given in the bug forum, in summary they need to add more options, EG attack nearest enemy (orange)

But attack hostile doesn’t actually attack your own EVs
    so it should not attack your guild mates EVs or red/grey guild mates 
    if they managed to exclude your own EVs which are red, then the technical possibility is there to exclude own guild members and their EVs.

And EVs hostility status in fel depends on the flagging status of the caster.

and should not try to attack ghosts either (orange players/pets) how can a dead target be hostile?

As a great simple general rule, it should only attack targets that would be damaged with the earthquake spell.
    This correctly will not attack blues if you are blue, but will attack blues if you’re red.
    will never attack guild members or their summons/followers.
    Will damage any EV that is attacking you (I think)”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Ya its super annoying that it targets summons. I mainly use it to target enemies I'm standing near, which I think is the idea behind it, so I've never had too many issues with it. I could see if I was trying to target spells with it that it would be annoying. 

My fix for all that though is just to have 2 macros, one that targets the nearest thing, and one that targets the next thing. If "select nearest" doesn't give me the target I want then "select next" usually does. 
    edited November 2022
    “you’ve actually given me a good idea for a protest.
    currently the issue mainly affects fel players as you probably don’t come across many dead orange/players and pets in trammel. This is why it gets ignored.

I could create some EJ accounts, give them each 5 x 16th anniversary horses that Insta bond

Take them all to tram deceit (dead, with all the dead pets) turn them red. And fill the dungeon with dead red pets. 
    Then we’ll see how much of a non issue this is”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    That will get you another harassment mark.
    “It will be EJ account so won’t matter
    i only stopped gating the bots out of deceit because it turned out was my own alliance members running most of the bots”
     :D 
    edited November 2022
    “If the developers don’t recognise attacking a ghost as being an issue,
    then there is by definition no issue with doing this.”
  • SlissSliss Posts: 282
    Pawain said:
    It has worked a lot better for me than in any dungeon on my melee toons.  Once in a while it chooses a mob out of range so I have pay attention if my guy just stands there, I run over to the selected target or retarget and it chooses one close to me.

But, I wish we could choose for it to ignore summons.  Have to avoid mages.

I dont take any melee toons to EM events, it cycles thru summons.

But like you said, they are hostiles in fel I guess.
    I am sure this is not what you want to hear, but EC has a very granular control of targeting and filtering. You can even target by name/string. That was very useful in finding those generals in the 20th-anniversary invasion.
    “Yes EC targeting very very good
    Done very good job there”
    Yoshi said:
    “you’ve actually given me a good idea for a protest.
    currently the issue mainly affects fel players as you probably don’t come across many dead orange/players and pets in trammel. This is why it gets ignored.

I could create some EJ accounts, give them each 5 x 16th anniversary horses that Insta bond

Take them all to tram deceit (dead, with all the dead pets) turn them red. And fill the dungeon with dead red pets. 
    Then we’ll see how much of a non issue this is”

"I think they have hired a developer now.
    they fixed the 2 methods i know of getting a red to trammel."