Discussion on magic user summons auto target vs melee targeting

Ok so last night we had an event on Sonoma and it was great.  They divided us up into two different groups end effectivly diminished the lag.  It was nice that way.  But for awhile now, its concerning about the targeting methods of summons that can auto target in a mass crowd.  They can just go directly toward a hostile mob and start attacking, which effects looting rights and overall damage.  Now the melee cannot do this.  He can cycle through his tab targeting, which targets all the magic summons like energy vortexes and risen collosus.  You attack their summons and not the mob you are trying to attack.  You control/shift to try to grab a tag, but there are so many tags do go through to just even get to the mob you are looking for, and by the time you get to it its half dead or completely dead.  Its kind of disheartening.  Anyways just wondering if anyone else has feelings about this.  By the way, Rowena Rocks, and Sonoma loves her.

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited October 2022
    After some complaints of this nature. Our GM did a few things that helped. 

1. He made the boss appear in the air so players could grab the bar before they could attack, then it fell to the ground  so we could attack.

2. He made the skin of the boss from The rock Titan. Everyone could see it because it stood above everything.

A few weeks later he went back to skins that blended with the crowd.

But if the GMs do one or both of those two things, we could all target it fairly.

@EM Thrixx 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Pawain said:
    After some complaints of this nature. Our GM did a few things that helped. 

1. He made the boss appear in the air so players could grab the bar before they could attack, then it fell to the ground  so we could attack.

2. He made the skin of the boss from The rock Titan. Everyone could see it because it stood above everything.

A few weeks later he went back to skins that blended with the crowd.

But if the GMs do one or both of those two things, we could all target it fairly.

@ EM Thrixx 

Thank you very much for these suggestions Pawain.  Greatly appreciated. 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    edited October 2022
    I think someone brought this up the other day at the M&G.

According to Mesanna/Kyronix at the M&G (and a few supporters here) the targeting on non-hostiles doesn't happen. IE - nothing to see here - everything is working as expected. :D
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited October 2022
    “Attacking non hostile summons with attack nearest hostile is a bug that has been reported around a dozen times, but here are some things you can do:

Perform some sort of area attack, this will normally only attack valid hostiles and not red summons, then your char should swing at that target, so if you have chiv then holy light, if you’re human I suggest doing the spellweaving quest as you can cast t-storm at jack of all trades, might fizzle a few times. You can throw a conflagration potion (problem is only 1 person can do this at a time as they won’t stack on the floor) or an explode potion, (or supernova if you’re in VvV). You won’t need a free hand for these.

most other players just install a third party client that has fixed the targeting bugs in the game you pay for, so they are able to get event items drops while you miss out because certain devs have never even played the game so won’t understand your issue”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • GrimbeardGrimbeard Posts: 1,895
    Is this a CC only issue as i don't have trouble in EC?
  • RinerRiner Posts: 355
    I found for me the best way to target in these situations is using the mobiles bar. I limit what is visible on it so that I can see the boss mob. As for the targeting issue not being a thing I think that’s like so many other non-things! Also, I've found pinco's smart targeting takes case of this also. 
    edited October 2022
    “Yes mainly CC as EC has a mobiles bar that can separate different targets for you to choose.
    but you will find on EC too if you have macro for attack nearest hostile you too will hit red summons”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Yes my attack nearest hostile macro is targeting summons in EC. Please devs fix this old issue. It is very annoying. 
    edited October 2022
    "assume you can filter out the red summons using smart targeting on EC

but CC users currently must source alternative software (illegal)

It is very strange, other games i play, i just run the game and play, i never have to download other programs just to play it"

• RinerRiner Posts: 355
    I guess after all these years it might have changed but it was very common when games first came out to have a collection of additional programs that people put together to enhance their game play and most were not allowed by the game company. 
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    dvvid said:
    Yes my attack nearest hostile macro is targeting summons in EC. Please devs fix this old issue. It is very annoying. 
    What is the actual targeting action are you using in your nearest hostile macro?
    If you are using SmartNearestTarget you can have it ignore summons by unchecking the Summons option under the Mobiles Bar tab