Question About HLA

Hi,

I'm wondering about HLA to how effective in PvM.

Does creatures/bosses have positive hit chance increase or just zero?

Can we drop creatures HCI to negative?

So my main question is that HLA is useful for bosses or not?

Thanks.

Comments

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    Lestat said:

So my main question is that HLA is useful for bosses or not?

Yes. I put HLA on my PvM weapons for my Sampire (I have M&S glasses so 30 HLD from that makes it a redundant property for me on weapon). It's a noticeable difference when you are using a weapon with HLA against a tougher mob; when you are able to proc it you will definitely be hit less (note - I run with 30% DCI on my Samp which also helps).
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Against one that you can't leech life, HLA.
    Against one that you can leech life, HLD. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,169
    edited October 2022
    Seth said:
    It depends what you are fighting and what your suit has (and even what your build is).

I will fit all 3 leeches on my weapon plus hit spell plus HLA (plus 30 HLD from glasses) if there isn't a slayer for whatever I'm fighting.

I've also made some weapons without leech life and used a slayer in its place or AoE. Like with many things in UO, there isn't one answer here because "it depends" on several factors.
    edited October 2022
    keven2002 said:
    Seth said:
    It depends what you are fighting and what your suit has (and even what your build is).

I will fit all 3 leeches on my weapon plus hit spell plus HLA (plus 30 HLD from glasses) if there isn't a slayer for whatever I'm fighting.

I've also made some weapons without leech life and used a slayer in its place or AoE. Like with many things in UO, there isn't one answer here because "it depends" on several factors.
    Yup. 

In general, sampire can’t leech anything if he can’t hit, so HLD is more useful to increase chances for successive hits. HLA only reduces incoming attack and even so it does not activate if can’t hit consistently.

The key word is Hit… the first word comes first, it must hit to work.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,106
    Hit Lower Attack (HLA) is an item property found on weapons. A successful hit with such a weapon will lower the Hit chance increase  rating of the target by 25 points for 8 seconds. All attackers enjoy the benefit from a successful HLA hit. In other words, the effect is global and not specific to the attacker who scored the HLA hit. 

I put it on a new bow I made to aid in fights with Para Rams and PEs.

I would guess you can calculate a Mobs Hit Chance here:

https://www.uo-cah.com/effective-damage-calculator

Then Yoshi will come ruin the day and say it has never worked. :D 

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Yup, HLA affects target HCI, HLD affects target DCI. A well coordinated team can be very strong if they include mana drain and hit fatigue. 
    edited October 2022
    Paragon Rams and PEs pack a punch when you finish one type then move to the next without turning of EoO...

I usually put HLD on bows since archers miss a lot, but this seems like a good place to use HLA, to help others.
  • LestatLestat Posts: 23
    Pawain said:
    Hit Lower Attack (HLA) is an item property found on weapons. A successful hit with such a weapon will lower the Hit chance increase  rating of the target by 25 points for 8 seconds. All attackers enjoy the benefit from a successful HLA hit. In other words, the effect is global and not specific to the attacker who scored the HLA hit. 

I put it on a new bow I made to aid in fights with Para Rams and PEs.

I would guess you can calculate a Mobs Hit Chance here:

https://www.uo-cah.com/effective-damage-calculator

Then Yoshi will come ruin the day and say it has never worked. :D 

So creatures hit chances can be negative?

Otherwise if creature didn't have hit chance increase which means 0, than HLA don't have any effect.

My concern is I'm thrower tamer so, if I use HLA on my glaive, maybe my pet dodge attacks more for PvM.
    I hope so. That is why I put it on my bow, so others won't get hit and die and leave me alone with the paragon.

I'm guessing pets and players have a hit chance above 0 from skills. HCI increases it from there. 

But someone who knows different is welcome to answer.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 904
    HLA = -25% Hci does go into the negatives.
    HLD = -15% Dci, but only works on targets with at least 1% Dci or more.

HLD was reduced from -25% down to -15% but now prevents overcapping of DCI (a pvp only change, i believe), However, if you have 0 dci, HLD cannot proc against you. HLA can.

I believe HLD still functions as -25% against npcs, but a Dev would likely have to clarify that.
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 527
    edited October 2022
    Both HLA and HLD function fine against NPCs, taking their HCI/DCI into the negatives. My Disco/Tamer uses this Magical Shortbow to apply HLA/HLD debuff to mobs. My pets dish out more damage (land more hits) and take less damage (take less hits) while i'm using this bow. Combine it with Discord, and the opponent is pretty seriously crippled. Anyone else attacking that foe is also more effective as well.

When my Disco/Tamer is using that bow along with his RC+AP Fire Beetle, and i'm also using my Death Ray Tamer/Mage © and his 120 Disco+CB Triton, the boss is under a serious amount of debuffs. 120 Disco+RC+CB+DR+AP+HLA+HLD. My guild absolutely loves it when i bring both of them to a hunt, the boss just melts like butter.