New/Returning Player's Perspective

NecroSailorNecroSailor Posts: 11
edited October 2022 in General Discussions
This is a bit of a long winded general perspective while mentioning a bug, so I hope this is in the right spot >< 

I've just now been playing solid for a little more than a year and honestly still having a blast. Coming from playing WoW, I'd rather spend my free time doing something fun than chores in an online game. 
I'm not much for alt characters yet, so my main is a bit of mix Swordsman/Necro/Mage/Fisher. I'm not about to start following an online build guide either, I hate playing games and trying to optimize everything. I'm just here to have fun my way. 
I was a Necro tamer, but my current obsession is fishing for treasure! 

I don't know how much time Devs have, if they are even looking to the future or if they're just keeping the servers running... But I have some suggestions if anyone's at all interested.

I bought the Hooded Shroud of Shadows from the UO Store to go with my Necro purely for aesthetics while I sail around, but unfortunately in the Classic Client the fishing animation while wearing the Hooded Shroud of Shadows seems broken.... During the animation, the Shroud and the character seem to split apart, both fishing but not on the same tile.
Also with the same Shroud, in the Enhanced Client, the Shroud seems to lose the ability to cover whatever helmet you're wearing and they both awkwardly clip together within the paperdoll. 
It's not something I'm terribly angry about, just it's a bit immersion breaking, but being something paid for with IRL money, I hope this can get some love eventually. 

The other thing I would absolutely LOVE is the ability to play within the enhanced client, but with the classic UI and classic character/mount models. There seems to be so many benefits to playing within Enhanced, but the characters and mounts just look very off unfortunately and I find myself playing mostly within Classic, but then switching to enhanced for ease of access before quickly switching back. It's very annoying :/
Or even add some enhanced features to the classic client, like extended draw distance, ability to zoom in and out and the enhanced map.
And I do know there is a Classic UI option within Enhanced, but it's really not the same.

Aside from this, I love this game. I played briefly 20 odd years ago for a little, always reminisced about it with one of my friends and we both took the dive to get back into it last year. He rushed into it, built up 5 characters very quickly, burnt out and hasn't played since. I'm still playing my one and having a ball just doing things I find fun :)

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,042
    Welcome back. 

Build some killing skills so you can participate in the upcoming dungeon.  

Also try to do a little all of the holidays content.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,934
    This is a bit of a long winded general perspective while mentioning a bug, so I hope this is in the right spot >< 

I've just now been playing solid for a little more than a year and honestly still having a blast. Coming from playing WoW, I'd rather spend my free time doing something fun than chores in an online game. 
    I'm not much for alt characters yet, so my main is a bit of mix Swordsman/Necro/Mage/Fisher. I'm not about to start following an online build guide either, I hate playing games and trying to optimize everything. I'm just here to have fun my way. 

I don't know how much time Devs have, if they are even looking to the future or if they're just keeping the servers running... But I have some suggestions if anyone's at all interested.

I bought the Hooded Shroud of Shadows from the UO Store to go with my Necro purely for aesthetics while I sail around, but unfortunately in the Classic Client the fishing animation while wearing the Hooded Shroud of Shadows seems broken.... During the animation, the Shroud and the character seem to split apart, both fishing but not on the same tile.
    Also with the same Shroud, in the Enhanced Client, the Shroud seems to lose the ability to cover whatever helmet you're wearing and they both awkwardly clip together within the paperdoll. 
    It's not something I'm terribly angry about, just it's a bit immersion breaking, but being something paid for with IRL money, I hope this can get some love eventually. 

The other thing I would absolutely LOVE is the ability to play within the enhanced client, but with the classic UI and classic character/mount models. There seems to be so many benefits to playing within Enhanced, but the characters and mounts just look very off unfortunately and I find myself playing mostly within Classic, but then switching to enhanced for ease of access before quickly switching back. It's very annoying :/
    Or even add some enhanced features to the classic client, like extended draw distance, ability to zoom in and out and the enhanced map.
    And I do know there is a Classic UI option within Enhanced, but it's really not the same.

Aside from this, I love this game. I played briefly 20 odd years ago for a little, always reminisced about it with one of my friends and we both took the dive to get back into it last year. He rushed into it, built up 5 characters very quickly, burnt out and hasn't played since. I'm still playing my one and having a ball just doing things I find fun :)

Thanks for reading!

Welcome back !!

If you are playing Ultima Online to have fun your way then, you are with the right game, IMHO !!

Ultima Online has gameplay depth as no other game that I may have found, there is so much, but really so much diverse gameplays possible, that chances are, to my viewing, that one can most always find a gameplay niche that they can enjoy to play and have fun with.

The other thing I would absolutely LOVE is the ability to play within the enhanced client, but with the classic UI and classic character/mount models. There seems to be so many benefits to playing within Enhanced, but the characters and mounts just look very off unfortunately and I find myself playing mostly within Classic, but then switching to enhanced for ease of access before quickly switching back. It's very annoying

Oh, I have been saying this FOR YEARS.....

It would be a dream come true if the Developers made the Enhanced Client possible to play with the Classic Client graphics..... I am one of those many players stopped from playing the Enhanced Client because of the graphics but who would LOVE to be able to take advantage of all the niceties of the Enhanced Client while keeping the Classic Client graphics....

@Kyronix , please, pretty please..... can you guys make such a dream come finally true ?
  • vortexvortex Posts: 201
    popps said:

Thanks for reading!

Welcome back !!

If you are playing Ultima Online to have fun your way then, you are with the right game, IMHO !!

Ultima Online has gameplay depth as no other game that I may have found, there is so much, but really so much diverse gameplays possible, that chances are, to my viewing, that one can most always find a gameplay niche that they can enjoy to play and have fun with.

The other thing I would absolutely LOVE is the ability to play within the enhanced client, but with the classic UI and classic character/mount models. There seems to be so many benefits to playing within Enhanced, but the characters and mounts just look very off unfortunately and I find myself playing mostly within Classic, but then switching to enhanced for ease of access before quickly switching back. It's very annoying

It would be a dream come true if the Developers made the Enhanced Client possible to play with the Classic Client graphics..... I am one of those many players stopped from playing the Enhanced Client because of the graphics but who would LOVE to be able to take advantage of all the niceties of the Enhanced Client while keeping the Classic Client graphics....

@ Kyronix , please, pretty please..... can you guys make such a dream come finally true ?
    As long as it is a toggle....I don't want cc graphics and animations
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    vortex said:
    popps said:

Thanks for reading!

Welcome back !!

@ Kyronix , please, pretty please..... can you guys make such a dream come finally true ?
    As long as it is a toggle....I don't want cc graphics and animations

+1, it has to be a switch, not a CC graphics in EC only. There are some graphics that I dislike in both but I still prefer EC graphics. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs