No overhead test or chat and need help

I just reinstalled UO and logged in with the enhanced client.  However there is no overhead text or chat window.  I tried removing and reinstalling the game with the same result.  Does anyone know how to get the chat text/window thing to show up.  Even if I go back to old client and try using "/" nothing happens.  On the enhanced client nothing happens when I hit enter.  Does any ideas?  This makes it impossible to play the game.

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    condanlz said:
    I just reinstalled UO and logged in with the enhanced client.  However there is no overhead text or chat window.  I tried removing and reinstalling the game with the same result.  Does anyone know how to get the chat text/window thing to show up.  Even if I go back to old client and try using "/" nothing happens.  On the enhanced client nothing happens when I hit enter.  Does any ideas?  This makes it impossible to play the game

Options then legacy enable legacy chat
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • condanlzcondanlz Posts: 5
    There is nothing under "user settings" options that allows you to switch between enhanced and legacy chat.  But under the legacy tab there is a check box.  I tried that and nothing changed or happened.  Am I looking in the wrong place?
    Look at the over head text tab 
    I have been playing with that tab since I re-installed and it does not do much for me as no speech text displays in my game,  Still can't hit enter and input any messages.
    condanlz said:
    I have been playing with that tab since I re-installed and it does not do much for me as no speech text displays in my game,  Still can't hit enter and input any messages.
    Regular EC or pinco?
    Regular Client.  I tried Pinco's to see if that was it but my virus protection threw a fit so I deleted and reinstalled EC.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,800
    One option is to reset the UI locations by clicking on the "Reset UI Loc" button near the bottom of the Options tab.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    You could try backing up and deleting your character file
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,800
    dvvid said:
    You could try backing up and deleting your character file
    The chat window's data is kept in two files under Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Stygian Abyss\User Data\UO_ChatWindow. Backing up and deleting those two files will also reset the chat window.
  • ArchangelArchangel Posts: 460
    condanlz said:
    Regular Client.  I tried Pinco's to see if that was it but my virus protection threw a fit so I deleted and reinstalled EC.
    I had the exact same problem a couple yrs ago.. It appeared just after using pincos and then using the normal EC again.. no chat window, no overhead,.. the lot... After a while I found that if you start again pinco's, but with whats called "play sound", and once it opens, on the login screen, you chlick the UI tab and then choose normal EC, the problem wioll be gone.  After that, you can open EC the normal way and al is as should be.   
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 492
    I turned mine off on purpose at last EM event.  In EC it's User Settings > Overhead Text > Overhead Chat .

Try Left Control+R.

Under Options > User Custom Interface > Try Default.

Under Legacy uncheck Legacy Chat Mode.

Could also be hidden behind something.