Low Budget Thrower

So I was farming in SA and happen to find a Valkyrie glaive artifact and realized I have never made a thrower character.  I figure I would make a classic Gargoyle and make a Mystic Thrower to use my new weapon.  After spending a couple hours in the acid slug pit...my first time there, actually, I managed to gm throwing.  My thoughts went immediately to "I can do this on every shard pretty easily."  So I wanted to come up with a template focused on some easy to train skills in order to get the character to a decent level of play in about a day or two of training.  Since I won't have spell channeling glaives on every server, I wanted to keep that requirement out of my new shard template.  I don't need him to do much, just some SA farming and low level dungeon crawls, etc.  This beginning template is basically going to be the way I fuel an imbuer with resources so that he can make the slayer glaives I need to actually progress further.

100 throwing (first order is to get a 120, which is cheap on pretty much every shard)
100 tacs
100 anat
100 necro (vamp emb)
100 chiv
100 spirit speak (wraith and heals)
100 healing/resist/parry/bushido

The last skill will probably just be 'whatever' in the beginning.  I know mages are a pretty simple template to max, but I am spoiled and don't want to play at less than 120 magery or mysticism, which I won't have access to at the start of this.

Any other suggested templates for a new shard that requires minimal resources and investment?

Comments

  • PawainPawain Posts: 6,961
    Mystic Thrower if you want to build the original Gargoyle build and he can Imbue.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 6,961
    edited April 12
    Mystic
    Imbuing
    Throwing
    Tactics

    Then you can choose from these:

    Magery
    Anatomy
    Chivalry
    Eval
    Music/Discord
    Bushido
    Whatever

    Lots of choices.


    You are a distance player. Cast RC as the distractor Throw from a distance.  You can drink potions to invis.  You fly away from danger and regroup.  You do not need healing. Mysticism has healing and cure in one.

    I like to put magery in the 5th spot.  Invis. Fields. Evs as an option.

    This is never talked about.  You have a penalty when throwing too close or too far.  You are not Melee:

    Mechanics

    Each weapon has a base and max range available to it, where the base range is modified by the player’s strength to determine the actual range.

    The absolute maximum range is capped. The calculated maximum range a player can throw their weapon is used to determine how accurate their throw actually is when trying to hit a target at a certain distance. This allows the player to have a “sweet-spot” area where their throwing is most effective, while pushing towards their maximum range or throwing while too close to the target results in a less damage or accuracy.

    • Underthrown - If, while equipped, a weapon has a maximum range of six tiles, and a player throws at a player two tiles away (too close) they have a Hit Chance penalty of 12%, but no damage reduction.
    • Perfect - Maximum range of six tiles, thrown a distance of four tiles. No Hit Chance penalty, no damage reduction
    • Overthrown - Maximum range of six tiles, thrown a distance of six tiles. No Hit Chance penalty, but 47% damage reduction.

  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,741
    Pawain said:
    Mystic
    Imbuing
    Throwing
    Tactics

    Then you can choose from these:

    Magery
    Anatomy
    Chivalry
    Eval
    Music/Discord
    Bushido
    Whatever

    Lots of choices.


    You are a distance player. Cast RC as the distractor Throw from a distance.  You can drink potions to invis.  You fly away from danger and regroup.  You do not need healing. Mysticism has healing and cure in one.

    I like to put magery in the 5th spot.  Invis. Fields. Evs as an option.

    This is never talked about.  You have a penalty when throwing too close or too far.  You are not Melee:

    Mechanics

    Each weapon has a base and max range available to it, where the base range is modified by the player’s strength to determine the actual range.

    The absolute maximum range is capped. The calculated maximum range a player can throw their weapon is used to determine how accurate their throw actually is when trying to hit a target at a certain distance. This allows the player to have a “sweet-spot” area where their throwing is most effective, while pushing towards their maximum range or throwing while too close to the target results in a less damage or accuracy.

    • Underthrown - If, while equipped, a weapon has a maximum range of six tiles, and a player throws at a player two tiles away (too close) they have a Hit Chance penalty of 12%, but no damage reduction.
    • Perfect - Maximum range of six tiles, thrown a distance of four tiles. No Hit Chance penalty, no damage reduction
    • Overthrown - Maximum range of six tiles, thrown a distance of six tiles. No Hit Chance penalty, but 47% damage reduction.

    This is really an unfair penalty monsters swarm too you sometimes no room to stay 6 or more away coupled with no damage reduction for gargoyles.....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 938
    edited April 12
    Throwing dynamics really take awhile to figure out and you can’t hit anything most of the time if you equip. a shield.  Don’t play mine that much because of that.  However if what you are trying to kill is focusing on another player or the players pet you should be able to get some good hits in at events involving multiple players.  Agree mystic is good some spells increase weapon damage and rising colossus is hard to beat.  If I cast RC and get my target to concentrate on it. I can usually get I close enough to get the kill. Wish mystic had a powerful direct damage spell though.  Oh, one big advantage, you can cast RC while flying, other players have to be on foot when they cast this.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,741
    Do archers use same formula?
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 6,961
    edited April 13
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    Mystic
    Imbuing
    Throwing
    Tactics

    Then you can choose from these:

    Magery
    Anatomy
    Chivalry
    Eval
    Music/Discord
    Bushido
    Whatever

    Lots of choices.


    You are a distance player. Cast RC as the distractor Throw from a distance.  You can drink potions to invis.  You fly away from danger and regroup.  You do not need healing. Mysticism has healing and cure in one.

    I like to put magery in the 5th spot.  Invis. Fields. Evs as an option.

    This is never talked about.  You have a penalty when throwing too close or too far.  You are not Melee:

    Mechanics

    Each weapon has a base and max range available to it, where the base range is modified by the player’s strength to determine the actual range.

    The absolute maximum range is capped. The calculated maximum range a player can throw their weapon is used to determine how accurate their throw actually is when trying to hit a target at a certain distance. This allows the player to have a “sweet-spot” area where their throwing is most effective, while pushing towards their maximum range or throwing while too close to the target results in a less damage or accuracy.

    • Underthrown - If, while equipped, a weapon has a maximum range of six tiles, and a player throws at a player two tiles away (too close) they have a Hit Chance penalty of 12%, but no damage reduction.
    • Perfect - Maximum range of six tiles, thrown a distance of four tiles. No Hit Chance penalty, no damage reduction
    • Overthrown - Maximum range of six tiles, thrown a distance of six tiles. No Hit Chance penalty, but 47% damage reduction.

    This is really an unfair penalty monsters swarm too you sometimes no room to stay 6 or more away coupled with no damage reduction for gargoyles.....
    As designed they are not a melee toon.  My archer rides a crab or charger of the fallen.

    Learn to use the RC as a distracter.  I had no trouble in the spawn with him.  The no armor that you always complain about was a benefit for me.  He is in berserk almost the whole Boss Battle because he is a Gargoyle and has better things.  

    Maybe if you spent more effort learning how to use a template and character type you would see there is no need for damage reduction on a distance template. 

    How do I stay at the distance I want.  Fly to a safe spot, cast RC. Fly to a crowd. Release the RC.
    Invis as needed.  Or use a potion if no magery.

    I use enchant to make my weapon Spell Channeling. Mysticism has single target spells and area spells.  You can block monsters from getting close to you with an energy field, Put your RC on the other side.

    I just grabbed this guy as is.  If I wanted more single target damage I would put Chiv on instead of Anatomy. He missed a Sash one time because he died when a bear ate him, the spawn was very crowded the Boss was up before he returned to fight.

    I found this Gargoyle and my archer/bard were the easiest toons to do the spawn with.  Neither have DCI or a swampy.  Archer used thousands of arrows tho.

    I get all the gargoyle armor from the Dynamic Dungeon events.

    I do not see your handicap.  Maybe learn to use a template for what is intended.



    This guy also can change to melee macing since those weapons also need a high speed suit.
    That is why he has the Anatomy, for healing.  I just grabbed him in a hurry and transferred him to a shard that was still doing the spawn regularly.

    In throwing mode he always has a free hand for potions.  You can drink or toss things that explode.

    Very fun template that can change 3 or 4 skills and work still.


  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,741
    Pawain said:
    McDougle said:
    Pawain said:
    Mystic
    Imbuing
    Throwing
    Tactics

    Then you can choose from these:

    Magery
    Anatomy
    Chivalry
    Eval
    Music/Discord
    Bushido
    Whatever

    Lots of choices.


    You are a distance player. Cast RC as the distractor Throw from a distance.  You can drink potions to invis.  You fly away from danger and regroup.  You do not need healing. Mysticism has healing and cure in one.

    I like to put magery in the 5th spot.  Invis. Fields. Evs as an option.

    This is never talked about.  You have a penalty when throwing too close or too far.  You are not Melee:

    Mechanics

    Each weapon has a base and max range available to it, where the base range is modified by the player’s strength to determine the actual range.

    The absolute maximum range is capped. The calculated maximum range a player can throw their weapon is used to determine how accurate their throw actually is when trying to hit a target at a certain distance. This allows the player to have a “sweet-spot” area where their throwing is most effective, while pushing towards their maximum range or throwing while too close to the target results in a less damage or accuracy.

    • Underthrown - If, while equipped, a weapon has a maximum range of six tiles, and a player throws at a player two tiles away (too close) they have a Hit Chance penalty of 12%, but no damage reduction.
    • Perfect - Maximum range of six tiles, thrown a distance of four tiles. No Hit Chance penalty, no damage reduction
    • Overthrown - Maximum range of six tiles, thrown a distance of six tiles. No Hit Chance penalty, but 47% damage reduction.

    This is really an unfair penalty monsters swarm too you sometimes no room to stay 6 or more away coupled with no damage reduction for gargoyles.....
    As designed they are not a melee toon.  My archer rides a crab or charger of the fallen.

    Learn to use the RC as a distracter.  I had no trouble in the spawn with him.  The no armor that you always complain about was a benefit for me.  He is in berserk almost the whole Boss Battle because he is a Gargoyle and has better things.  

    Maybe if you spent more effort learning how to use a template and character type you would see there is no need for damage reduction on a distance template. I use no DCI on my distance templates.

    How do I stay at the distance I want.  Fly to a safe spot, cast RC. Fly to a crowd. Release the RC.
    Invis as needed.  Or use a potion if no magery.

    I use enchant to make my weapon Spell Channeling. Mysticism has single target spells and area spells.  You can block monsters from getting close to you with an energy field, Put your RC on the other side.

    I just grabbed this guy as is.  If I wanted more single target damage I would put Chiv on instead of Anatomy. He missed a Sash one time because he died when a bear ate him, the spawn was very crowded the Boss was up before he returned to fight.

    I found this Gargoyle and my archer/bard were the easiest toons to do the spawn with.  Neither have DCI or a swampy.  Archer used thousands of arrows tho.

    I get all the gargoyle armor from the Dynamic Dungeon events.

    I do not see your handicap.  Maybe learn to use a template for what is intended.



    This guy also can change to melee macing since those weapons also need a high speed suit.
    That is why he has the Anatomy, for healing.  I just grabbed him in a hurry and transferred him to a shard that was still doing the spawn regularly.

    In flying mode he always has a free hand for potions.  You can drink or toss things that explode.

    Very fun template that can change 3 or 4 skills and work still.


    Just because I point out unfair disadvantages doesn't mean i don't know how to play my character...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 6,961
    Then contribute something useful to the OP.  Tactics or other skills that benefit a thrower.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,741
    Pawain said:
    Then contribute something useful to the OP.  Tactics or other skills that benefit a thrower.
    Well doing away with unfair disadvantages would certainly benefit fit us throwers 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • SarkonSarkon Posts: 53
    Update:  finished my first off-shard thrower.  I realized the silver serpents in Tomb of Kings is a fast and easy way to get silver snake skins, which are used to put spell channeling on a weapon, so I did decide to go full mystic thrower.

    100 throwing
    100 tacs
    100 anatomy
    100 chiv
    100 necro
    100 mystic
    100 focus

    While I do realize it would be more ideal and efficient to make this character an imbued too, Focus just completes the character so much faster and I can always make a second character just for unraveling bags of loot.  I also found Valkyrie Glaives to be relatively cheap on most shards too…so there’s that.  

    All in all, pretty happy with a three day old character already farming where I want him to.  Also, I have not had any issue with throwing distance maneuvering, so those drawbacks seem minor for me, on this budget build, anyways.  Thanks to everyone that contributed!
  • PawainPawain Posts: 6,961
    What do you use necro for?
  • SarkonSarkon Posts: 53
    Vampiric embrace.  Since my gear is bottom line, just a piece by piece reg suit, VE just makes everything else run smoother.  I don’t have to look at my health bar as much, and with RC doing his thing, I’m free to throw and loot as I wish.  I will probably drop it as my suit improves or my imbuer gets higher to make more advanced things.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 173
    edited May 11

    Created a thrower thread on Stratics a while back, here:

    [Throwing] - THROWING TEMPLATE HELP NEEDED | Stratics Community Forums

    My two Throwers look like this:

    ABC Thrower:
    120 Throwing
    120 Tactics
    105 Anatomy (120 with Bracelet)
    100 Chivalry
    115 Resist Spells
    090 Bushido (105 with Ring)
    070 Healing

    I have all Stone suit to get to 55 LMC and use potions to get to 150 Strength and 213 Stamina. Tons of different glaives on hand and full set of Cameos. This character is great for large amount of various PVM encounters, spawning and even some defensive PVP. Lots of different ways to heal (Confidence, Close Wounds, Bandages, Heal Potions), so it's pretty durable build. I had Necro on it at one point to use Vamp form, but wasn't finding it to be worth while. I have a few Glaives with Life Leach as well if I find myself in a tough spot.

    Mystic Thrower:
    120 Throwing
    120 Tactics
    120 Mysticism
    120 Focus
    120 Anatomy
    120 Chivalry

    Just straight 6x120 build on this one. I had healing on him at one point, but between Close Wounds, Cleansing Winds, Heal Pots and Life Leach on some weapons, Healing was just overkill and not best use of points. I have natural 211 Stamina but use Pots to get to 150 Strength. All glaives have Spellchanneling so I can keep casting as necessary. I use Enchant weapon frequently to add an ability and will generally cast an RC and fight behind it. It's a fun build to play and I've mainly used it for PVM settings only at this point. It can help tank and do good amount of damage, while also acting as a utility and support character with some of the Mysticism spells. All Stone suit for 55 LMC, it was a bit of an expensive build to hit all of the stats needed. Generally using EOO instead of relying on Slayer weapons/Cameos. It's not a top tier PVM build, but it's a fun one to play.


    Gear will take a bit longer to come by if you're on a budget, but decent Gargoyle gear is actually pretty cheap outside of the high Stam Stone gear.  Good luck! 

Sign In or Register to comment.